The Student Room Group

OCR A level Latin

Just looking for any fellow A-level latin scholars out there, so that once exams start we can discuss the papers, grade boundaries, predictions... etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am! What literature are you doing?
Reply 2
Cicero Pro Milone
Tacitus Annals 1 + English
Virgil Aeneid 8
Ovid Amores 2.7 & 2.8 engl. 2.19
Propertius 1.3 & 2.14 engl. 4.7
Tibullus 1.3 engl. 2.4
You?

Original post by emlouu
I am! What literature are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by Denver4700
Cicero Pro Milone
Tacitus Annals 1 + English
Virgil Aeneid 8
Ovid Amores 2.7 & 2.8 engl. 2.19
Propertius 1.3 & 2.14 engl. 4.7
Tibullus 1.3 engl. 2.4
You?

The same for poetry (Aeneid 8 and Ovid, Propertius and Tibullus love poetry), and for prose I'm doing Cicero Pro Milone for both years
Reply 4
Nice, I really enjoying doing literature (especially Cicero). I'm not a huge fan of the language though, and that's happening on the 4th! I just never feel like I can be completely prepared for it, you know?
Original post by emlouu
The same for poetry (Aeneid 8 and Ovid, Propertius and Tibullus love poetry), and for prose I'm doing Cicero Pro Milone for both years
Reply 5
Nice, I really enjoying doing literature (especially Cicero). I'm not a huge fan of the language though, and that's happening on the 4th! I just never feel like I can be completely prepared for it, you know?

Yeah, I feel like I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to properly prepare but I'm just doing all the vocab I can and going over grammar and doing practice translations so hopefully that's enough, I feel like you can never know what its going to be like so just hoping its an ok paper!
I am here too!

Y1 - Pro Milone + Ovid Am. 1.1 and 2.5, Tibullus 1.1, Propertius 1.1
Y2 - Tac Annals 1 + Virgil Aeneid X

For language I am just learning vocab at the moment.
salvete socii! :smile:
Doing:
Y1: Pro Milone, Ovid 1.1/2.5, Tib 1.1, Prop 1.1
Y2: Seneca 51/53/57, Aeneid Book X
I can see the (external) appeal of my Year 13 lit options but the Seneca is throwing me off massively, I haven't been sure how to prepare for a 20-marker as it's hard to identify the definite overarching themes, so have had to contend with some vague essay plans. The amount of detail needed to get high marks in Aeneid 20-markers also scares me, I've prepared for quite a lot of possible questions at this point but still feel very insecure about it
I'm so worried about the exam on the 4th but excited at the same time actually, have been doing an insane amount of verse translation as that was throwing me off before and now I feel better about it. I've got a habit of getting too excited about my translations and messing up little bits of grammar in the process so have devised a mnemonic so that won't happen (fingers crossed)
Reply 8
Ya same I've just been going over and over my vocab, and I've been doing as many translations as possible. But they're just so tedious for me as soon as I find a difficult sentence I just give up. Which vocab are you learning? I'm learning the ones at the back of the Matthew Owen books and the As vocab list.
Original post by MontyZuma
I am here too!

Y1 - Pro Milone + Ovid Am. 1.1 and 2.5, Tibullus 1.1, Propertius 1.1
Y2 - Tac Annals 1 + Virgil Aeneid X

For language I am just learning vocab at the moment.
Reply 9
Salve :smile: I've been doing loads of translations as well, and I've realised I always make it seem harder for myself, when I'm actually fine. I personally prefer Literature. My teacher always get angry at me for messing up grammar, what mnemonic have you made?(if you don't mind me asking)
Original post by lovecore
salvete socii! :smile:
Doing:
Y1: Pro Milone, Ovid 1.1/2.5, Tib 1.1, Prop 1.1
Y2: Seneca 51/53/57, Aeneid Book X
I can see the (external) appeal of my Year 13 lit options but the Seneca is throwing me off massively, I haven't been sure how to prepare for a 20-marker as it's hard to identify the definite overarching themes, so have had to contend with some vague essay plans. The amount of detail needed to get high marks in Aeneid 20-markers also scares me, I've prepared for quite a lot of possible questions at this point but still feel very insecure about it
I'm so worried about the exam on the 4th but excited at the same time actually, have been doing an insane amount of verse translation as that was throwing me off before and now I feel better about it. I've got a habit of getting too excited about my translations and messing up little bits of grammar in the process so have devised a mnemonic so that won't happen (fingers crossed)
How did you guys find the paper today?
Pretty difficult compared to last year
Reply 12
Original post by dragonbcl
Pretty difficult compared to last year

Yeah same I thought it was pretty hard, especially the poetry :frown:
I thought it was WAY harder than last years 😂
Original post by emlouu
Yeah same I thought it was pretty hard, especially the poetry :frown:
Original post by Classics112
I thought it was WAY harder than last years 😂

I think even that would be an understatement.

The Livy made sense somewhat apart from a few challenging sentences near the end, but the Ovid was absolutely horrendous. Made no sense for the most part.

What does everyone reckon they got/the boundaries will be? Genuinely feel I got around 50 on that paper.
Reply 15
I had to do it this morning since it clashed with my chemistry exam... and man the poetry was rough. Livy wasn't too bad; I also didn't feel that secure on my scansion.
I had to do it this morning since it clashed with my chemistry exam... and man the poetry was rough. Livy wasn't too bad; I also didn't feel that secure on my scansion.

Rough would be a huge understatement, it was horrendous 😂 The scansion I only had 5 minutes for so kind of rushed, as long as I have 3 marks or so I’ll be happy.

What do we all reckon the boundaries will be? Was 72/100 for an A last year and 62/100 for a B and thought last years was genuinely about 50x easier.

I’d say 65/100 for an A and 54/100 or something for a B or am I being overly optimistic?
Oh awesome! My teachers are saying The Aeneid won't be anything too obscure (I'm revising fate/heroism quite a lot but that's just my two cents) and Seneca will be something to do with philosophical messages
Original post by jo3145
@lovecore im doing all the same texts as u, what are ur predictions for the 20 markers??
I scanned. The scansion. As Elegiacs
For a hexameter poem
WHY did I do that???? I'm so mad at myself
At least one line will be at least partially correct - 3/4 marks down the drain though :frown: Luckily the grade boundaries will be super low for this exam tbh. I wish it had never occurred to me that I'd done this because I'll now hate myself forever if it brings down my grade
(edited 4 years ago)
Ask Boris Johnson. At least he could do something useful for once. You could learn in Latin how to tell him not to stand for the Tory leadership.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending