The Student Room Group

Aqa english language

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raymond20lee
Thats a good valid point. However there was an exclamatory to emphasis he was controlling and demanding.

Thanks and yeah I completely agree... wish I’d added that in.
Reply 41
Spot on with your comment there. However adjectives and verbs if suitably contextualised will bring home the marks for you! Nice spot of rule of three( triple) at the beginning of the text- should gain good marks for all these points - well done!
Reply 42
Original post by georgiamaegriff

Excellent spot- missed that valid and pertinent language feature!
Reply 43
Ok but remember quality counts not just quantity!
Original post by Mzhax
I ran out of time most people in my school said it was good but i didnt write enough for q5 and q2 and 3 were too short one paragraph
You can tell that Hartop was Stricted. Anxious. Harsh. Mean. Nasty towards Alice.

We could have said he thought that something dangerous had dropped from the vehicle and not just a bunch of flowers.........
Theres so much to write about using dialogue. Simple sentence. And so on but it depends how you explain it in away.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by PROFNOT
Ok but remember quality counts not just quantity!
are u sure it was so short
Wait...isn't Hartop the fathers name? I've been writing that. And I did a descriptive piece. I think the exam was really easy.
Original post by PROFNOT
Excellent spot- missed that valid and pertinent language feature!

Thank you! Was unsure whether it made sense.
Original post by PROFNOT
Spot on with your comment there. However adjectives and verbs if suitably contextualised will bring home the marks for you! Nice spot of rule of three( triple) at the beginning of the text- should gain good marks for all these points - well done!

What was the rule of three?
Reply 49
Nice perceptive interpretation!
Original post by sqrt of 5
for q4 i said yes he was cruel but also another reason why he's cruel is that they are poor and they need alice to get money and stuff as they live in a van
For the statement one, I wrote. His colloquialism through ‘d’ye’ and ‘eh’ highlight a lack of manners, further emphasising a lack of outward values and I basically extended on how that protrudes him as an opposite to ‘stoic’ and a man who perhaps is lost in himself and splurging with self-hate and insecurity, thus projecting it onto others. I added how this of course leads to an empathetic reaction. I wrote a paragraph on how the incessant and perpetual commands thrown at her via the repetitive questions shows him as pedantic. I mentioned how humans will psychologically relate to this with empathy due to it being regarding a father and daughter relationship, working as a tactic by the writer. I wrote a paragraph on the imperative “move yourself!” but I can’t really remember all of my points. I integrated an opposing idea, saying that although some may debate that his love is out of protection and the cliche ‘hard love’ she ‘agreed’ with her ‘fathers’ commands, insinuating that perhaps she does not want to return to a point of disobeying him; that he is not lenient whatsoever, and Alice is completely aware of this through experience. Aiming for a 7, I don’t think I did brilliantly but hopefully my response should get along 15/16 out of 20 as it was conceptualised.
Reply 51
could you say that the write used listing to describe the man at the beginning?
Reply 52
Original post by PROFNOT

would it have been ok to say the writer used listing at the beginning to describe a member of his family
Reply 53
Wow! Highly perceptive answer- well done.
Original post by Georgiax71x
For the statement one, I wrote. His colloquialism through ‘d’ye’ and ‘eh’ highlight a lack of manners, further emphasising a lack of outward values and I basically extended on how that protrudes him as an opposite to ‘stoic’ and a man who perhaps is lost in himself and splurging with self-hate and insecurity, thus projecting it onto others. I added how this of course leads to an empathetic reaction. I wrote a paragraph on how the incessant and perpetual commands thrown at her via the repetitive questions shows him as pedantic. I mentioned how humans will psychologically relate to this with empathy due to it being regarding a father and daughter relationship, working as a tactic by the writer. I wrote a paragraph on the imperative “move yourself!” but I can’t really remember all of my points. I integrated an opposing idea, saying that although some may debate that his love is out of protection and the cliche ‘hard love’ she ‘agreed’ with her ‘fathers’ commands, insinuating that perhaps she does not want to return to a point of disobeying him; that he is not lenient whatsoever, and Alice is completely aware of this through experience. Aiming for a 7, I don’t think I did brilliantly but hopefully my response should get along 15/16 out of 20 as it was conceptualised.
How did everyone analyse the adjective ‘thin’?
I really like how you answered this question. I would say it's at the top grade.
Same name, oooo
I proper milked the adjective ‘thin’! I was saying that the family are outcasts to society, justifying my reason why, and so my alternative interpretation was that ‘thin’ is an implication of the family’s mental health collectively.

I used the original meaning of how they clearly struggle to make ends meeting and perhaps were experiencing a form of trauma and, thus were not receiving adequate food.

(Original post by georgiamaegriff)How did everyone analyse the adjective ‘thin’?
You can

The writer describes the man (Hartop) to be ....... the writer uses a rule of three or listing to convey ........ this gives us the impression that......
Original post by unisk
could you say that the write used listing to describe the man at the beginning?
Original post by Raymond20lee
I really like how you answered this question. I would say it's at the top grade.

thank you so much. I’m feeling a little more confident now, I definitely think q4 was my best question along with my description!!
Anyone else write about the repetition of the imperative ‘Go’ in question 4? Because it kind of shows how he’s controlling/demanding and the fact that he still said it after Alice got the flowers of the roof shows how his demands are continuous and he’s unappreciative of what Alice did..

yep i did
Original post by PROFNOT

is triplets the same thing?

kinda did the same thing. i also said that the writer blamed society
Original post by unisk
would it have been ok to say the writer used listing at the beginning to describe a member of his family

listing or rule of three is the same thing

did anyone talk about society in q4? i said the writer is criticising society because of the way women were treated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending