The Student Room Group

AS levels and uni applications

Hi,

Currently studying maths, chemistry and biology and in year 12. Everyone at my school does maths AS as ‘practice’. All year I’ve been doing consistently well and been getting As however I feel I had a bad day and may have got a C in the AS. I also did psychology AS and think i did well and may have got an A. Will this C at AS really impact on my application to uni even if my predicted grades are decent at AAA (want to study neuroscience typically AAB)??
Please could someone let me know as I’m really worried, cheers
Often many unis don’t count AS to get in.. normally just your A levels they will look at, with the exception of EPQ which some universities may honour
Ok thanks, they don’t say anything about AS requirements but just thought if they see it they may not want to give me an offer.
Original post by JackMoseley
Often many unis don’t count AS to get in.. normally just your A levels they will look at, with the exception of EPQ which some universities may honour
Original post by smithstar01
Ok thanks, they don’t say anything about AS requirements but just thought if they see it they may not want to give me an offer.

I could understand your worry! They often won’t base decisions over that, and instead look at your A level results instead
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok thanks for your help, may just not include it if it doesn’t go too well!

No worries, I wish you the best of luck!

They do carry UCAS points, so no matter the grade it may be best to include it, as some universities may work based on these points solely/look at them.
Thank you!
Original post by JackMoseley
No worries, I wish you the best of luck!

They do carry UCAS points, so no matter the grade it may be best to include it, as some universities may work based on these points solely/look at them.
No, I didn't do that well in my AS exams but still got all 5 uni offers due to predicted grades :smile:
Hi,

Currently studying maths, chemistry and biology and in year 12. Everyone at my school does maths AS as ‘practice’. All year I’ve been doing consistently well and been getting As however I feel I had a bad day and may have got a C in the AS. I also did psychology AS and think i did well and may have got an A. Will this C at AS really impact on my application to uni even if my predicted grades are decent at AAA (want to study neuroscience typically AAB)??

It does impact your application, you no longer get the benefit of doubt on the accuracy of your predicted grades (I.e. Universities make their own assessment on your grades). Read what Oxford says about the a level reform and taking AS. If Oxford states that it affects you application then I believe most universities have the same position.

You can't choose, all official results have to be recorded on UCAS. It is against the code of conduct to not include official exams. Your teachers may consider your overall performance throughout the year when deciding your predicted grades.
Original post by Mr.noname
You can't choose, all official results have to be recorded on UCAS. It is against the code of conduct to not include official exams.

I know I recorded all mine, but didn’t know it was against the conduct not to.. I retract my statement I made before about being able to chose if the AS goes on there.. my apologies..

Edit: I have removed that part of my previous comment to reduce confusion
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi,

omd same with AS maths so upset with my performance.
Same man :/ was really confident aswell. Atleast it was only the AS more practice for next year!
Original post by HamzaD
omd same with AS maths so upset with my performance.
Reply 12
True we can do this.
Same man :/ was really confident aswell. Atleast it was only the AS more practice for next year!
Hey all!

With regards to panicking about grades, please do try not to!! I know it is easier said than done, but as long as you all tried your best that is all that matters!

If you are worried about what is included, make sure to check out the entry requirements for the specific courses and universities- a lot of them do not include AS Level results. If you are still worried, contact the admissions department for your chosen universities. Our admissions department is more than happy to help and offer advice. Remember as well, universities do look for more than grades. So make sure your personal statement is good, showing your skills, hobbies and interests outside your studies off!!

Hope this is helpful,

Issy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending