The Student Room Group

Aqa english language

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone write about sentence forms ? I talked about how a particular long , overwhelming sentence ( which was over 3 or 4 lines long ) is difficult for readers to fully comprehend at first glance . The complexity of the sentence symbolises the agonising and overwhelming experience within the car. I also talked about the iron simile. I also talked about the car 'sprawling' indicating a lack of a perceived sense of control .
Yeah, it doesn’t matter what you wrote.
‘Abandoned’ is completely ambiguous for a reason, they want people to be perceptive and contort the question in a way that suits them.
I bet money that the exam boards get completely bizarre story ideas, but when written well, the person still gets a good grade. Your idea seems out of the box and original. That will be refreshing to whoever marks your paper and it should be viewed as perceptive to send you higher up in the mark scheme :smile: . As long as you written it well that is.
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
For the abandoned story...i wrote about a woman who was suffering from psychological disorders....which caused the desolation ..etc........something like that....is that fine?
Original post by Georgiax71x
Yeah, it doesn’t matter what you wrote.
‘Abandoned’ is completely ambiguous for a reason, they want people to be perceptive and contort the question in a way that suits them.
I bet money that the exam boards get completely bizarre story ideas, but when written well, the person still gets a good grade. Your idea seems out of the box and original. That will be refreshing to whoever marks your paper and it should be viewed as perceptive to send you higher up in the mark scheme :smile: . As long as you written it well that is.

Thanks! I hope you've smashed it! Just hoping for a 7/8 tbh....but can't wait for GCSE'S to be over....the wait is killing me:colonhash:
Original post by Raymond20lee
How did you find your GCSE ENGLISH EXAM.

What did you think about the source.

WHAT DID YOU DO FOR QUESTION 5 DESCRIPTION OR STORY ON ABANDONED.

It was a shambles, I spent an hour and 10 minutes on writing my story and ended up with Q1, Q5 completed, Q2 somewhat completed, Q4 I had all my ideas but I panicked and ended up putting my weakest one down, f*ck me question 3 was just out of the question at that point. But it's just the way sh*t is. I guess. Personally I think I achieved max 20 marks on that paper which is shambolic.
Original post by AspiringAccount
It was a shambles, I spent an hour and 10 minutes on writing my story and ended up with Q1, Q5 completed, Q2 somewhat completed, Q4 I had all my ideas but I panicked and ended up putting my weakest one down, f*ck me question 3 was just out of the question at that point. But it's just the way sh*t is. I guess. Personally I think I achieved max 20 marks on that paper which is shambolic.

You have most likely done better than you think...please don't stress bout it(easier said than done)...but as long as you tried your hardest that's all that matters. Good luck for the rest of your exams...focus on them now and I'm sure you'll do great:smile:
You have most likely done better than you think...please don't stress bout it(easier said than done)...but as long as you tried your hardest that's all that matters. Good luck for the rest of your exams...focus on them now and I'm sure you'll do great:smile:

Thanks. See that's the thing I'm trying to get full marks on my paper 2 but I ain't got a damn clue about how to get to that stage in time?
no u definitely can mix the two together, as long as it fits with the theme of abandonment too it would be fine
Original post by sqrt of 5
um i think it depends. if you're narrative is based on the picture i think it's wrong cuz you can't mix both of them together
Original post by AspiringAccount
Thanks. See that's the thing I'm trying to get full marks on my paper 2 but I ain't got a damn clue about how to get to that stage in time?

Practice writing a speech, an article, a letter...etc. to get the structure correct.
The rest of the paper...Mr brufff....he's too good...will get you the grade you want
I was very happy with the exam, i chose the abandoned one for question 5 as i already had a story planned out
Original post by ririroo
no u definitely can mix the two together, as long as it fits with the theme of abandonment too it would be fine

IF it fits with the theme. however, if you used the image for inspiration and the examiner cannot really understand what youre doing youll get the minimum marks. thats what my english teacher (which is an examiner) said
yeah of course, if u just do a narrative on the market stall without including anything about abandonment your grade would suffer.
IF it fits with the theme. however, if you used the image for inspiration and the examiner cannot really understand what youre doing youll get the minimum marks. thats what my english teacher (which is an examiner) said
Original post by ririroo
yeah of course, if u just do a narrative on the market stall without including anything about abandonment your grade would suffer.

yea thats why mixed the picture and the narrative together is a bad idea
The exam was horrific.
in general yes, but it can also be done well
yea thats why mixed the picture and the narrative together is a bad idea
Reply 94
Original post by unisk
would it have been ok to say the writer used listing at the beginning to describe a member of his family

I think that would be acceptable! Well done.
Reply 95
Original post by unisk
would it have been ok to say the writer used listing at the beginning to describe a member of his family

For the abandoned story...i wrote about a woman who was suffering from psychological disorders....which caused the desolation ..etc........something like that....is that fine?
Reply 96
Yes of course! Sounds a perfectly acceptable way to craft a narrative.
Original post by PROFNOT
wait wait, will i lose marks for the Q5 for making it the abandonment narrative based on the market picture, where i describe a market and a lost child in it as a narrative? could the idea of "lost" qualify enough to be abandonment??
Reply 98
Ok-are you able to share your reasons for describing the exam this way? Perhaps the many students who sat this exam may be able to reassure you that you that you will have performed well?
Original post by harsimran07
The exam was horrific.
Reply 99
Steady, if you craft a narrative based on a lost child in a market you should be fine imho!
Original post by lilTrain
wait wait, will i lose marks for the Q5 for making it the abandonment narrative based on the market picture, where i describe a market and a lost child in it as a narrative? could the idea of "lost" qualify enough to be abandonment??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending