History Edexcel Medicine Through Time Watch

BenjiInTheBox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have the exam tomorrow and haven’t really revised for this as much as I should’ve. Can anyone give me some last minute infomation or key facts I should know about? Looking for mostly content, I already know about the question structures
Shrektacle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can’t say it’ll help much but here’s some basics
Ww1/trenches: Arras and Cambrai were chalky. The sommes and Ypres were muddy.
Unhygienic, infection, NYD-N (shell shock) Trench fever and trench foot. REMEMBER THE EVACUATION ROUTE.
Medicine through time:
Medieval : supernatural, astrology, four humours, Galen and Hippocrates apothecaries and wise women
Renaissance : Vesalius, Harvey, Sydenham. Royal society and anatomy. New discoveries that didn’t really help medicine but did help understanding. Universities
Industrial period: government involvement(public health acts) philanthropists. Chadwick(poor relief), Snow(waterborne disease), Jenner(vaccines), Pasteur (germ theory), Koch (germ identification), Lister (Antiseptics) , Simpson(Anaesthetics), Nightingale (nursing)
Modern era: Fleming, Florey, Chain (penicillin), Public health initiatives, NHS, Watson and crick (DeOxyribonucleic acid), genome project, X-rays , MRIs, CAT scans.

HOPE THIS HELPED
BenjiInTheBox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Shrektacle)
Can’t say it’ll help much but here’s some basics
Ww1/trenches: Arras and Cambrai were chalky. The sommes and Ypres were muddy.
Unhygienic, infection, NYD-N (shell shock) Trench fever and trench foot. REMEMBER THE EVACUATION ROUTE.
Medicine through time:
Medieval : supernatural, astrology, four humours, Galen and Hippocrates apothecaries and wise women
Renaissance : Vesalius, Harvey, Sydenham. Royal society and anatomy. New discoveries that didn’t really help medicine but did help understanding. Universities
Industrial period: government involvement(public health acts) philanthropists. Chadwick(poor relief), Snow(waterborne disease), Jenner(vaccines), Pasteur (germ theory), Koch (germ identification), Lister (Antiseptics) , Simpson(Anaesthetics), Nightingale (nursing)
Modern era: Fleming, Florey, Chain (penicillin), Public health initiatives, NHS, Watson and crick (DeOxyribonucleic acid), genome project, X-rays , MRIs, CAT scans.

HOPE THIS HELPED
Thank you anyway
Aryan3031
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
how did everyone find it
JOrange
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I only wrote 2 paragraphs for the 12 mark question due to running out of time. (Edexcel). Do you think I could still get high marks?
Aryan3031
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
if you didn't include your own information the maximum you can get is 8
(Original post by JOrange)
I only wrote 2 paragraphs for the 12 mark question due to running out of time. (Edexcel). Do you think I could still get high marks?
JOrange
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I included own information. I didn’t include both bullet points thought I don’t think.
(Original post by Aryan3031)
if you didn't include your own information the maximum you can get is 8
aw0905
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Which question did everyone do for the last one?
Rizen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That's some real cringe stuff ^^^^
ANAK2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Aryan3031)
how did everyone find it
it was good! much better than i expected. what did y'all choose- qn 5 or 6?
ANAK2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i did 6
(Original post by aw0905)
Which question did everyone do for the last one?
aw0905
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ANAK2002)
i did 6
So did I, what did u write about
grade9skrrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did q5 and weote about church main institution for learning, hospitals beiing a place of hospice, lack of scientific understandinf due to holding of contempory beliefs and reliance on supernatural treatments such as spells and enchanted amulets so much so that medical treatments faded, and society sought of treatments to consist of spells rather than physical treatment
ANAK2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
umm i did mini introduction
first para: included abt NHS and all the GP ambulances etc and how in 1960 government started funding and managing it etc
second para: then i went on to talk abt public health act and abt sanitation, disposing sewage and how it was influenced by great stink. Also government invested in new sewer system led by Joseph bazzelgette.
also...for my third para i wrote abt government lifestyle campaigns and the fight against lung cancer in 21st century.
then i did mini conclusion abt how government intervention and neglecting "laissez faire" helped to influence public attitudes, etc and basically answered qn again

(Original post by aw0905)
So did I, what did u write about
grade9skrrr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Q1) trenches i spoke about trench foot and post traumatic stress disorder
for the 4 marker on medicine i spoke about how in industrial period cause of disease began qith spontaneous generation till louis pasteur said germ theory, wherein in modern day c1900-present i spoke about DNA, genes and hereditary diseases due to recessive or dominant genes such as hunningtons disease
ANAK2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ooo i did the same thing for 4 marker..for trench illness i wrote trench fever and trench foot
(Original post by grade9skrrr)
Q1) trenches i spoke about trench foot and post traumatic stress disorder
for the 4 marker on medicine i spoke about how in industrial period cause of disease began qith spontaneous generation till louis pasteur said germ theory, wherein in modern day c1900-present i spoke about DNA, genes and hereditary diseases due to recessive or dominant genes such as hunningtons disease
grade9skrrr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I had around 15minutes left at the end, i literally went to Q5 and did all the capitals etc to get spag marks.
grade9skrrr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did about a page for a 4 marker,3 pages for 12marker, and 6 pages for 20marker
ANAK2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
wow..tho i write small so haha
I had around 15minutes left at the end, i literally went to Q5 and did all the capitals etc to get spag marks.
(Original post by grade9skrrr)
I did about a page for a 4 marker,3 pages for 12marker, and 6 pages for 20marker
aw0905
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ANAK2002)
umm i did mini introduction
first para: included abt NHS and all the GP ambulances etc and how in 1960 government started funding and managing it etc
second para: then i went on to talk abt public health act and abt sanitation, disposing sewage and how it was influenced by great stink. Also government invested in new sewer system led by Joseph bazzelgette.
also...for my third para i wrote abt government lifestyle campaigns and the fight against lung cancer in 21st century.
then i did mini conclusion abt how government intervention and neglecting "laissez faire" helped to influence public attitudes, etc and basically answered qn again
Omg urs was so structured I legit had no time at the end so just started scribbling it down and it was so unstructured 😩
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads