The Student Room Group

What is the training course like at Catterick?

What is the training course like at catterick? Because I’m joining the army in September and I was wondering how difficult the training will be

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you mean the Combat Infantrymans Course?
Original post by Y333EEE
Do you mean the Combat Infantrypersons Course?

Fixed that for you.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
Fixed that for you.

👍

Well if its anything like I went through at Winchester then be prepared to get very fit very quickly, to have your personal admin critiqued very finely and to have a lot of emphasis on getting to grips with living out in the field (assuming you are doing the CIC) 🤙
Uh yeah the training course, barracks at catterick
Original post by Y333EEE
Do you mean the Combat Infantrymans Course?
Reply 5
Original post by Emma603xxxx
Uh yeah the training course, barracks at Catterick

My last post is what I know of it. But it will have a lot more emphasis on soldiering and field craft than what I went through at Winchester
Reply 6
CIC isn't a hard course, 11 years ago when I did it, it was male only and still quite a harsh environment as all instructors were freshly off tour so they were quite harsh but it was based off recent operational experience so based on experience under fire, it's changed a bit since then.

It's progressive as well, just do what you're told, do your best and it should be fine. I've just left the Army for the second time and I was based up north so I was recently in that barracks to visit an office that's on there, hasn't changed much!

Personally, as an ex-squaddie who's been Infantry and Armoured Reconnaissance, I'd really suggest going for a trade, there's no war on combat arm is the last place the Army spends money during peacetime. Just my two cents take it or leave it.
Reply 7
Original post by Anon35
CIC isn't a hard course, 11 years ago when I did it, it was male only and still quite a harsh environment as all instructors were freshly off tour so they were quite harsh but it was based off recent operational experience so based on experience under fire, it's changed a bit since then.

It's progressive as well, just do what you're told, do your best and it should be fine. I've just left the Army for the second time and I was based up north so I was recently in that barracks to visit an office that's on there, hasn't changed much!

Personally, as an ex-squaddie who's been Infantry and Armoured Reconnaissance, I'd really suggest going for a trade, there's no war on combat arm is the last place the Army spends money during peacetime. Just my two cents take it or leave it.

Quick question pal, when you signed off does your last 12 months begin the day you put the clicks in or when the interviews finish? Also any tips on getting through the interviews and how to retain your sanity in the last 12 months? Only asking as I'm considering it in the not too distant future

OP, also I echo this posters views about going for a trade as opposed to combat arms. I know they advertise apprenticeships in the infantry etc but in all honesty it appears to count diddly squat in civvy street.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Y333EEE
Quick question pal, when you signed off does your last 12 months begin the day you put the clicks in or when the interviews finish? Also any tips on getting through the interviews and how to retain your sanity in the last 12 months? Only asking as I'm considering it in the not too distant future

OP, also I echo this posters views about going for a trade as opposed to combat arms. I know they advertise apprenticeships in the infantry etc but in all honesty it appears to count diddly squat in civvy street.

Day you do it on the system, the chain was definitely not fussed about hurrying up the interviews when Army wide they're struggling to keep people in, so be prepared to be told not to do it, over and over and over!

If you go for another gov role like I had a job offer for armed police, that fell through after 9 months of passing it all and having that offer in writing before I left, so have a backup even if that means taking more than one job offer, anything can happen, as it did to me.

As for sanity, haven't you lost that already? :wink: If not, go sit in a shell scrape under a poncho in the middle of a random field for a couple days getting piss wrapped then repeat the question...
Original post by Y333EEE

Now, I’ve been out for a while, but what would an apprenticeship in the infantry actually involve? Irresponsible amounts of drinking, fighting each other and complaining “this is shit” every time you’re expected to do your job?
Original post by Anon35
Day you do it on the system, the chain was definitely not fussed about hurrying up the interviews when Army wide they're struggling to keep people in, so be prepared to be told not to do it, over and over and over!

If you go for another gov role like I had a job offer for armed police, that fell through after 9 months of passing it all and having that offer in writing before I left, so have a backup even if that means taking more than one job offer, anything can happen, as it did to me.

As for sanity, haven't you lost that already? :wink: If not, go sit in a shell scrape under a poncho in the middle of a random field for a couple days getting piss wrapped then repeat the question...

In hindsight I lost it the day I signed on the dotted line pal 😂

In RE so I'm hopefully all good for trade. Hopefully find something related to that but I'm also looking at privately funding my CPC and Tanker ADR so I have something half decent to fall back on when I do bail. In the meantime I suppose its save as much money as possible.

Brilliant, only asked as i've heard rumours that it can be rejected if they don't agree with your plan or something, but that and mates who've done it are saying thats a load of BS. Plus apparently the CoC can supposedly get a right sad on about it if you do the clicks before you have the interviews
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
Now, I’ve been out for a while, but what would an apprenticeship in the infantry actually involve? Irresponsible amounts of drinking, fighting each other and complaining “this is shit” every time you’re expected to do your job?

Apparently its in 'Security Services' or something along those lines. What it probably means is you could get a job at local Asda stopping the spice heads running off with frozen chickens. Apparently you get some decent management ones from promotion courses? Not done any so can't comment on that. Only mentioned it as they made a bit of a song and dance about it on the School Of Infantry FB page a few months back.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Y333EEE
In hindsight I lost it the day I signed on the dotted line pal 😂

In RE so I'm hopefully all good for trade. Hopefully find something related to that but I'm also looking at privately funding my CPC and Tanker ADR so I have something half decent to fall back on when I do bail. In the meantime I suppose its save as much money as possible.

Brilliant, only asked as i've heard rumours that it can be rejected if they don't agree with your plan or something, but that and mates who've done it are saying thats a load of BS. Plus apparently the CoC can supposedly get a right sad on about it if you do the clicks before you have the interviews

So cliche, leave army become a truck driver haha to be fair one of our SSM's left to do refrigerated ones and working half a week he can equal his wage as an SSM, ridiculous that!

They can't stop you clicking, they can't really reject it unless it's for war etc for army manning if you're pinch point etc and even then it's just likely to delay it until they can replace you....

As for sad on, yes they do, and what? hahaha, they delay interviews i know blokes adding 3-4months onto their 12month leaving by interviewing first, my chain went off to all sorts of places so i couldn't do interviews for ages but i was wise to it so it was still counting from my clicks.

They brought apprenticeships in for us as well in mechanical engineering, literally not a single employer has been bothered by it, the only one it was relevant for was jaguar as a technician and even then their ex forces programme will hook you in regardless of having it so again, pointless.
Original post by Anon35
So cliche, leave army become a truck driver haha to be fair one of our SSM's left to do refrigerated ones and working half a week he can equal his wage as an SSM, ridiculous that!

They can't stop you clicking, they can't really reject it unless it's for war etc for army manning if you're pinch point etc and even then it's just likely to delay it until they can replace you....

As for sad on, yes they do, and what? hahaha, they delay interviews i know blokes adding 3-4months onto their 12month leaving by interviewing first, my chain went off to all sorts of places so i couldn't do interviews for ages but i was wise to it so it was still counting from my clicks.

They brought apprenticeships in for us as well in mechanical engineering, literally not a single employer has been bothered by it, the only one it was relevant for was jaguar as a technician and even then their ex forces programme will hook you in regardless of having it so again, pointless.

Haha well I get both my C and C+E as part of my trade so its a useful thing to have I guess. Likewise from all the ads I've read it doesn't seem massively difficult bettering my wage even if it is just driving wagons.

Yeah sod it I probably will just click when the time comes, the worries did seem kind of daft in hindsight as realistically what are they going to do, not promote me? 😂

I have mechanical engineering NVQ lvls 2+3 as a result of my trade as well as a bit of experience but tbh I may just try do the JLR ex forces one like you said. That way you know you're getting some decent training to ready you for the job
Reply 14
To be honest what helped me most was the experience I gained inbetween the times I was in the army, after I left last time I did all sorts like security, banking, construction projects, it's that experience that has companies wanting to talk to me, Honda today, a bank just called me earlier, Amazon just offered me something quite good, a local airport offered me something. I honestly can't say any of them were like oh you were in the army that's so amazing, it's the private sector experience they're leaning on, it's a shame the Army has so much potential to turn somebody into something great but the people at the regiments are so bent on you just doing as you're told.

It's a weird one, don't regret being in the Army but I also stopped an online business and sold out my stock market investments to go run around in the mud so...apples and oranges isn't it haha
Original post by Anon35
To be honest what helped me most was the experience I gained inbetween the times I was in the army, after I left last time I did all sorts like security, banking, construction projects, it's that experience that has companies wanting to talk to me, Honda today, a bank just called me earlier, Amazon just offered me something quite good, a local airport offered me something. I honestly can't say any of them were like oh you were in the army that's so amazing, it's the private sector experience they're leaning on, it's a shame the Army has so much potential to turn somebody into something great but the people at the regiments are so bent on you just doing as you're told.

It's a weird one, don't regret being in the Army but I also stopped an online business and sold out my stock market investments to go run around in the mud so...apples and oranges isn't it haha

From what I've read that's where most people come unstuck. They basically say 'was in for 12 years, was a sergeant in a Recce troop etc etc, give me a job!'. The trick is to convert what you've done in the army into civvy speak so they're more likely to understand where you're coming from. So using the above example they could say 'led and motivated a team of 20 individuals to achieve a common goal under testing circumstances' or something along those lines.

I know the feeling, at a point now where family and friends and my life is becoming more important than being green and I just want something that allows me to focus on that more than chasing an SJAR. Plus I am getting tired of being treated like a brainless child and blanket punished because some yokel smashed his part of the block up when drunk.
Reply 16
Original post by Y333EEE
From what I've read that's where most people come unstuck. They basically say 'was in for 12 years, was a sergeant in a Recce troop etc etc, give me a job!'. The trick is to convert what you've done in the army into civvy speak so they're more likely to understand where you're coming from. So using the above example they could say 'led and motivated a team of 20 individuals to achieve a common goal under testing circumstances' or something along those lines.

I know the feeling, at a point now where family and friends and my life is becoming more important than being green and I just want something that allows me to focus on that more than chasing an SJAR. Plus I am getting tired of being treated like a brainless child and blanket punished because some yokel smashed his part of the block up when drunk.

Exactly, thats what they will tell you in resettlement, so you've basically finished resettlement already!

"Plus I am getting tired of being treated like a brainless child and blanket punished because some yokel smashed his part of the block up when drunk."

That was my number 1 motivation really, civvy streets treating me like an adult, valuing what I say, pay me more and I'm at home. Yea you travel around the world great, ok I went skiing and stuff but those are odd weeks, 3months I was in canada I was freezing my nuts off at -17c or in a hole somewhere, not exactly seeing the sights haha, plus the skiing was a lucky chance wasn't even our regiments slot, some good times in germany again i had to push, get onto shooting team to get those good times so again lucky rather than the norm.

I've found it weird coming from an all male regiment and every interview I had after leaving appears to be(so far), two women grilling me in a room, it's different...

We've hijacked this thread massively haha....standard.
Original post by Anon35
Exactly, thats what they will tell you in resettlement, so you've basically finished resettlement already!

"Plus I am getting tired of being treated like a brainless child and blanket punished because some yokel smashed his part of the block up when drunk."

That was my number 1 motivation really, civvy streets treating me like an adult, valuing what I say, pay me more and I'm at home. Yea you travel around the world great, ok I went skiing and stuff but those are odd weeks, 3months I was in canada I was freezing my nuts off at -17c or in a hole somewhere, not exactly seeing the sights haha, plus the skiing was a lucky chance wasn't even our regiments slot, some good times in germany again i had to push, get onto shooting team to get those good times so again lucky rather than the norm.

I've found it weird coming from an all male regiment and every interview I had after leaving appears to be(so far), two women grilling me in a room, it's different...

We've hijacked this thread massively haha....standard.

My thinking was if I make a start doing it now and perfecting my CV etc then I'm in a much stronger position when I do come to leave. I know of lads who have signed off, chinned off their resettlement drinking and partying then they panic at the last minute, realising they need to find a job and try to sign back on, only to find they can't do so and flop when they leave.

That's the no 1 thing that really hacks me off. They even had the lads who were involved with this particular incident so they could have just made an example out of them to deter other people from doing the same. But no, 6 room inspections in the space of a week for the entire block as we could have 'influenced the situation' never mind the fact it was a bank hol weekend and I was over 200 miles away at the time and could have done nothing of the sort. As were the majority of others living in the block. Yeah I've had some class times and done some decent visits etc when I was in the Falklands but its rapidly approaching the point where the bad times outweigh the good.

Also like you said its money and time at home, just looking at HGV jobs i've gen having a hard time finding one near home that doesn't pay the same or less than I'm on in the army. Couple more money with being being close to home, mates and family there really is no point me staying in for more than a couple more years.

Haha I was just starting to think that 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Best time to leave is early on or late, there's no middle, early on you've got that experience out the way and not lost much time but blokes in the middle, too much invested to leave but not enough quals to justify going just yet, those leave late again no point if you've done 18 years to your 22 might as well do last 4 to pension...

Have you heard new comers rumors? They might have to do 6 minimum! Guess if you can't get the staff lock the gate for a bit longer eh? I mean why make it a place people want to be in when you can put the lock on....
Original post by Anon35
Best time to leave is early on or late, there's no middle, early on you've got that experience out the way and not lost much time but blokes in the middle, too much invested to leave but not enough quals to justify going just yet, those leave late again no point if you've done 18 years to your 22 might as well do last 4 to pension...

Have you heard new comers rumors? They might have to do 6 minimum! Guess if you can't get the staff lock the gate for a bit longer eh? I mean why make it a place people want to be in when you can put the lock on....

Too right, you stay in longer than 6/8 years you they've pretty much got you then. They can just dangle the pension carrot to remind you why you're staying. Not worth it for me personally as I'm on the 15 pension so if I'm lucky I might be able to afford a coffee in Costa with it.

Brilliant! I've not heard that one yet, that must have come out very recently. Not gonna lie when I'm a civvy and having a bad day that'll cheer me up no end when I'm sat in a warm building there'll be some poor sod getting wet through, living in a hole somewhere on Salisbury Plain thinking of the joys that await them in their next 6 years. What grips me is if they just stopped messing people around for others mistakes, the threat based management and just generally treated the lads like adults then they wouldn't have such a woeful retention problem. But that's too much common sense for them and it'll stop the rank feeling special 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest