The Student Room Group

Edexcel History 9-1 Crime and Punishment & Whitechapel Predictions

My predictions for the 12 marker and the 16 marker is:

The 12 Marker: I think it will be on why was Highway robbery more common or less common

And for the 16 marker one of the questions might be about The derek bentley case and its significance for the abolition of the death penalty.

And for the whitechapel, it is unlikely HIGHLY to be on Jewish immigration

What do you think?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
i guess it is going to be
12 - about how ways of the police changed between 1900-2019
16 - 5 - normans
6 - 1500-1900
Reply 2
No it wasnt it was on nazi germany and hitler.
Reply 3
we are doing crime and punishment as a thematic study not weimar germany
Original post by POO1111
No it wasnt it was on nazi germany and hitler.
Reply 4
yeah
Original post by inayah133
Did you just do the exam?
Reply 5
It was a good range of questions. What did u write for the 4 marker ?
Reply 6
same thing
Original post by Jeff245
we are doing crime and punishment as a thematic study not weimar germany
Reply 7
I wrote about heresy and how the tolpuddle martyrs made the amazing speech in 1914 because that was WW1. not sure tho
Original post by Esaharif
I wrote how the Tolpuddle Martyrs were sentenced to seven years transportation to Australia and Conscientious Objectors, who refused to support the war in any way were imprisoned- made to do hard labour and faced solitary confinement.
Original post by Esaharif
the first question scared the **** out of me for the rest of the test but luckily it was gd after that. BTW what did u write for the first question about the Whitechapel vigilance commitee plz...!!!
My first point is that they undermined the met police and CID 1888 Ripper investigation as they had members who lacked experience. Also, they received over 300 hoax letters which was published that caused unnecessary tension and instability allowing the killer to escape and creating more turmoil and confusion.My second point was that they were frustrated with the police as they did not offer rewards so they set up their scheme which offered rewards to gain witness statements. They wanted to catch the Ripper by bribing people as they believed that no one put their invoice forward for the fear of being killed also. This evidence may not have been completely accurate which undermined the investigation further. Also, they had night patrols to increase their chances of catching the killer.
I=
Original post by lilabs364
the first question scared the **** out of me for the rest of the test but luckily it was gd after that. BTW what did u write for the first question about the Whitechapel vigilance commitee plz...!!!

I wrote that they were a group of people who were dissatisfied with the MET polices investigation of the Ripper case and saw them as incompetent. So they decided to take matters into their own hands. One way of doing this was by hiring private investigators and detectives in the search for the killer. Can't remember what else I put honestly.
I wrote something very similar to this!
Original post by Leyla3997
My first point is that they undermined the met police and CID 1888 Ripper investigation as they had members who lacked experience. Also, they received over 300 hoax letters which was published that caused unnecessary tension and instability allowing the killer to escape and creating more turmoil and confusion.My second point was that they were frustrated with the police as they did not offer rewards so they set up their scheme which offered rewards to gain witness statements. They wanted to catch the Ripper by bribing people as they believed that no one put their invoice forward for the fear of being killed also. This evidence may not have been completely accurate which undermined the investigation further. Also, they had night patrols to increase their chances of catching the killer.
16 marker

the attitude of the authorities was the main reason for changes in the use of the death penalty in the period 1700 - present
how far do you agree
you may use the following in your answer :
public executions
derek bentley

any ideas on what points i could make ??

Quick Reply