The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
when they’re brown. white people called white because they are, asians and latinos brown because they are so why are blacks called blacks? just wondering. there are asians darker than some black people. majority of black people are brown. i have never seen someone with black skin colour, just very dark brown.

So we can define who gets the N-word pass
Reply 2
Original post by CoONA
So we can define who gets the N-word pass

non blacks say the n word regardless.
probably just due to origins and everyone has stuck with it
Reply 4
non blacks say the n word regardless.

it's too much effort to say dark brown.
Reply 5
Original post by CoONA
it's too much effort to say dark brown.

some aren’t even dark brown though. it’s just a way to separate them from the human race.
Because you don’t call people with naturally tanned skin, like Brazilians for example, “you’re not white you’re beige/brown”. And I’ve never heard someone call a Latino “brown”. We don’t need to specify someone’s exact skin colour, that’s why we have categories.
Reply 7
Because you don’t call people with naturally tanned skin, like Brazilians for example, “you’re not white you’re beige/brown”. And I’ve never heard someone call a Latino “brown”. We don’t need to specify someone’s exact skin colour, that’s why we have categories.

i have seen many people calling latinos brown. i’m just wondering because the rest of them are accurate but not for black people... it’s a stupid way of categorising the human race.
i have seen many people calling latinos brown. i’m just wondering because the rest of them are accurate but not for black people... it’s a stupid way of categorising the human race.

White people aren’t all porcelain white, but still classed as white. It’s not really stupid, but it’s not like you can have a specific option for every skin tone, that’s stupid.
when they’re brown. white people called white because they are, asians and latinos brown because they are so why are blacks called blacks? just wondering. there are asians darker than some black people. majority of black people are brown. i have never seen someone with black skin colour, just very dark brown.

Skin colour that 'white people' have aren't exactly white, but are light skinned. Asians are generally labelled as yellow (most, at least).
They are just labelled like that as it's just easier (one word).
Simply a word used to categorise the area in which his lineage lie, as long as it is not done for any melicius reason par acknowledging who they are then I see nothing wrong with it. We call children children, elderly elderly, what is wrong with catogrising genes as we do age. I don't understand racism at all but do not get people's issue with simple fact, they aren't any less human, that's not what I'm saying, they simply have adapted with slightly different genes. It's a geographic/heritage statement not a colour statement.
The USA seems to have got stuck with its old Jim Crow / 'one drop rule' era definitions - you're Black if you've got any Black ancestor... and we in the UK seem to be catching this meme (largely I think via social media)

So people who'd have be classed as mixed race in the UK say 20 years ago are increasingly being called black here.
White people aren’t all porcelain white, but still classed as white. It’s not really stupid, but it’s not like you can have a specific option for every skin tone, that’s stupid.

Skin colour that 'white people' have aren't exactly white, but are light skinned. Asians are generally labelled as yellow (most, at least).
They are just labelled like that as it's just easier (one word).

Simply a word used to categorise the area in which his lineage lie, as long as it is not done for any melicius reason par acknowledging who they are then I see nothing wrong with it. We call children children, elderly elderly, what is wrong with catogrising genes as we do age. I don't understand racism at all but do not get people's issue with simple fact, they aren't any less human, that's not what I'm saying, they simply have adapted with slightly different genes. It's a geographic/heritage statement not a colour statement.

You’re all quite simply wrong! It’s just a way to separate them from the human race. They are brown and human!
I really don't understand why you are finding it as complicated and dehumanising as you are.
White people are (generally) the lightest, therefore, they are classed as "white", brown people are (generally) darker, therefore, they are classed as "brown" and black people are (generally) the darkest, therefore, they are classed as "black". Simples.
You’re all quite simply wrong! It’s just a way to separate them from the human race. They are brown and human!

Lmao how? The only one separating is you, you've somehow got it in your head that the word "black" which is just a colour is negative and cannot align with "the human race" but that white does align when that is also a colour. Even SJWs aren't this much of schmuck.

I said they are human, you are calling them brown...how is that any different? But I'm not you so I don't know hwo your mind works, but we aren't wrong by any means, we [provided suitable reasons, I respect your opinion though.
White people are not white either but we still call them white.
@everyone on the thread, the OP is clearly lacking brain cells, just ignore and move on before u suffer brain damage by following his/her logic.
thanks x
I'm black and we don't really call ourselves black often, we usually say, mixed, light-skinned, brown-skinned or dark-skinned.
Original post by Dayo03
I'm black and we don't really call ourselves black often, we usually say, mixed, light-skinned, brown-skinned or dark-skinned.

That’s obviously the right way to say it. The most accurate.

Latest

Trending

Trending