The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do LGBTQ+ issues get enough attention?

I've often seen things on social media about friends who are LGBTQ+ or about news stories concerning these kinds of issues to do with gender, sexuality, etc.

But part of the purpose of Pride (as I understand it) is to raise awareness of issues facing LGBTQ+ minorities in society, including those in other countries still severely oppressed.

Now I'm not suggesting in any way that Pride has little purpose or that LGBTQ+ should receive less representation than it currently does, but I wanted to think about whether this is simply my exposure as a young person who is sympathetic to these ideas and issues who sees it as a very talked-about thing, or whether there is so much more room for the discussion to grow. Plus where the media attention needs to be focussing on, perhaps internationally to the countries where LGBTQ+ people still don't have equal legal rights?

Do you feel that LGBTQ+ issues are talked about enough in the media/society?

What do the media/society need to focus on now in the context of LGBTQ+ issues?

Please bear in mind:
- This is a thread where people may disagree, and that's okay, just please be respectful to all users and their opinions - TSR is for everyone.

- This thread is not suggesting that LGBTQ+ issues are discussed too much, or should be talked about less.

You can join in with other pride discussions here. :pride:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They get attention, just not the right attention, and unfortunately there aren't enough people with influence who give enough of a **** to try help.
In my opinion, no - not the right kind anyway. There are so many comments like 'why do we still need pride?' 'well let's have straight pride' which show how far we still have to go. I don't think people realise that LGBTQ+ still face a lot of abuse in the UK, and even the death penalty in some countries.

I don't think we have enough representation in the media, TV shows, films etc. Don't get me wrong, it's getting better but still not great. That goes for people of different cultures, abilities etc. too. When the TV show Arthur had a gay wedding in it, there was some outcry about that, which again shows how far we have to go. These things aren't just put in for the sake of it, but children (and adults) can't just be sheltered from it, LGBTQ+ people, weddings, communities etc. exist. Trying to stop that being in the media won't 'get rid of LGBTQ+ people'. Another thing is people saying 'oh well showing LGBTQ+ things in the media will just make children gay' - first, that is not a bad things, people can be who they want to be - but also it's not true. Like showing murders, wars (not that LGBTQ+ is negative like violence) etc, it doesn't just suddenly cause someone to be violent or wanting to start a war.

These protests against LGBTQ+ teaching at schools are ridiculous in my opinion too. We wouldn't stop bi-racial relationships being shown or talked about. These relationships exist and will not just go away. Teaching children from a young age about different family set ups is so key to reducing homophobia, racism - yet some people are trying to stop that. Also a lot of people have felt LGBTQ+ from a young age, having these conversations can stop things like harming and people not being able to talk and therefore sadly taking their own lives.

I think a lot of people are getting better with LGBTQ+ issues, but it's certainly not anywhere close to where it needs to be. I fear that some of the comments in this thread on TSR, which is a fairly liberal and young site anyway, will show that.
I think the LGBT community is getting the wrong attention. In the last 30 years, STDs have been associated with the LGBT community. AIDS was previously known as Gay-Related-Immune-Deficiency-Syndrome. Furthermore things like gay pride seem to be focused on being flamboyant, loud and colourful rather than raising issues like LGBT+ rights. I think some of the actions of the community has given the community a bad name. Half the people I know think LGBT people are promiscuous p*rverts who have gender issues.

What we need to do?
Focus on LGBT rights and people’s acceptance of us. We cannot just dissipate our energy on useless events. We need to force the government to increase education on sexuality and other things like race and gender too so we can stop homophobia, racism and sexism from prevailing
They get a fair amount of attention but like there’s a difference between getting attention and educating people who aren’t lgbt community.

As well as issues surrounding the community around the world, personally I think people should like educate what the different terms mean (believe me I’m pansexual and I’ve had to explain to people so many times what it means it’s so annoying), the past oppression and difficulties the community has gone through and ways to like take stands against people who are anti lgbt.

Idk if I’m like making sense but I think you get my drift
Original post by BurstingBubbles
In my opinion, no - not the right kind anyway. There are so many comments like 'why do we still need pride?' 'well let's have straight pride' which show how far we still have to go. I don't think people realise that LGBTQ+ still face a lot of abuse in the UK, and even the death penalty in some countries.

I don't think we have enough representation in the media, TV shows, films etc. Don't get me wrong, it's getting better but still not great. That goes for people of different cultures, abilities etc. too. When the TV show Arthur had a gay wedding in it, there was some outcry about that, which again shows how far we have to go. These things aren't just put in for the sake of it, but children (and adults) can't just be sheltered from it, LGBTQ+ people, weddings, communities etc. exist. Trying to stop that being in the media won't 'get rid of LGBTQ+ people'. Another thing is people saying 'oh well showing LGBTQ+ things in the media will just make children gay' - first, that is not a bad things, people can be who they want to be - but also it's not true. Like showing murders, wars (not that LGBTQ+ is negative like violence) etc, it doesn't just suddenly cause someone to be violent or wanting to start a war.

These protests against LGBTQ+ teaching at schools are ridiculous in my opinion too. We wouldn't stop bi-racial relationships being shown or talked about. These relationships exist and will not just go away. Teaching children from a young age about different family set ups is so key to reducing homophobia, racism - yet some people are trying to stop that. Also a lot of people have felt LGBTQ+ from a young age, having these conversations can stop things like harming and people not being able to talk and therefore sadly taking their own lives.

I think a lot of people are getting better with LGBTQ+ issues, but it's certainly not anywhere close to where it needs to be. I fear that some of the comments in this thread on TSR, which is a fairly liberal and young site anyway, will show that.

Okay slight rant over :colondollar: a few ideas on how it can be improved:

- general education and talking about LGBTQ+ (as well as different cultures, races, disabilities) from a young age
- better representation on TV shows/films. Yes we need some of the coming out stories to help people who are still not out, but also we need characters who just happen to be LGBTQ+ without some elaborate coming out or drawing attention to it
- people being more open to ideas in the LGBTQ+ (difficult to change, I know). But people being more willing to learn e.g. about gender identity. Being open to asking sensible and sensitive questions to people who are LGBTQ+
- people admitting when they've make a mistake, e.g. is they used the wrong pronoun just apologise and use the correct one (if they know it). Even LGBTQ+ people make these mistakes, but it's how you then correct yourself and reflect on it which matters.
- better support available e.g. LGBTQ+ counselling. This fits in with better health and mental health services required too

Any other ideas, anyone? :tongue:
Original post by Celal2001
I think the LGBT community is getting the wrong attention. In the last 30 years, STDs have been associated with the LGBT community. AIDS was previously known as Gay-Related-Immune-Deficiency-Syndrome. Furthermore things like gay pride seem to be focused on being flamboyant, loud and colourful rather than raising issues like LGBT+ rights. I think some of the actions of the community has given the community a bad name. Half the people I know think LGBT people are promiscuous p*rverts who have gender issues.

What we need to do?
Focus on LGBT rights and people’s acceptance of us. We cannot just dissipate our energy on useless events. We need to force the government to increase education on sexuality and other things like race and gender too so we can stop homophobia, racism and sexism from prevailing

I agree with the education part of this, totally. I think we still should have pride to celebrate and raise awareness, as long as it's done right :smile:
I think LGBT education is really important. There's so many people asking "well why should we have to teach our kids in sex-ed about gay relationships". I could ask why should we have to teach them about straight relationships? I think the main point which will signify advancement will be reducing heteronormativity. I don't have a problem with straight people and straight relationships, I just find it a bit hypocritical when they ask us "did this show really need a gay character" when the majority of TV shows are streched out heterosexual drama. Like jeez.
Reply 8
There's more than enough attention.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
I've often seen things on social media about friends who are LGBTQ+ or about news stories concerning these kinds of issues to do with gender, sexuality, etc.

But part of the purpose of Pride (as I understand it) is to raise awareness of issues facing LGBTQ+ minorities in society, including those in other countries still severely oppressed.

Now I'm not suggesting in any way that Pride has little purpose or that LGBTQ+ should receive less representation than it currently does, but I wanted to think about whether this is simply my exposure as a young person who is sympathetic to these ideas and issues who sees it as a very talked-about thing, or whether there is so much more room for the discussion to grow. Plus where the media attention needs to be focussing on, perhaps internationally to the countries where LGBTQ+ people still don't have equal legal rights?

Do you feel that LGBTQ+ issues are talked about enough in the media/society?

What do the media/society need to focus on now in the context of LGBTQ+ issues?

Please bear in mind:
- This is a thread where people may disagree, and that's okay, just please be respectful to all users and their opinions - TSR is for everyone.

- This thread is not suggesting that LGBTQ+ issues are discussed too much, or should be talked about less.

You can join in with other pride discussions here. :pride:

Are you serious? We hear nothing but. LGB issues dominate media, streets with pride etc.
In my opinion in some cases they get too much attention in schools (about 15 out of the 20 assemblies i have had at school this year have been LGBTQ+ related (no exaggeration)). Now I know this isn't the same in all schools but telling a bunch on 11-16 year olds the same thing time and time again isn't going to help much, in fact since we have had so many assemblies on the LGBTQ+ community, students are just not paying attention to any of the points raised. However, I do think in society issues are not talked about enough or in the right way sometimes, but I do believe that the way that media/society talk about and accept the LGBTQ+ community is improving and that if we follow the positive trend set over the past few years by Pride months, parades, ect, than in a few years time I think we should be in a good position.

I know some people may disagree with the first point I made however, that is what I believe based on personal experience of a 15 year old in an average secondary school.
A recent experience with my neighbor who happens to be gay, (I'm not, for the record) forever changed the way I see the whole thing about LGBTQ and for the better as well.I've always supported whole heartedly the freedom of choice about one's sexuality, but getting to know my neighbor beyond just the occasional greeting has helped amplify my support for it all. :smile:
I think there's a huge difference between the level of attention and the quality of attention. Is there a lot of attention paid? Yes. Is there appropriate attention paid? Absolutely not.

There seems to be a trend to talk about why there's not a straight pride (the simple answer is you should be thankful there's not need for one, because you've not been persecuted throughout history for your sexuality) or to talk as if LGBT rights are done because same sex marriage was won, yet homophobic and transphobic discrimination is rampant , even from within the community - biphobia from L&G (the pick a side nonsense) and transphobia from across the board (even from trans people themselves weirdly, mostly transmeds who start arguing enbys aren't real and those who don't experience dysphoria in the same way are trenders) - although it must be said that that's miniscule compared to that driven predominantly by cishet folk. Then we see the sorts of arguments in Birmingham at the moment, opposing LGBT inclusive education because "too young" (they're learning age appropriate content, we're not teaching 5 year olds the intricacies of fisting) while kids are taught heteronormativity from birth without issues (how many fairy tales follow the format of princess in distress who is awarded to the male hero for heroing, then they love each other and live happily ever after? Or more pertinently, how many don't follow that format?) and cissexism is rampant (we see talk of "what if they regret it", when the regret rates are very low, and the basis of the argument is that cis lives matter more), and it can only be won through long term education and normalisation of LGBTQ identities, there's no easy fix
Original post by SMEGGGY
Are you serious? We hear nothing but. LGB issues dominate media, streets with pride etc.

And yet you still get prominent politicians going on tv saying stupid stuff like being gay might one day be cured by science.
Original post by James2312
And yet you still get prominent politicians going on tv saying stupid stuff like being gay might one day be cured by science.

And you can stop this?they say all sorts. No complete prejudice or hatred will ever be eradicated this is reality, unfortunately
*shrug* Can only speak from my POV, but it gets a truckload more attention, acceptance and open discussion than it used to.

There's only a finite amount of attention to go around, past a point you're demanding it be at the expense of other groups.
Original post by SMEGGGY
And you can stop this?they say all sorts. No complete prejudice or hatred will ever be eradicated this is reality, unfortunately

If she'd suggested a similar thing about black people or jewish people she wouldn't be an MP this morning.As it is the Brexit party has yet to offer any denunciation suggesting they agree with those views.Clearly there is still a way to go.
Not the right kind, no. Characters in TV shows need to be gay as a background trait and not their whole character e.g Bill in doctor who had to interject about liking women every 2 seconds which is just going to alienate people and isn't realistic. LGBT people are just people that happen to be LGBT and should be treated as such by the media. First dates is a good example of this, they have gay, trans etc dates but the whole focus isn't on that it's just a normal date as it should be. LGBT sex education still has a long way to go as well. In my school it wasn't even touched on and I can't say that rolling a condom onto a wooden penis replica has served me any use in my life and I doubt it ever will. It needs to be a normal part of the sex ed curriculum and not something that can be contested or protested about.
Reply 18
From my pov it seems to get more than enough (I dont like in the UK) if they want to be treated as equals then it seems somewhat counterproductive to constantly put them on a pedestal.
I'd say no, and especially so when it comes to the T+ part of the acronym - LGB gets some level of coverage, though the quality is questionable, but the further through the acronym you go, the less coverage there is.

I think part of what needs to be done to address this is to have more coverage in mainstream TV; we need more characters who happen to be LGBT+ without their storyline revolving around it, and we need people to be more open to education on the topic. It's fine not to understand something, but you should be open to learning more about it imo.

Latest

Trending

Trending