The Student Room Group

Retaking A-levels and redoing coursework...

So I am in year 13, almost at the end now, and whilst I'm hopeful and confident that I will do well in my exams. Realisation has hit me that that means bugger all because my coursework (apparently) isn't too strong...

I currently study
- Economics AQA (no c/w)
- English Lit OCR (C / W required - I believe I got B / C in this)
- History AQA ( C / W required - I don't think I did too well in this)

The university grade requirements that I have to meet are AAA - however with my poor c/w, achieving these grade almost seems unlikely.

The question I'm asking is regarding redoing year 13. I've heard that you can do this but there are few answers for my questions online. What I want to know is:
A) is it even possible for me to re-sit or does my scenario have to be extreme?
B) is it possible to resubmit coursework - and would I be allowed to improve and then submit?
C) I've heard that some people retake the whole year whereas some people just resit exams in January but don't attend school every day - are these true?

My insurance choice for university offers more forgiving grade requirements but I've changed my mind about that university and am, ( to be frank ) rather put off by it.
I'm desperate to not only get AAA in my A levels but also attend my first choice uni.
If it means I have to repeat year 13 ( if that's even possible) so be it!
could someone who knows the answers please let me know... Thanks a lot.
Please can someone answer this as I am in a similar situation and would be extremely grateful of whether the three questions asked are possible?
Reply 2
A) You can re-sit (which means you take the exams next Summer although you'll probably need to pay for the exam entries) but it is less likely you'll be able to retake (re-do the year). You'd have to ask your college.
B) If you are re-sitting it is extremely difficult to re-submit the NEA as there is no one to authenticate the work as yours - unless you current centre lets you do it.
C) There are no January exams in England.
Thanks a lot! Atleast I am now aware that with the remaining exams, I ought to be as optimistic as possible x
Reply 4
Hey, what did you end up doing?
I am also curious too.
Original post by Dbetts1
Hey, what did you end up doing?
so what happens with coursework, do you redo that as well?
Reply 7
Original post by jadedlad
so what happens with coursework, do you redo that as well?

YOu don't have to - you can carry forward the marks you scored on the NEA the first time round.
what if they were crap as well lol, i got confirmed a C in my geography and history coursework.. so that would really pull down my grades even if i actually smashed my exams
Original post by Compost
YOu don't have to - you can carry forward the marks you scored on the NEA the first time round.
Reply 9
Original post by jadedlad
what if they were crap as well lol, i got confirmed a C in my geography and history coursework.. so that would really pull down my grades even if i actually smashed my exams

If you can find somewhere willing to let you re-submit the NEA when you re-sit then you can re-do it but you don't have to.

Quick Reply

Latest