The Student Room Group

Can I do btec level 3 business and business Alevel?

Can I do so?
Yes if your college agree but why would you want to?
Not really, a level 3 BTEC diploma is usually done alone and it's useless to just have one A Level.
Reply 3
I mean that I have a business alevel already
Original post by PQ
Yes if your college agree but why would you want to?
Reply 4
I mean that I have a business Alevel already
Original post by Thnvig

Original post by businessbria
Not really, a level 3 BTEC diploma is usually done alone and it's useless to just have one A Level.
Original post by Thnvig
I mean that I have a business Alevel already

If you already have one, you must have finished sixth form/college correct? What are your plans? A btec would be worth more than just the one a level but I dont know the chances of you being able to do so.
Original post by Thnvig

Ok. But why do you want to do a btec as well? What do you hope to use the btec qualification for?
Reply 7
If like to gain more ucas points which is why I want yo do a btec in one year
If you already have one, you must have finished sixth form/college correct? What are your plans? A btec would be worth more than just the one a level but I dont know the chances of you being able to do so.
If you have A level Business, you won't be able to do a BTEC in Business. It might get you extra UCAS points, but it will be in two overlapping subjects which will be no good for University.
You could ask the college if they will allow you to do a BTEC in another subject (Law and / or IT are good options to go alongside Business).
Reply 9
Ah ok thanks for that. So I could do a btec 90 credit in IT for one year and apply for law in uni?
Original post by bamtutor
If you have A level Business, you won't be able to do a BTEC in Business. It might get you extra UCAS points, but it will be in two overlapping subjects which will be no good for University.
You could ask the college if they will allow you to do a BTEC in another subject (Law and / or IT are good options to go alongside Business).
90 Credits is equal to One and half A levels. If you have an A level already (depends on the grade), you might be able to get sufficient UCAS points, but you probably need to get a Distinction Star in the BTEC. Check some Uni websites and see what they require for entry. Then see if that is achievable with the options you have.

Although if you want to study Law at Uni, an Applied law BTEC is more applicable than IT.

Original post by Thnvig
Ah ok thanks for that. So I could do a btec 90 credit in IT for one year and apply for law in uni?
Reply 11
ok thanks for that
Original post by bamtutor
90 Credits is equal to One and half A levels. If you have an A level already (depends on the grade), you might be able to get sufficient UCAS points, but you probably need to get a Distinction Star in the BTEC. Check some Uni websites and see what they require for entry. Then see if that is achievable with the options you have.

Although if you want to study Law at Uni, an Applied law BTEC is more applicable than IT.
Original post by Thnvig
If like to gain more ucas points which is why I want yo do a btec in one year

You don’t get extra tariff points from additional qualifications in the same subject. Only one qualification in each subject attracts tariff points.

If you want to go to a specific university/course and don’t currently have the required grades/qualifications then talk to that university to ask their advice on what you should do to have the best application - don’t just pick qualifications willy nilly

Most btecs are worth exactly the same as one A level in tariff points. 90 credit and extended diploma courses are less common.
Reply 14
Ah ok. I've checked and Hertfordshire accept me with a 90 credit diploma and business Alevel so that's fine then.
Original post by PQ
Most btecs are worth exactly the same as one A level in tariff points. 90 credit and extended diploma courses are less common.
Original post by Thnvig
Ah ok. I've checked and Hertfordshire accept me with a 90 credit diploma and business Alevel so that's fine then.

Did you make it clear to them that you were taking the btec in the same subject as your A level?
Reply 16
I think I'd do the btec in IT which is what I told them and they said that is fine.
Original post by PQ
Did you make it clear to them that you were taking the btec in the same subject as your A level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending