The Student Room Group

Official Eid Al-Fitr 2019 Thread

Assalaamu 'aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu :smile:

Eid has been confirmed and will be celebrated on Tuesday 4th June for those going by Saudi Arabia's moon sighting. For those who aren't, I believe your Eid will be Wednesday 5th June. If you see people debating which day to celebrate it online, then stay away from it as it serves no benefit; just know if you started your fast a day before others then celebrate your Eid before others (Tuesday), and if you started Ramadhan after others then celebrate your Eid after others (Wednesday).

The following reminders apply to all of us, and I am not sinless or without fault myself, so this is all a reminder to me too:

For many of us, Ramadhan was a much needed spiritual recharge, and for others it was the start of a great journey towards becoming practicing, but for some of us it was disappointong because perhaps we didn't do as much as we could or should of.
For those who established good habits or made changes in our lives, Ramadhan has ended, but we are Muslim for another 11 months of the year, so we need to think about keeping up consistency in what we do. Without consistency or even an attempt to make the effort, what has the month really done for us? If you have adopted Hijab, keep it on InshaAllah; if you have started praying all the Fardh and Sunnah prayers, keep on praying InshaAllah; if you stopped smoking or doing Shisha during Ramadhan, then stay off it InshaAllah; if you stopped masturbating during Ramadhan, then avoid it after it too InshaAllah, and so on. If Ramadhan wasn't the perfect time to change and keep up with that change, then I do not know when else would be better.
For those of us who didn't do enough or perhaps didn't even fast in totality, then indeed you have missed a great opportunity as Ramadhan is the month of mercy and in which is a night better than a thousand months. That being said, do not despair - Allah is our Rabb and He is The Merciful, and His mercy is not limited to one month. To earn His mercy, you only need to ask for it and want it - it is not too late to change. You can start praying now, make up for any shortcomings, ask for forgiveness with sincerity, and He is The Forgiving, The Merciful. If you do not choose to change though, it begs the question: why are you celebrating Eid? Eid is a celebration for those who want to be close to Allah, not those who want to remain distant or are only 'Muslim by birth'. If you want to be close to Allah, celebrate Eid and then start making a change in your life InshaAllah.

My final reminder for anyone celebrating Eid: Ramadhan was a month of abstinence where we abstained from not just things we didn't need e.g. foul speech, but also and more noteably the things we did need - food and water. We established good habits InshaAllah and we want to continue them InshaAllah, but do not now spoil your Ramadhan with your Eid. What we see nowadays is people using Eid as a day to go out with mates and smoke Shisha, chat up or go out with boys and girls, blast music, dress immodestly and cake on makeup; all of this is unnecessary and it is not the point of Eid. If you can give up what was necessary for 29 or 30 days, then you can give up this unnecessary Bakwaas for one. Allah's commandments still apply on Eid and every other day of the year, and if you indeed love Allah and want to be loved by Him, and if He is the reason for you celebrating Eid, then obey Him and His messenger.

قُلۡ إِن كُنتُمۡ تُحِبُّونَ ٱللَّهَ فَٱتَّبِعُونِي يُحۡبِبۡكُمُ ٱللَّهُ وَيَغۡفِرۡ لَكُمۡ ذُنُوبَكُمۡۚ وَٱللَّهُ غَفُورٞ رَّحِيمٞ

Say: "If you should love Allah, then follow me, [so] Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." [3:31]

Now that is out of the way, my questions for everyone:

What are your plans for Eid?

What habit did you establish during Ramadhan and want to keep up?

What is something that you perhaps didn't do during Ramadhan but want to start doing now?

Eid Mubarak and may Allah accept it from you and me! :smile:

Ps. Do not forget to give your Zakatul Fitr if you are eligible to do so.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not celebrating.
Have went to mosque, went to the 8am one. Going out with friends tommorow
Reply 3
Original post by Obolinda
Have went to mosque, went to the 8am one. Going out with friends tommorow

Eid with friends must be fun :smile: What are you guys planning on doing?
Restaurant.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Eid with friends must be fun :smile: What are you guys planning on doing?
Reply 5
I'm planning to revise and eat a box of thorntons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending