The Student Room Group

MTG: Build me the ultimate Gruulfriends deck!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
Lol for somereason i assumed all characters were Planewalkers
Yass just what i needed btw is it after ascension of Ravnica Allegiance?
For now I'll focus over Nissa, Chandra n Vivien (that's a lifetime of peepol tho 36 is only two digit loll)

I see i have quite a law lot reading to do lol (is Gatewatch another plane?)

Planeswalkers are able to travel from one world (or plane) to another, so most recurring characters are Planeswalkers; each of those planes have plenty of major, important characters of their own though.

The exact Broken Bond event is right at the start of Return to Dominaria, episode 1 on that list of story links you posted. Well before Ravnica Allegiance.

Makes sense to start with the characters you like. :yes: Their individual MTG wiki pages give good summaries of their roles in the stories. I'll admit, there are loads of characters in War of the Spark whose backstories I know little to nothing about. :colondollar:

The Gatewatch is a group of Planeswalkers who agreed to join forces to face any threats big enough to threaten the Multiverse. MTG's equivalent of The Avengers, if you will. :p:
Just finished a game on MTG Arena using my mono green elf deck... which isn't all that different from the one taking shape here, aside from the lack of Chandra and Lava Coil of course. Great opening hand. :coma:

Elvivien.jpeg
I'd recommend Regisaur Alpha for RG, even outside of a dino deck it's a great midrange card, especially if you have some decent ramp (e.g. more Llanowar Elves :3 ) and can get it out earlier. Raging Swordtooth might be useful if you need something to wipe out tokens, and/or if you use cards which do stuff when they take damage (like, many dinosaur cards...I may be showing my bias from my Huatli dino deck xD ), since I think Fiery Cannonade rotated out (not sure if any similar spread options came in more recently though).

The much loathed Rekindling Phoenix is pretty good in any R deck, more or less. The only caveat is it's a mythic rare (not that it stops everyone seeming to run 4 at all times...), and I assume Ixalan is the next block to get rotated out so...you might have a kind of limited run with it. Lightning Strike is also a pretty standard red staple, can't really go wrong with that.

Have they added a commander/EDH mode to MTG Arena yet? I might start playing again if they have (also, have those godawful Teferi UWG fog decks finally died out?) :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thnkz on that note lol may I also add Vivien champion of the wild?

lmao I just found abt it thnkzz 2 this thread!

cool! idk much on it but it gave out guud vibes haha

In terms of mechanics, Vivien sounds good, but where flavour's concerned, won't she feel like a third wheel in this deck?
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Planeswalkers are able to travel from one world (or plane) to another, so most recurring characters are Planeswalkers; each of those planes have plenty of major, important characters of their own though.

The exact Broken Bond event is right at the start of Return to Dominaria, episode 1 on that list of story links you posted. Well before Ravnica Allegiance.

Makes sense to start with the characters you like. :yes: Their individual MTG wiki pages give good summaries of their roles in the stories. I'll admit, there are loads of characters in War of the Spark whose backstories I know little to nothing about. :colondollar:

The Gatewatch is a group of Planeswalkers who agreed to join forces to face any threats big enough to threaten the Multiverse. MTG's equivalent of The Avengers, if you will. :p:

Ah fairss
gotcha tankzz
hmm gud idea ya shud check out those wikis.. .haha gud thing they're endless i wudnt get bored lol
woah ubercool!!!!

wish i could rep the post w/ deck...more coming soon?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
In terms of mechanics, Vivien sounds good, but where flavour's concerned, won't she feel like a third wheel in this deck?

yh uve raised a fair point thnkz; i thought initially she might aswel be a gud guide around forests but wait does this mean the only planewalkers allowed in the deck would be limited to Chandra and Nissa? If yes then i shud change my suggestion.

@AngryJellyfish is it possible to replace Vivien if needed?
(edited 4 years ago)
Also on purely thematic grounds, Hallar the Firefletcher might fit, since they're gender-nonconforming, RG, and have a sort of inverse version of Chandra's passive ability when using kickers. Of course, then you'd need to find some kicker spells to include and it might skew the deck into a different sort. However I don't get the impression Hallar's mechanic is all that good, as opposed to just conceptually interesting...
Original post by artful_lounger
I'd recommend Regisaur Alpha for RG, even outside of a dino deck it's a great midrange card, especially if you have some decent ramp (e.g. more Llanowar Elves :3 ) and can get it out earlier. Raging Swordtooth might be useful if you need something to wipe out tokens, and/or if you use cards which do stuff when they take damage (like, many dinosaur cards...I may be showing my bias from my Huatli dino deck xD ), since I think Fiery Cannonade rotated out (not sure if any similar spread options came in more recently though).

The much loathed Rekindling Phoenix is pretty good in any R deck, more or less. The only caveat is it's a mythic rare (not that it stops everyone seeming to run 4 at all times...), and I assume Ixalan is the next block to get rotated out so...you might have a kind of limited run with it. Lightning Strike is also a pretty standard red staple, can't really go wrong with that.

Have they added a commander/EDH mode to MTG Arena yet? I might start playing again if they have (also, have those godawful Teferi UWG fog decks finally died out?) :tongue:

I have an RG dino deck already revolving around Enrage; while it would work very well, I'd prefer this deck to feel a bit different. Regisaur Alpha is a good call in any RG deck though, I agree with you there. Not so keen on the Swordtooth here, sounds like a good way to kill off all my own mana dorks. :p: So too Fiery Cannonade, which is still standard legal (along with the rest of Ixalan) for a few months yet. :yes:

Rekindling Phoenix is good. Functions as either a regenerating blocker and/or evasive attacker, whatever the situation calls for. I have one copy, but if the deck calls for more then I've got a month to find the wildcards. :giggle:

No formats aside from Standard (Constructed, Sealed and Draft, plus the odd special event e.g. Pauper, Singleton) at the moment, and the fact that they're launching Modern Horizons exclusively on the aging Magic Online suggests that there's no plans to change that in the near future. Still, the game's only in Beta, and new stuff is being added all the time, so I remain hopeful.

yh uve raised a fair point thnkz; i thought initially she might aswel be a gud guide around forests but wait does this mean the only planewalkers allowed in the deck would be limited to Chandra and Nissi? If yes then i shud change my suggestion.

@AngryJellyfish is it possible to replace Vivien if needed?

I'm open to having more Planeswalkers involved than just those two. Maybe with fewer copies to compensate? :p:

Original post by artful_lounger
Also on purely thematic grounds, Hallar the Firefletcher might fit, since they're gender-nonconforming, RG, and have a sort of inverse version of Chandra's passive ability when using kickers. Of course, then you'd need to find some kicker spells to include and it might skew the deck into a different sort. However I don't get the impression Hallar's mechanic is all that good, as opposed to just conceptually interesting...

I was going to bring up Hallar at some point; I'm torn, because theme-wise and colour-wise, what a perfect fit! Makes much more sense in a Commander deck full of Kicker combos, though.
(edited 4 years ago)
wish i could rep the post w/ deck...more coming soon?

Missed this post; I've been adding one card to the deck per day, painfully stretching it out for the sake of this thread. :p: It gives me an excuse to bump it daily, making it more likely that people will see the thread (it's worked so far :colone:) And it also allows the discussion to go on a bit longer. :yes: The tricky part will be deciding which of tonight's flood of recommendations to add first!
Not so keen on the Swordtooth here, sounds like a good way to kill off all my own mana dorks. :p: So too Fiery Cannonade, which is still standard legal (along with the rest of Ixalan) for a few months yet. :yes:.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Llanowar Elves were 1/1 too :x I now remember why I always used druid of the cowl in my dino deck (and/or drover of the mighty, which nearly always had the boost) :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Day 5 addition: Planewide Celebration! :party:

war-172-planewide-celebration.jpg

This fits the theme so well. :coma: And I like versatile cards which I can adapt to whatever the situation calls for. Proliferate + returning cards from the graveyard are likely to be the main uses here, but I can imagine situations where a bunch of lifegain or creature tokens would take precedence. Heck, I can choose all four if I want to. :biggrin:
I'm open to having more Planeswalkers involved than just those two. Maybe with fewer copies to compensate? :p:

Cool! whatcha think abt Azorius Senate
Missed this post; I've been adding one card to the deck per day, painfully stretching it out for the sake of this thread. :p: It gives me an excuse to bump it daily, making it more likely that people will see the thread (it's worked so far :colone:) And it also allows the discussion to go on a bit longer. :yes: The tricky part will be deciding which of tonight's flood of recommendations to add first!

Np ...I see..
Hehe GL hope Chandra n Nissa helps thru the choices
Day 5 addition: Planewide Celebration! :party:

war-172-planewide-celebration.jpg

This fits the theme so well. :coma: And I like versatile cards which I can adapt to whatever the situation calls for. Proliferate + returning cards from the graveyard are likely to be the main uses here, but I can imagine situations where a bunch of lifegain or creature tokens would take precedence. Heck, I can choose all four if I want to. :biggrin:

Imagine playing a Chandra on t3, a Nissa on t4, then casting this on t5, proliferating four times, ultimating Nissa and then Chandra, and casting all sorts of things 0.o
Cool! whatcha think abt Azorius Senate

Of all the ten Guilds of Ravnica, it's the one I'm least fond of/interested in. I've never been much of a Blue/control player, and hate counter spells. I do use a couple of White cards that are technically Azorius cards in other decks, though (Unbreakable Formation works just as well with Boros, and Sentinel's Mark in my Selesnya enchantments deck).
Imagine playing a Chandra on t3, a Nissa on t4, then casting this on t5, proliferating four times, ultimating Nissa and then Chandra, and casting all sorts of things 0.o

That's the dream! :coma: Of course, I'm more likely to end up with this, Nissa and a bunch of Mountains in my starting hand, knowing my luck. :laugh:
Of all the ten Guilds of Ravnica, it's the one I'm least fond of/interested in. I've never been much of a Blue/control player, and hate counter spells. I do use a couple of White cards that are technically Azorius cards in other decks, though (Unbreakable Formation works just as well with Boros, and Sentinel's Mark in my Selesnya enchantments deck).

I see... lol didnt check if it was green or red card on scryfall site woops
I see... lol didnt check if it was green or red card on scryfall site woops

Azorius are always White and/or Blue. :yes: This page of the wiki gives a basic run down of the 10 guilds and their colours. Obviously focusing more on the Gruul (Red/Green) side of things here. :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Azorius are always White and/or Blue. :yes: This page of the wiki gives a basic run down of the 10 guilds and their colours. Obviously focusing more on the Gruul (Red/Green) side of things here. :biggrin:

Omfg thnkzz
is it gruul focused due to Chandra n Nissa being fire and earth elementals?
Possibly off-topic, but have y'all seen/tried out this colour quiz: https://still-anchorage-15218.herokuapp.com/ ? It includes the various colour combinations (e.g. shards, guilds) as well as mono colours. Kinda interesting I think xD

@AngryJellyfish :O

(I always get blue...sometimes blue and other things, like Esper or Izzet, but always at least one of the major colours is blue...)

Quick Reply

Latest