The Student Room Group

Policy Advisor- EU exit interview (HEO)

Hi everyone,

I have an interview at DEFRA for a HEO Policy Advisor role. It is a competency based interview with a short presentation at the beginning.

Has anyone already had the interview and any tips on this e.g. whether we can use our notes and how long it takes to get back etc?

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry if this a late reply!

I’ve just been successfully recruited with the process taking about 4 months. It took about a month to hear a response after interview but that was over the Christmas period, so it may be sooner for yourself.
Reply 2
Hey @Melissamcf, I have an interview for a similar post this week. Any advice or guidance?
Congrats! No problem at all. I have not had my interview yet :smile: Were you able to use your notes and how did you find the interview and presentation? How long was it? Any tips? Thanks so much!
Original post by Melissamcf

I’ve just been successfully recruited with the process taking about 4 months. It took about a month to hear a response after interview but that was over the Christmas period, so it may be sooner for yourself.
Reply 4
I have been recruited as well - was this part of the Policy Adviser recruitment campaign? What stage are you at if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by ShamCC
I have been recruited as well - was this part of the Policy Adviser recruitment campaign? What stage are you at if you don't mind me asking?

I believe so it was a project delivery/policy advisor campaign. I have taken up post and currently in my induction period.

Original post by Bossa Nova
Congrats! No problem at all. I have not had my interview yet :smile: Were you able to use your notes and how did you find the interview and presentation? How long was it? Any tips? Thanks so much!

I didn’t use my notes I memorised my competencies. I believe you can use notes as I have done in the past. I would just make sure you know your competencies in and out with a few back up examples to reiterate the markers. I found it useful to look at the competency framework and made sure my answer was hitting the markers.

I cannot advise on the presentation as I didn’t have to do one.
Sorry thought I quoted you in my recent reply. I would again make sure you know your competencies, look at the civil service competency framework and have more than one example in case the interviewer asks for further examples within a competency.
Hi there. No worries at all and thank you for your help! Do you have any last tips? I just want to be able to do my best and have a good chance as it's my dream role! Do you know if there are 50 places each for the April and September intake? :smile: Thanks so much :smile:
Sorry thought I quoted you in my recent reply. I would again make sure you know your competencies, look at the civil service competency framework and have more than one example in case the interviewer asks for further examples within a competency.
Hi there. No worries at all and thank you for your help! Do you have any last tips? I just want to be able to do my best and have a good chance as it's my dream role! Do you know if there are 50 places each for the April and September intake? :smile: Thanks so much :smile:

I would say just try and make sure you’re answering the questions directly without the interviewer having to prompt you further.

I think there is about 50 policy roles but there does seem to be a recruitment drive at the moment so there could be more.
Thanks so much for your help. This is really useful to know. If you don't mind me asking, did you start the role immediately or have to wait till the April intake? If I was to be successful i'd like to start right away rather than in September so wondered if there is any flexibility with this. :smile:
I would say just try and make sure you’re answering the questions directly without the interviewer having to prompt you further.

I think there is about 50 policy roles but there does seem to be a recruitment drive at the moment so there could be more.
Essentially I was offered a job in January with security vetting taking about 3 months then I could hand my notice in. It is all really dependent on the vetting.
Thanks so much for your help. This is really useful to know. If you don't mind me asking, did you start the role immediately or have to wait till the April intake? If I was to be successful i'd like to start right away rather than in September so wondered if there is any flexibility with this. :smile:
Reply 11
Essentially I was offered a job in January with security vetting taking about 3 months then I could hand my notice in. It is all really dependent on the vetting.

Did you have to go through a match-making process to be allocated a role within a team?

I have completed all pre-employment checks and I am currently going through this “match-making” process to find a suitable role within a team. Just wondering if you had a similar experience!
Yes, during vetting I was sent an email explaining I had been matched to a vacancy. This was after my pre-employment checks had been completed but still had to wait for CTC.
Original post by ShamCC
Did you have to go through a match-making process to be allocated a role within a team?

I have completed all pre-employment checks and I am currently going through this “match-making” process to find a suitable role within a team. Just wondering if you had a similar experience!
Can anyone advise how long after they sat the SJ test they heard back?

I sat it on Saturday and with "weekly interviews" I'm not sure whether to be in for a long wait or hear very quickly. what has experience been?
That's great. Thanks for all your help! :smile:
Hi there. I heard back after a couple of days about the SJ test. In terms of interview dates there is a delay and i've been waiting for dates to be released since mid April. Are you also applying for this role?
Original post by Grad2019
Can anyone advise how long after they sat the SJ test they heard back?

I sat it on Saturday and with "weekly interviews" I'm not sure whether to be in for a long wait or hear very quickly. what has experience been?
Hi there. I heard back after a couple of days about the SJ test. In terms of interview dates there is a delay and i've been waiting for dates to be released since mid April. Are you also applying for this role?

Thanks for this.

Yes, just applied. Got my SJ test results instantly but waiting to see if they are high enough (says I've met the minimum)

Ok, waiting for an interview is annoying for you though.
No worries. Hopefully you dont have to wait too long for the results. All the best! It is but I'm assuming it's like that for most people who applied in April till now having to wait for interview slots. They are advertising for multiple roles in the department so I guess that's also contributing to the delay.
Original post by Grad2019
Thanks for this.

Yes, just applied. Got my SJ test results instantly but waiting to see if they are high enough (says I've met the minimum)

Ok, waiting for an interview is annoying for you though.
Hi all,How long did everyone wait from the point they passed the pre employment checks untill they started? I passed my pre employment checks over a month ago and still haven’t been contacted regarding which team I am in and when my start date will be.... frustrating! :smile:
Have you been sent an invite to complete CTC?
Original post by Mdavenport45
Hi all,How long did everyone wait from the point they passed the pre employment checks untill they started? I passed my pre employment checks over a month ago and still haven’t been contacted regarding which team I am in and when my start date will be.... frustrating! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending