The Student Room Group

Iranian girl gets highest possible Mensa IQ score

Scroll to see replies

I am not trying to bring her down! I'm bringing you a truth platter
Plenty of people are smart. I am not shocked that people with an IQ of 160+ exist. It's statistical probability (literally. Gaussian distribution go figure.)
Don't place any importance on it! I care far more about someone's hard work than what they were born with.
Here's an analogy: praising someone for high IQ is like praising a rich person for being born rich, or a beautiful person for being beautiful. How shallow do you sound?
Original post by Palmyra
If you have nothing positive to say then don't bother spreading your negative garbage trying to bring down an 11 year old child on here, thanks. :smile:
This thread is to highlight the innocent achievement of a young child, not for you to project your insecurities. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
I am not trying to bring her down! I'm bringing you a truth platter
Oxford dictionary definition of achievement:
'something done successfully with EFFORT, SKILL or COURAGE.'
If she's born with it, where is the effort, skill or courage? She is no doubt going to be amazing, and I hope she goes on to use it to do great things. But on its own?
Questionably useful.
Original post by Palmyra
This thread is to highlight the innocent achievement of a young child, not for you to project your insecurities. Thanks. :smile:
iq is what causes people to get depressed, my father, and my grandfather both had an iq of 157 and it makes me upset.
What I have to say is valuable and listen up:
I was in Mensa for a year when I was 14. Then I quit because I grew up and realised something: if you really want to be loved, to be successful, to be a worthy person, IQ is NOT something that should define the ability to do just that. So what if Einstein had an 'IQ' of '160'? Wolfgang Pauli was smarter. But Einstein thought about things that nobody else could; he thought about physics laterally and that was his strength.

Please, it's cute to recognise that she does have talent. But I personally know a lot of successful people (including quite a few England team science Olympiad people) who did not take an IQ test and couldn't care less for it.

Obviously I can't force you think like I do, but I would recommend you judge people on their character, how they lift others up, how hard they work, and other principles and qualities, far far above an IQ score.
Lol that Olympiad was fun! This isn't about my supposed 'insecurities'. I worked hard for it and I did the best I could at the time. I don't think achievement is defined by a number you're born with. I don't identify with national identity.
(And btw, Maryam Mirzakhani was AWESOME! Really strong and hard working woman. I have a poster with her on my wall.)
I don't mean to offend you, but it might be good to at least take what I said with some seriousness.
Peace out.
Original post by Palmyra
Did this Iranian girl take the record from a Chinese girl like you? Is this why you are so upset and determined to denigrate her achievements?

Perhaps if you spent less time bringing down 11 year olds you would have reached the top 100 of the Physics Olympiad. I am sure this SKILLED girl will show you how it's done in due course. :smile:
The real questionable thing about this is that people believe an 11 year old knows what they want to do in further studies lol
I don't mean to offend you, but it might be good to at least take what I said with some seriousness.
Peace out.

The only thing you know that I don't is how not to get into the next stage of Olympiads.

Bye :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
You know is considered very bad taste to defer to ad hominem :smile: I feel no need to say any more, because I don't do things just for the sake of achievements; if that were the case, I would not be taking this stance.
Original post by Palmyra
The only thing you know that I don't is how not to get into the next stage of Olympiads.

Bye :smile:
You know is considered very bad taste to defer to ad hominem :smile: I feel no need to say any more, because I don't do things just for the sake of achievements; if that were the case, I would not be taking this stance.

I'll defer to your knowledge on bad taste. Bye again :smile:
Good on her, although I bet in Iran, she would have faced the death penalty for it. :ashamed2:
Original post by Unexpectedly
Good on her, although I bet in Iran, she would have faced the death penalty for it. :ashamed2:

Iran was once so beautiful.
Original post by angel.xo
Iran was once so beautiful.

Fortunately, it still has some very beautiful people.
Original post by Unexpectedly

Quite a ridiculous comment, please see post 4!

Iranian female students, such as Maryam Mirzakhani, often excel at international olympiads etc. Very young talents are identified at an early stage and invested in very heavily. :smile:
IQ scores are BS.
Yay she likes maths. Maybe I'll live to see the day where another Millennium Prize Problem gets solved. :smile:
Original post by I hate maths
Yay she likes maths. Maybe I'll live to see the day where another Millennium Prize Problem gets solved. :smile:

I hope so too!
And me! Honestly I came back to apologise because I may have come off as a git. I genuinely want others and her to do well. But doing well isn't an IQ test. If she could solve a millennial problem or go into maths research or science that would be super cool! I think above all though, I genuinely hope she follows her dreams and is happy.
Original post by Palmyra
I hope so too!
Ummmm good for her I guess
IQ is utter BS lol
There is so much more to life and a person than some number from some test. It's so bad at measuring what it claims to, that it can vary by as much as +-20 in a person's life. Totally just boasting rights for people who have nothing else going for them, and I suspect this girl will regret having ever agreed/ that her parents agreed to release her information to the reporters.

Original post by Vadizv
Imagine believing in IQ tests 😂😂😂

Original post by copernicuus
In total agreement! I was in Mensa a for a year at the same age - I got 161 - and I don't think it makes much of a difference in life at all. I'm certainly not some super-genius or whatever - I did it for a bit of a lark!

IQ is almost irrelevant in day-to-day life. Good on her, but don't let it define you, or those around you!

stay mad whitebois
Reply 38
Damn good show on her part!
Well done to her! Regardless of what the result indicates, IQ tests, especially the ones taken by Mensa, are quite difficult, as they aim to measure what is known as fluid intelligence, or a measure of pure brain power. If she has, at this age, expressed an interest in Mathematics, she will put her potential in good use and be successful in her studies.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest