The Student Room Group

Iranian girl gets highest possible Mensa IQ score

An 11-year-old Iranian school girl has just become the new face of braininess after receiving the highest possible score on the Mensa IQ test.

"Tara Sharifi, a student in UK's Aylesbury High School, recently took the test in Oxford, where she scored an impressive 162 points. The result puts Sharifi well above the “genius benchmark” of 140.

It also places her just ahead of Albert Einstein's projected IQ of 160 (although Einstein never sat for the test and this estimation has been questioned).

Her father Hossein Sharifi told reporters that he is "extremely proud" of his daughter -- though he had an inkling of her intellectual prowess. “I figured she might do well when we watched TV and she would get maths questions before the contestants. I knew she was very clever but I did not think she would have such a high IQ.”

The 11-year-old has expressed an interest in pursuing further studies in maths -- a sign, perhaps, that she will follow late the late [Iranian] Fields Medal-winning mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani's footsteps?"

Source

Scroll to see replies

Ummmm good for her I guess
IQ *potentially possibly maybe - huge disclaimer below* is utter BS
There is so much more to life and a person than some number from some test. It's so bad at measuring what it claims to, that it can vary by as much as +-20 in a person's life. Totally just boasting rights for people who have nothing else going for them, and I suspect this girl will regret having ever agreed/ that her parents agreed to release her information to the reporters.

Right this is a final edit because some people still don't see the irony: the people who are calling OP out on this BS are the most qualified to do so without being called out for having an ulterior motive, i.e. either those who have once tested with high IQ or were once in Mensa. Indeed I took the test for a bit of lols because my friends bought it for me as a joke present. I can pull up a chart to show as a few others have said, that there is a huge gap between an IQ of 160 and winning a fields medal. Huge. No fields medalist winner ever said 'oh yeah lol you know I was just born with it naturally smart'. They worked their socks off. They were in the library reading while most people went out drinking and partying. They dedicated their LIVES to their work. They thought about maths in their sleep. They poured life and passion into their work. No mere number is a substitute for this sort of love.

Anyone who wants to accuse me of envy, go ahead. Completely miss the point of my argument. I support real achievements and am friends with some awesome people who have done some amazing things and I love them to bits for being so dedicated. They work until 4am. They list textbooks off their head like phone numbers because they literally own a library. They speak 3 languages fluently, pull 16 hour work weekends, sleep 4 hours to get things done, are curious and open about the world, and are just fantastic people that I am so privileged to know. Whether it's chemistry, physics or biology, I know a LOT of talented people (from the Cambridge offer holder chat) and none of them have got where they are without a true passion for what they do and work, work, work. It's pernicious to celebrate things like IQ because it actually shoves under the rug very important facts:
1) that intelligence is multifaceted, very difficult to measure, and subjectively defined.
2) that it is not intelligence that determines success, but hard work, dedication, and passion
3) that none of these people who actually have 'high IQ' see it as a big deal, and that success is sown when someone realises that they truly love what they do for itself, not for the end goal.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk lol. I didn't want to write an essay, but I hate being misunderstood more than ANYTHING. I don't have anything against the girl herself. She's probably a brilliant person to be around too. I have something very much against this culture which promotes the idea that IQ is important, worth mentioning, or even legit. This culture does more harm than good, because it makes people believe that they can't achieve certain things because they're 'just not smart enough'. I believe in everyone, and I think the first step to a world in which more people are confident in themselves is to move away from defining and measuring intelligence.
(edited 4 years ago)
Maryam Mirzakhani was a female Iranian mathematician, identified as a talent in her early years. At the age of 18, Maryam achieved a perfect score and won two Gold medals at the International Mathematical Olympiad.

Maryam studied mathematics at Sharif University of Technology in Iran, then studied a PhD at Harvard. Maryam subsequently became a professor at Stanford University.

In 2014 Maryam made history by becoming the first woman ever to win the Fields Medal in Mathematics (the 'Nobel Prize' for Maths).

Unfortunately, in 2013 Maryam was diagnosed with breast cancer and passed away at the age of 40 in 2017.

mm.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
IQ is utter BS lol
There is so much more to life and a person than some number from some test. It's so bad at measuring what it claims to, that it can vary by as much as +-20 in a person's life. Totally just boasting rights for people who have nothing else going for them, and I suspect this girl will regret having ever agreed/ that her parents agreed to release her information to the reporters.

nobody said IQ is everything and no its not utter ********. if you don't have anything valuable to say don't say it at all. shes an 11 year old girl who is intelligent and she has sound hobbies. who said iq defines a person? get lost lol.
great
Cool.
yeah she goes to my school and all the teachers are so gassed to have her as part of our school
Original post by Palmyra
An 11-year-old Iranian school girl has just become the new face of braininess after receiving the highest possible score on the Mensa IQ test.

"Tara Sharifi, a student in UK's Aylesbury High School, recently took the test in Oxford, where she scored an impressive 162 points. The result puts Sharifi well above the “genius benchmark” of 140.

It also places her just ahead of Albert Einstein's projected IQ of 160 (although Einstein never sat for the test and this estimation has been questioned).

Her father Hossein Sharifi told reporters that he is "extremely proud" of his daughter -- though he had an inkling of her intellectual prowess. “I figured she might do well when we watched TV and she would get maths questions before the contestants. I knew she was very clever but I did not think she would have such a high IQ.”

The 11-year-old has expressed an interest in pursuing further studies in maths -- a sign, perhaps, that she will follow late the late [Iranian] Fields Medal-winning mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani's footsteps?"

Source
What I have to say is valuable and listen up:
I was in Mensa for a year when I was 14. Then I quit because I grew up and realised something: if you really want to be loved, to be successful, to be a worthy person, IQ is NOT something that should define the ability to do just that. So what if Einstein had an 'IQ' of '160'? Wolfgang Pauli (especially as a child) and undebatably, Von Neumann, was smarter. But Einstein thought about things that nobody else could; he thought about physics laterally and that was his strength. (Let's not go into how he was famous because the media loved him. His name swept the world because of his personality)

Please, it's cute to recognise that she does have talent. But I personally know a lot of successful people (including quite a few England team science Olympiad people) who did not take an IQ test and couldn't care less for it.

Obviously I can't force you think like I do, but I would recommend you judge people on their character, how they lift others up, how hard they work, and other principles and qualities, far far above an IQ score.
Original post by angel.xo
nobody said IQ is everything and no its not utter ********. if you don't have anything valuable to say don't say it at all. shes an 11 year old girl who is intelligent and she has sound hobbies. who said iq defines a person? get lost lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
That's pretty cool. I hope she goes on to do great things.
Original post by Krishna1601
yeah she goes to my school and all the teachers are so gassed to have her as part of our school

Wow, that's awesome!
Reply 11
Imagine believing in IQ tests 😂😂😂
Legit
Just Google the amount of people who have 'high IQ' and did nothing with it
Original post by Vadizv
Imagine believing in IQ tests 😂😂😂
Someone sounds jelly.
IQ is utter BS lol
I was in Mensa for a year when I was 14. Then I quit because I grew up and realised something: if you really want to be loved, to be successful, to be a worthy person, IQ is NOT something that should define the ability to do just that. So what if Einstein had an 'IQ' of '160'? Wolfgang Pauli was smarter. But Einstein thought about things that nobody else could; he thought about physics laterally and that was his strength.

Please, it's cute to recognise that she does have talent. But I personally know a lot of successful people (including quite a few England team science Olympiad people) who did not take an IQ test and couldn't care less for it.

Obviously I can't force you think like I do, but I would recommend you judge people on their character, how they lift others up, how hard they work, and other principles and qualities, far far above an IQ score.

You came onto this thread and the first thing you did was patronise a 11 year old girl. do you not understand how ridiculous you sound? you have clearly misunderstood because nobody assumed IQ defines a person but clearly you do :rofl:
If you have nothing positive to say then don't bother spreading your negative garbage trying to bring down an 11 year old child on here, thanks. :smile:
x
In total agreement! I was in Mensa a for a year at the same age - I got 161 - and I don't think it makes much of a difference in life at all. I'm certainly not some super-genius or whatever - I did it for a bit of a lark!

IQ is almost irrelevant in day-to-day life. Good on her, but don't let it define you, or those around you!
I was in Mensa for a year when I was 14. Then I quit because I grew up and realised something: if you really want to be loved, to be successful, to be a worthy person, IQ is NOT something that should define the ability to do just that. So what if Einstein had an 'IQ' of '160'? Wolfgang Pauli was smarter. But Einstein thought about things that nobody else could; he thought about physics laterally and that was his strength.

The fact that you make a thread about IQ pretending like it's even a real thing (I don't believe in it) is in itself alarming. I find it actually laughable that you take it seriously. I am not patronising her, but speaking my mind for something that has long annoyed me.
I have no reason to be envious of her. I have achieved what I wanted in life and plan to do more :smile: I don't even acknowledge IQ scores as legit.
Original post by angel.xo
You came onto this thread and the first thing you did was patronise a 11 year old girl. do you not understand how ridiculous you sound? you have clearly misunderstood because nobody assumed IQ defines a person but clearly you do :rofl:
Original post by copernicuus
Good on her, but don't let it define you, or those around you!

No one has suggested that your IQ score defines you and this is not a thread about the usefulness of IQ tests, just to highlight the incredible achievement of this young child. :smile:
The fact that you make a thread about IQ pretending like it's even a real thing (I don't believe in it) is in itself alarming. I find it actually laughable that you take it seriously. I am not patronising her, but speaking my mind for something that has long annoyed me.
I have no reason to be envious of her. I have achieved what I wanted in life and plan to do more :smile: I don't even acknowledge IQ scores as legit.

:rofl: I didn't even make the thread you jealous young boy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending