The Student Room Group

Unable to apply to sixth form because of my birthday

I've been told by Westminster School that I'm unable to apply because my birthday is 3 months outside of their age restriction gap. I've left my entire life back in Canada to move to the UK, follow their GCSE system and become comfortable so I would not be disadvantaged when applying to Westminster for Sixth form; however, this new news shows that this has been a waste.

What do I do... Westminster has been my entire life's ambition and goal and it may not even be possible to simply apply. I thought the most difficult part would be the exams, turns out it's the applcation ability.
Original post by mdelecq
I've been told by Westminster School that I'm unable to apply because my birthday is 3 months outside of their age restriction gap. I've left my entire life back in Canada to move to the UK, follow their GCSE system and become comfortable so I would not be disadvantaged when applying to Westminster for Sixth form; however, this new news shows that this has been a waste.

What do I do... Westminster has been my entire life's ambition and goal and it may not even be possible to simply apply. I thought the most difficult part would be the exams, turns out it's the applcation ability.

When is your birthday and what is the issue? Are you going to be 19 and a boarder or something?
My birthday is November 19 2004, ur traditionally suppose to be turning 19 before graduation which I will be. I'm not sure why there is an issue; however, the person I contacted about this said it was because of 'social development' 'tradition' and simply because they're 'incredibly strict' as well as the fact that there are a lot of applicants.
Original post by threeportdrift
When is your birthday and what is the issue? Are you going to be 19 and a boarder or something?
Original post by mdelecq
My birthday is November 19 2004, ur traditionally suppose to be turning 19 before graduation which I will be. I'm not sure why there is an issue; however, the person I contacted about this said it was because of 'social development' 'tradition' and simply because they're 'incredibly strict' as well as the fact that there are a lot of applicants.

How will your dates work out? Because if you turn 19 in November of your second year in sixth form, that will be the issue, particularly if you are boarding.

In the UK you are traditionally 18 before graduation, not 19. Many/most boarding schools and often day schools will not want a sixth former who is 19 for a substantial period of the sixth form.
No, you see I will not be 19 during sixth form. I was born in 2004, I graduate in 2022, I will be turning 18 in november the year of 2022
How will your dates work out? Because if you turn 19 in November of your second year in sixth form, that will be the issue, particularly if you are boarding.

In the UK you are traditionally 18 before graduation, not 19. Many/most boarding schools and often day schools will not want a sixth former who is 19 for a substantial period of the sixth form.
Ssorry my wording was weird ahah
Original post by mdelecq
No, you see I will not be 19 during sixth form. I was born in 2004, I graduate in 2022, I will be turning 18 in november the year of 2022

I'm very confused ???
You have to be born from September 2002-August 2003 to apply for Sixth Form this year since that is the year 11 age group.
You're in year 9, why are you applying to sixth form now?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ixxyh
I went to boarding school for sixth form and there were many students who turned 19 during year 13 (before graduation), from either being held back a year for health reasons or being an international exchange student. When I was 16, my roommate was about to turn 20, so this shouldn't be an issue?

A mainstream UK boarding school?
You have to turn 18 by August 2022 not November ???
Why are you applying to a Sixth Form in year 9?
Original post by mdelecq
Original post by mdelecq

So you are a year younger than standard? In that case, it's just a Westminster thing, other schools are not likely to worry as much.
Original post by mdelecq

You haven't confused date formats and told them your birthday is on e.g. 11/4/2004 (11th April) rather than e.g. 4/11/2004 (4th November)??

I don't know Westminster admission requirements but if you don't conform to them then you need to make plans to study elsewhere. You surely had other options knowing your place was not guaranteed and competition was fierce.
I currently attend a school in the UK that I'm guaranteed to stay at; however, I have been working tirelessly for years to gain acceptance into Westminster and the fact that my age is a determinator of my ability to gain admissions rather than my intelligence is heart-breaking.
Original post by gdunne42
You haven't confused date formats and told them your birthday is on e.g. 11/4/2004 (11th April) rather than e.g. 4/11/2004 (4th November)??

I don't know Westminster admission requirements but if you don't conform to them then you need to make plans to study elsewhere. You surely had other options knowing your place was not guaranteed and competition was fierce.
I come from Canada, wehn switching schools the year group that matched up with my education was year 10. I'm in year 10 right now applyign for sixth forms for 2020
Original post by xxlaila03xx
I'm very confused ???
You have to be born from September 2002-August 2003 to apply for Sixth Form this year since that is the year 11 age group.
You're in year 9, why are you applying to sixth form now?
Yes, I understand that; however, westminster is where I've been tirelessly working to get into for years. I've given up my entire life in canada to come to a foreign country where I know no-one to get into westmintser
So you are a year younger than standard? In that case, it's just a Westminster thing, other schools are not likely to worry as much.
Just tell them about this, I'm sure they'll understand
Original post by mdelecq
Yes, I understand that; however, westminster is where I've been tirelessly working to get into for years. I've given up my entire life in canada to come to a foreign country where I know no-one to get into westmintser
Original post by mdelecq

Well I'm afraid you should have researched their take on being a year younger beforehand, if you were investing so much into your plan. However, being a year younger isn't always an issue and there are many other schools as impressive as Westminster you can still aim for. You could consider Oundle, Wellington, Rugby etc depending on your skills and interests (and if male, Eton, Harrow etc). There's nowhere than only Westminster can get you to.
Hi,

By UK standards, you're too young (obvs) ~ I'm applying and I'm pretty much exactly a year older.

However, Westminster does say its a school for "under 19s", so you're clear in the fact that you're too young and not too old. And exceptions may be made by the Head Master, and for your case, I think you stand a good chance of arguing and getting the chance to apply. ~ considering you're the same academic standard and foreign.

What exactly did they say to you? (assuming you sent them an email)
Reply 17
Original post by mdelecq

Bruh you're 14, you should be in year 10. Im 18 and im in year 13. I finish 6th form in 15 days.
Original post by mdelecq

In the UK typically the cut off point is the 31st of August otherwise you get put in the year below. People generally start sixth form/ college after turning 16 you would still be 15 and when you finish doing your a levels you would be 17 not the typical 18. Most schools if not all would have similar feelings towards your age

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending