The Student Room Group

Help offered for History Edexcel Cold War GCSE

Hello y'all, in a sense I would like to offer you help by providing you any sort of information if you're confused by any of the events. Please bare in mind I'm doing Edexcel 1941-91. Ask any question (of course in the limits of the specification)!

Scroll to see replies

why was SALT 2 a failure?
Reply 2
Hello! Thanks for commenting :smile:
Even when attempts of detente were formed, an event such as the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan profoundly changed the relations between the superpowers.
Basically the US Senate refused to ratify Salt 2. I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by OllyDaws
why was SALT 2 a failure?
what were the events of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
Reply 4
Hello!

Right, so! In Afghanistan, Brezhnev was concerned about the growing power of Islamic fundamentalism and wanted to basically show that the 30 million Muslims in the Soviet Union that there would be no changes in the way the Soviet Union was run.
The USSR argued that they were fighting against the secret involvement of the USA in Afghanistan, but the USA argued that the Soviets invaded because they wanted to expand their influence in Asia & gain control of the oil supply.
All in all, more than 50,000 Soviet troops went to Afghanistan to restore order from the Muslim guerrilla movement known as the mujahideen.
It contributed to the collapse of detente as America saw the Soviet Union's invasion as an aggressive move and threat to world peace. Carter stopped exporting grain & technology to the USSR, did not ratify SALT II and boycotted the Moscow Olympics in 1980.

Original post by Aryan3031
what were the events of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
are you doing the exam tomorrow?
And is it important to mention the death of Amin and the appointment of pro-soviet Babrak Karmal?
Reply 6
Yes :smile:
It isn't important to mention them, it's just for further details. Unless their deaths contributed to something, you can add it in your exam answer.
are you doing the exam tomorrow?
And is it important to mention the death of Amin and the appointment of pro-soviet Babrak Karmal?
Cool and do we have to know what happened in all of the summits because only a few of them actually lead to something significant?
Original post by liaente
Yes :smile:
It isn't important to mention them, it's just for further details. Unless their deaths contributed to something, you can add it in your exam answer.
Reply 8
I believe not, as for myself - I'm not going to bother in memorising them except the Paris summit regarding the Berlin Ultimatum, and the Washington 1990 one where Bush and Gorbachev agreed on the Treaty for the Reduction & Limitation of Strategic Arms (START).
Unfortunately, for History paper 1 Crime & Punishment there was a ridiculous first question which nobody expected - even for me, I flittered through it. If the exam board is harsh on us, they may want us to know the summit conferences for a consequence 8 marker, but I really doubt it.
Cool and do we have to know what happened in all of the summits because only a few of them actually lead to something significant?
Yeah I'm planning on just doing Paris and Washington. What grade are you aiming for?
Original post by liaente
I believe not, as for myself - I'm not going to bother in memorising them except the Paris summit regarding the Berlin Ultimatum, and the Washington 1990 one where Bush and Gorbachev agreed on the Treaty for the Reduction & Limitation of Strategic Arms (START).
Unfortunately, for History paper 1 Crime & Punishment there was a ridiculous first question which nobody expected - even for me, I flittered through it. If the exam board is harsh on us, they may want us to know the summit conferences for a consequence 8 marker, but I really doubt it.
Reply 10
Grade 9 :smile:, wbu?
Yeah I'm planning on just doing Paris and Washington. What grade are you aiming for?
Me too, but I'm not doing it for A level so I wouldn't be too bothered with an 8
Original post by liaente
Grade 9 :smile:, wbu?
Reply 12
Sweet, I'm doing it for A-level instead of maths, idk what hit my head for trying to take on maths lmao.
Me too, but I'm not doing it for A level so I wouldn't be too bothered with an 8
Lol it's the opposite for me: I'm doing maths and Further Maths which I'm actually looking forward to xD
Original post by liaente
Sweet, I'm doing it for A-level instead of maths, idk what hit my head for trying to take on maths lmao.
Reply 14
Ah that must be so cool, I'd love to be good at maths! Wish you the best xx :smile:
Lol it's the opposite for me: I'm doing maths and Further Maths which I'm actually looking forward to xD
Can you please tell me about SALT and Helenski
Original post by liaente
Hello y'all, in a sense I would like to offer you help by providing you any sort of information if you're confused by any of the events. Please bare in mind I'm doing Edexcel 1941-91. Ask any question (of course in the limits of the specification)!

Hi could you please go over the soviet expansion 1945-1948
Hey how did it go for you? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Smoothly! Didn't expect Virginia so I didn't revise it, but I used my long-term memory lolz, wbu?
Hey how did it go for you? :biggrin:
Reply 19
Sorry guys that I couldn't answer your questions, I was off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending