The Student Room Group

Advice Crashing Computing

Planning on doing a crash higher in computing this year along with advanced highers in maths, physics and chemistry. I haven't done computing since S2 and although I know I need to catch up and learn Python, has anyone got advice to help?
Hello, I have only done N5 Computing this year but I will be doing Higher Computing. I would recommend you to also learn about databases and html with css (And I think a bit of Javascript for higher) and programming and its appropriate algorithms such as: linear search, count occurences, and etc. They come up in assignments and in question papers.
Original post by i cAnT tHinK
Planning on doing a crash higher in computing this year along with advanced highers in maths, physics and chemistry. I haven't done computing since S2 and although I know I need to catch up and learn Python, has anyone got advice to help?
Reply 2
Ho boy. I reckon the programming aspect is gonna be hardest for me but my teacher's going to give me N5 notes to look over so hopefully I can learn the coursework during my free periods
Reply 3
Just moved into our computing class for Higher this year; we have 2 6th year's who are crashing Higher. If you're really dedicated, then I would recommend it. The course looks very easy if I'm being honest; we started today with a double period of computing to end off the day and looked at SUB's (where all of the programming goes in between).

In regards to national 5, the hardest part for you will be software development. Databases and web development should be fairly easy. Software development took me a few months until I was very confident with writing programs; now it is easy to look at a problem, and implement the code. Systems is where a lot more theory is involved, you might find you spend more time on that part of the course trying to learn definitions, the other aspects are more practically based.

You're doing mathematics as well, if you find that easy, you shouldn't have much of a problem with computing science; the two generally go together; they are the subjects I will pick if I go into advanced higher, depending on my results this year. Physics is also seen to compare slightly with computing science.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. I'd think about the stress of having to do 3 advanced highers + 1 higher. Personally, if I went into 6th year, I'd only take 2 subjects; advanced higher mathematics and computing science. The main thing to look at is would you really use it in the future? If not, I'd assume that it's mainly to go in your application for University; which can be beneficial, but with 3 advanced highers, you'd already be cruising. If computing comes naturally to you as well, then I would go for it; if you can handle the pressure and find time to balance your other subjects, because the workload for 3 advanced highers will be immense; that's like studying 2 courses at University.
Original post by Strelzo
because the workload for 3 advanced highers will be immense; that's like studying 2 courses at University.

3 AHs isn't an equivalent workload to doing 2 uni courses :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Strelzo
Just moved into our computing class for Higher this year; we have 2 6th year's who are crashing Higher. If you're really dedicated, then I would recommend it. The course looks very easy if I'm being honest; we started today with a double period of computing to end off the day and looked at SUB's (where all of the programming goes in between).

In regards to national 5, the hardest part for you will be software development. Databases and web development should be fairly easy. Software development took me a few months until I was very confident with writing programs; now it is easy to look at a problem, and implement the code. Systems is where a lot more theory is involved, you might find you spend more time on that part of the course trying to learn definitions, the other aspects are more practically based.

You're doing mathematics as well, if you find that easy, you shouldn't have much of a problem with computing science; the two generally go together; they are the subjects I will pick if I go into advanced higher, depending on my results this year. Physics is also seen to compare slightly with computing science.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. I'd think about the stress of having to do 3 advanced highers + 1 higher. Personally, if I went into 6th year, I'd only take 2 subjects; advanced higher mathematics and computing science. The main thing to look at is would you really use it in the future? If not, I'd assume that it's mainly to go in your application for University; which can be beneficial, but with 3 advanced highers, you'd already be cruising. If computing comes naturally to you as well, then I would go for it; if you can handle the pressure and find time to balance your other subjects, because the workload for 3 advanced highers will be immense; that's like studying 2 courses at University.

Yeah I'm pretty confident with both maths and physics but in our school we have to take 4 subjects in 6th year regardless of what they are (although most people take maybe 2 or 3 AHs and a skive subject like bakery). I'm hoping I'll be alright but yeah the workload might just kill me haha
Reply 6
Original post by i cAnT tHinK
Yeah I'm pretty confident with both maths and physics but in our school we have to take 4 subjects in 6th year regardless of what they are (although most people take maybe 2 or 3 AHs and a skive subject like bakery). I'm hoping I'll be alright but yeah the workload might just kill me haha

Lol, definitely xD. 4 sounds insane, we could take 1 in our school if we wanted to lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Labrador99
3 AHs isn't an equivalent workload to doing 2 uni courses :confused:

Pretty much is (if you actually put the work in to get a very good grade) because like I mentioned, Advanced Highers count towards your first year at University; which has to be somewhat equivalent to the workload you'd get for studying 2 Uni courses (probably even 3) in your first year.
Original post by Strelzo
Pretty much is (if you actually put the work in to get a very good grade) because like I mentioned, Advanced Highers count towards your first year at University; which has to be somewhat equivalent to the workload you'd get for studying 2 Uni courses (probably even 3) in your first year.

Not sure whether we're at cross purposes here, as not sure if by '2 courses' you mean double the entirety of what you'd do in year 1 of a degree (which from the original wording of 3 AHs being like studying 2 courses at uni, was what seemed to be implied (though sorry if I misinterpreted there!)), or if you mean just two of the three subjects you'd generally study in first year...Either way, 3 well done AHs allows you direct entry into second year in a lot of courses, so could be considered there or thereabouts equivalent (albeit not usually something that's recommended).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Labrador99
Not sure whether we're at cross purposes here, as not sure if by '2 courses' you mean double the entirety of what you'd do in year 1 of a degree (which from the original wording of 3 AHs being like studying 2 courses at uni, was what seemed to be implied (though sorry if I misinterpreted there!)), or if you mean just two of the three subjects you'd generally study in first year...Either way, 3 well done AHs allows you direct entry into second year in a lot of courses, so could be considered there or thereabouts equivalent.

Basically what I meant was 1 Advanced Higher = First year at University.

After all, if you complete Advanced Highers; once accepted into University you go straight into your second year.
Original post by Strelzo
Basically what I meant was 1 Advanced Higher = First year at University.

After all, if you complete Advanced Highers; once accepted into University you go straight into your second year.

Not sure who told you about that, but would be double checking the rest of their advice, as one advanced higher is definitely not equivalent to the entirety of the first year of a degree...3 advanced highers (done well) is what would be as equivalent as you can get to first year uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending