The Student Room Group

MTG: Build me the ultimate Gruulfriends deck!

Since it's Pride month, and the recent War of the Spark: Ravnica novel officially had Chandra and Nissa profess their love for each other (not the first LGBT+ characters the game has seen, but certainly the most prominent), I've decided to make a new deck featuring the couple. Help me build that deck. :blow:

I've put together a basic deck, consisting of:

2 Chandra, Fire Artisan
2 Nissa, Who Shakes the World
1 Chandra's Triumph
1 Nissa's Triumph
8 Forest
8 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground

Additions:
2 Llanowar Elves
2 Paradise Druid
1 Lava Coil
1 Planewide Celebration
2 Rekindling Phoenix
1 Regisaur Alpha
1 Song of Freyalise
2 Lightning Strike
2 Jadelight Ranger
1 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds
1 Carnage Tyrant
1 Amplifire
1 Scorchmark
2 Wildgrowth Walker
1 Ilharg, the Raze-Boar
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
2 Evolution Sage
1 Ravager Wurm
2 Gruul Spellbreaker
2 Rhythm of the Wild
1 Thrashing Brontodon

That leaves 30 slots empty in order to create a 60 card deck. There are 30 days in June. So suggest cards, and I'll add one each day from among the suggestions (or bump the thread with my own additions, if it turns out nobody cares :p: ). Seasoned players, feel free to make sensible suggestions or troll suggestions. Those who've never played MTG before: here's a list of all eligible cards, who or what would you invite to the party?

Some rules, however:
Has to be standard legal, since I only play on MTG Arena.
Red and/or green only, for full Gruul flavour. Hybrids with other colours are fine.
No Broken Bond. :noway: Let's not jinx things. :puppyeyes:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Okay then, I'll kick things off with an obvious, if unexciting, but slightly more exciting because I have the MTG Arena full art promo version, Llanowar Elves!

pdom-168-llanowar-elves.jpg

Basic green mana fixing, allows me to get Nissa into play that much quicker.

I like elves.
Paradise Druid for more ramp. Wanna hit your 4-drops
Loving the fanart in the thread and your avatar!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Paradise Druid for more ramp. Wanna hit your 4-drops

Paradise Druid is a great card. :yes: Love that it's 'one mana of any colour', and the hexproof protects it from all the mono-red aggro out there (at least until I've gotten to use it).
Loving the fanart in the thread and your avatar!

Not my own works, mind (I can't draw at all). :laugh: The big OP image actually links to the artists' DA page, while the avatar is from here. :yes:
Paradise Druid added! :blow:

war-171-paradise-druid.jpg

I love Nils Hamm's art, though I think his style shines the most in darker, creepier cards (e.g. Eyes Everywhere, Catacomb Crocodile).
Lava Coil, because you don't want opposing creatures to be able to take swings at the cute couple.
Lava Coil, because you don't want opposing creatures to be able to take swings at the cute couple.

Another good suggestion! I tend to favour instant speed burn spells, but the 4 damage and bonus exile are very nice indeed.
Lava Coil added! :headfire:

grn-108-lava-coil.jpg

While visiting Scryfall to get these images and links, I had a look at the bunch of highlighted cards on the site's front page. They change these every month or so, and there's usually a clear theme. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what might link the likes of Wall of Stone and Rainbow Crow, despite three of the others literally having Pride in their names. :colondollar: An already awesome website just moved even higher in my estimation!
(edited 4 years ago)
Doubling up on the Llanowar Elves for day 4. :blow: But have the other Standard art for some variation:

dom-168-llanowar-elves.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)

Fantastic suggestion! Very on flavour, too. :yep:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Fantastic suggestion! Very on flavour, too. :yep:

can't imagine life w/out party lol
Btw The Mtg cards r soo wow like i dont realise time flying by while browsing!
also is song of freyalise too offlimits?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
can't imagine life w/out party lol
Btw The Mtg cards r soo wow like i dont realise time flying by while browsing!
also is song of freyalise too offlimits?

Love the avatar! :biggrin:

Do you play much MTG yourself? :smile:

Song of Freyalise is fine, and an interesting choice. :holmes: Would turn even my red creatures into mana sources, and the +1/+1 counters work nicely with Planewide Celebration's Proliferate. Really low mana cost, too!
Love the avatar! :biggrin:

Do you play much MTG yourself? :smile:

Song of Freyalise is fine, and an interesting choice. :holmes: Would turn even my red creatures into mana sources, and the +1/+1 counters work nicely with Planewide Celebration's Proliferate. Really low mana cost, too!

Thnkz on that note lol may I also add Vivien champion of the wild?

lmao I just found abt it thnkzz 2 this thread!

cool! idk much on it but it gave out guud vibes haha
Thnkz on that note lol may I also add Vivien champion of the wild?

lmao I just found abt it thnkzz 2 this thread!

cool! idk much on it but it gave out guud vibes haha

Definitely one of the best Planeswalkers in the new set, great suggestion.

Really? :zomg: Well I'm glad it was of interest to you. :yes: And you've given out some amazing suggestions considering that. :p:

Magic: The Gathering Arena (the newer and flashier of the two online versions) is free to download and play, if that's of any interest to you. :smile:
Definitely one of the best Planeswalkers in the new set, great suggestion.

Really? :zomg: Well I'm glad it was of interest to you. :yes: And you've given out some amazing suggestions considering that. :p:

Magic: The Gathering Arena (the newer and flashier of the two online versions) is free to download and play, if that's of any interest to you. :smile:

Awesome just saw there's quite many Planeswalkers around!
Ya me 2 lol thnkz I'll keep watching 4 updates (btw ive yet to discover the mystery abt broken bond )
Tank u rlly ill need 2 wait a bit tho coz my PC is grounded lol but i can still read their stories (awfully too many lol)
(edited 4 years ago)
Awesome just saw there's quite many Planeswalkers around!
Ya me 2 lol thnkz I'll keep watching 4 updates (btw ive yet to discover the mystery abt broken bond )
Tank u rlly ill need 2 wait a bit tho coz my PC is grounded lol but i can still read their stories (awfully too many lol)

Just a few! :p: The latest set (War of the Spark) is the grand finale of a storyline which has been building up for years, and is heavily Planeswalker focused. 36 in all, mostly existing characters from older sets, with a couple of new ones thrown in to make things interesting.

Broken Bond is from Dominaria; relates to Nissa leaving the Gatewatch.
Just a few! :p: The latest set (War of the Spark) is the grand finale of a storyline which has been building up for years, and is heavily Planeswalker focused. 36 in all, mostly existing characters from older sets, with a couple of new ones thrown in to make things interesting.

Broken Bond is from Dominaria; relates to Nissa leaving the Gatewatch.

Lol for somereason i assumed all characters were Planewalkers
Yass just what i needed btw is it after ascension of Ravnica Allegiance?
For now I'll focus over Nissa, Chandra n Vivien (that's a lifetime of peepol tho 36 is only two digit loll)

I see i have quite a law lot reading to do lol (is Gatewatch another plane?)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest