The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level religious studies - Philosophy (4th June 2019) predictions?

Hi guys,

Most people seem to be doing AQA but for my OCR lot out there does anyone have any predictions for the exam on Tuesday?

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh i do aqa , but how you feelingg for the exam?
Original post by hira.naz
Hi guys,

Most people seem to be doing AQA but for my OCR lot out there does anyone have any predictions for the exam on Tuesday?
Reply 2
oh nooo:frown: I'm feeling okay, there are a view topics I really don't want to be asked on and ngl I think I've put way too much pressure on myself because I think out of my 3 R.S is my best A-level so I just really wanna do well and out of Ethics, Theology and Philosophy, Philosophy is my best one. But fingers crossed it will all be okay I just don't want a mind blank, do not have time for it.
Wbu? How are you feeling?
Original post by MidLad78
Ahhh i do aqa , but how you feelingg for the exam?
Bang on samee , out the threee its my easiest A level , i mean on aqa we have 2 papers only phil and ethics i meann im ready for it especially cause all the stuff i didnt like has already been asked :smile: so i think it should be all good matter off fact im recapping religious experiences rn and its going all well
oh nooo:frown: I'm feeling okay, there are a view topics I really don't want to be asked on and ngl I think I've put way too much pressure on myself because I think out of my 3 R.S is my best A-level so I just really wanna do well and out of Ethics, Theology and Philosophy, Philosophy is my best one. But fingers crossed it will all be okay I just don't want a mind blank, do not have time for it.
Wbu? How are you feeling?
Reply 4
hahaha before I set up this thread I was reading the AQA thread for the exam and I got so confused because someone mentioned a 10 mark question but for OCR we have 3 40 mark questions to answer so I was thinking urmmm have I been answering the wrong questions for 2 years... but nah it was just cuz you're exam is different.
Anyway, you sound like you're prepared, I'm sure you're gonna ace itttt:smile: Plus we we still have a couple days to go over stuff. I need to go over some scholars but other than that I think I just wanna get this over and done with :') I don't really like religious experiences but it was asked last year so I'm hoping it doesn't come up but we'll seeee
Bang on samee , out the threee its my easiest A level , i mean on aqa we have 2 papers only phil and ethics i meann im ready for it especially cause all the stuff i didnt like has already been asked :smile: so i think it should be all good matter off fact im recapping religious experiences rn and its going all well
3 40 mark questions :eek:, whatttt!! , but thank you as will you , i wish you the best off luck in your exam hope it all goes well which im sure it definitely will best of luck with R.s and all your other a levels:smile:

hahaha before I set up this thread I was reading the AQA thread for the exam and I got so confused because someone mentioned a 10 mark question but for OCR we have 3 40 mark questions to answer so I was thinking urmmm have I been answering the wrong questions for 2 years... but nah it was just cuz you're exam is different.
Anyway, you sound like you're prepared, I'm sure you're gonna ace itttt:smile: Plus we we still have a couple days to go over stuff. I need to go over some scholars but other than that I think I just wanna get this over and done with :') I don't really like religious experiences but it was asked last year so I'm hoping it doesn't come up but we'll seeee
Reply 6
yep, 3 40 mark questions in 2 hours, its not the easiest to get timing right. Thank you so much and good luck to you too for R.S and you're other exams too:smile: all the hard work will be worth it!!
3 40 mark questions :eek:, whatttt!! , but thank you as will you , i wish you the best off luck in your exam hope it all goes well which im sure it definitely will best of luck with R.s and all your other a levels:smile:
Well, I typed up what the predictions might be, and I came across TES, some teaching website thing. and a teacher assumes maybe: Ancient Philosophy (so ofc Plato and Aristotle) might come up, Religious language 20th-century perspectives, so falsification/verification/analogy/myth/language games (you know the rest) and, The problem of evil.
I also was invited to a day to revise with Hugh Cambell who is/was the Chief Examiner, and he said possibly, that Soul, Body and Mind might turn up. I hope I helped in some way. Absolutely terrified for the exam, cause you will never know if OCR will just flip the coin and give us what they gave the last years lot on us. On top of that, good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Woah you revised with Hugh Cambell?? That's pretty cool!! But thanks so much for that, I've had a feeling it would be those topics tbh. Honestly I'm pretty terrified too but it will be alright!! Don't stress out too much, you're gonna go great I'm sure of it, good luck :smile:
Original post by ermiraakk
Well, I typed up what the predictions might be, and I came across TES, some teaching website thing. and a teacher assumes maybe: Ancient Philosophy (so ofc Plato and Aristotle) might come up, Religious language 20th-century perspectives, so falsification/verification/analogy/myth/language games (you know the rest) and, The problem of evil.
I also was invited to a day to revise with Hugh Cambell who is/was the Chief Examiner, and he said possibly, that Soul, Body and Mind might turn up. I hope I helped in some way. Absolutely terrified for the exam, cause you will never know if OCR will just flip the coin and give us what they gave the last years lot on us. On top of that, good luck! :smile:
It was an eye-opener tbh with you, he told us what examiners want and need from us, all sorts of other stuff, and also predicted Sexual ethics and Bonhoeffer will come up for Ethics and Christian thought. I'm trying not to stress tbh with you, I have not had a teacher for 6 months so I have had to teach myself Year 2 Christian thought (and thats a whole mess), and I haven't written an essay or had it marked for 6 months, I am at a massive disadvantage, but it's alright. Also good luck!
Woah you revised with Hugh Cambell?? That's pretty cool!! But thanks so much for that, I've had a feeling it would be those topics tbh. Honestly I'm pretty terrified too but it will be alright!! Don't stress out too much, you're gonna go great I'm sure of it, good luck :smile:
Reply 10
OMG SAME WITH US. Our best best best theology teacher when on maternity leave at the end of year 12 and the substitute was one of the worst teachers I have ever witnessed and considering theology is blumming hard it was not each to teach myself, and frankly philosophy was hard to teach myself too. Looks like we're both in the same boat there. Yessss I have a feeling sexual ethics will come up. But it will all be okay, a little bit of stress is good, it means you care and it will help during the exam with all the adrenaline. Good luck though, honestly it will all be alright, it's all about mind set - you have to trick yourself into thinking that you're excited to take the exam and show the examiners what you know, our minds can be fooled very easily (as descartes would agree ha ha). Anyway GOOD LUCK, YOU ARE GONNA SMASH IT :smile: :smile:
It was an eye-opener tbh with you, he told us what examiners want and need from us, all sorts of other stuff, and also predicted Sexual ethics and Bonhoeffer will come up for Ethics and Christian thought. I'm trying not to stress tbh with you, I have not had a teacher for 6 months so I have had to teach myself Year 2 Christian thought (and thats a whole mess), and I haven't written an essay or had it marked for 6 months, I am at a massive disadvantage, but it's alright. Also good luck!
THE DESCARTES JOKE, oh my that has made my day, I am crying. Yh I am lowkey excited for the exam for some unknown reason, Descartes would approve I reckon. Theology is interesting, but when you don't have a teacher, It's hard to enjoy it. As a firm Marxist, Marx and liberation theology was blissful, but my god, what the actual hell is Theological pluralism and society and whatever that is. I mean ofc I understand it, but it's too hard of a section to teach yourself. AND OMG I had to teach myself the religious language, and you know what that means, loads of crying, I wonder if Popper can falsify my tears tbh. I should be revising, but I'm here procrastinating and worrying LOOOL, I can't write a bloody introduction right now, thats how bad it is. GOOD LUCK WITH REVISION!
OMG SAME WITH US. Our best best best theology teacher when on maternity leave at the end of year 12 and the substitute was one of the worst teachers I have ever witnessed and considering theology is blumming hard it was not each to teach myself, and frankly philosophy was hard to teach myself too. Looks like we're both in the same boat there. Yessss I have a feeling sexual ethics will come up. But it will all be okay, a little bit of stress is good, it means you care and it will help during the exam with all the adrenaline. Good luck though, honestly it will all be alright, it's all about mind set - you have to trick yourself into thinking that you're excited to take the exam and show the examiners what you know, our minds can be fooled very easily (as descartes would agree ha ha). Anyway GOOD LUCK, YOU ARE GONNA SMASH IT :smile: :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Did hugh campbell make any other 'predictions'? Since he's chief examiner he probably knows what's on the paper.
Reply 13
Also what was his advice on what examiners want/need?
Tbh, I did say 'is/was', I cannot remember for the life of me. And he predicted Soul, Mind and Body, cause it hasn't come up, he also predicted Sexual ethics for Ethics, and Bonhoeffer for Christian thought. He after didn't say anything else tbh.
Original post by Ibi6
Did hugh campbell make any other 'predictions'? Since he's chief examiner he probably knows what's on the paper.
Omg thank god there is someone else doing OCR on here! I thought I was alone lol
Really hoping Attributes of God doesn't come up, don't understand it for the life of me :frown:
He said that the majority of the examiners give the benefit of the doubt, also said there's no set way to start your introduction, you could put your thesis at the end or at the start of the intro, it doesn't matter, at least if your judgement is there, its ok. On top of that, he said your judgement needs to be clear because the examiner does not know what you have learnt.

Also, PHILOSOPHERS! I am guessing you have had the idea of having to name all the philosophers in your essay, he stressed its the scholarship used, not the actual philosopher's names. Also, he stressed how examiners hate lists of philosophers in the introduction, so avoid trying to do that.

I hope I am of help, and good luck :smile:
Original post by Ibi6
Also what was his advice on what examiners want/need?
If it does, I will cry, Boethius came up last year, so hopefully, OCR won't do a massive U-turn on us, and just give us attributes again. Also good luck on the exam!
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Omg thank god there is someone else doing OCR on here! I thought I was alone lol
Really hoping Attributes of God doesn't come up, don't understand it for the life of me :frown:
OK, phew, fingers crossed... good luck to you too!!
If it does, I will cry, Boethius came up last year, so hopefully, OCR won't do a massive U-turn on us, and just give us attributes again. Also good luck on the exam!
Reply 19
SAME!!! I'm not revising one topic from each section and nature/attributes of God is my one for Philosophy. It did come up last year so I'm hoping it doesn't come up this year...
Original post by wastedcuriosity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending