The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Spanish Writing Paper 2019

I have one question. For the writing paper, where there is a 90 word and 150 word question, will AQA except much, much longer answers? For the 150 word question, I kinda got carried away and wrote almost 300. And for the 90 word question I wrote 150 words. I'm worried because I want to get a 9 and writing is usually my strongest point, but if I write too much I might lose a lot of marks. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the same thing, I was hoping for a 9 too D: i just hope that we don't get penalized because i feel like it would be unfair to mark someone down when they have so much to say
Original post by SpanishBook
I have one question. For the writing paper, where there is a 90 word and 150 word question, will AQA except much, much longer answers? For the 150 word question, I kinda got carried away and wrote almost 300. And for the 90 word question I wrote 150 words. I'm worried because I want to get a 9 and writing is usually my strongest point, but if I write too much I might lose a lot of marks. Any feedback would be appreciated.
you won't get penalised, dw. although my teacher told us not to go over the limit much, you're bound to make more mistakes. giving a shorter, much more accurate answer is better apparently but i didn't do that lol- i went way over the limit (500 words for the 150 q :eek: )
(edited 4 years ago)
snap I also wrote way more than I shpudlve and am hoping for a nine. anyway, dw cause you don't get penalilsed for going over the word count, youre just more likely to make mistakes (and therefore negatively affect your mark) if u do, but theres no instant deduction so ur good :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks guys. Personally for me if AQA are gonna give us an hour and fifteen minutes they should at least increase the number of words we need to write. And they gave us 4 whole pages for the 32 mark question so they are being pretty dumb by limiting us to only 150 words
It's so easy to get carried away when they give you so much space to write in!
I do French, but my teacher said that even if you write more than what is required, the examiner MUST mark all of it. I wouldn't worry too much.
Ok good, but my Spanish teacher said there's often a cut-off point, say for example on the 90 word q the examiner might read up to about 140 words or so. Dunno if I'd trust what she said though
Original post by lily0293
I do French, but my teacher said that even if you write more than what is required, the examiner MUST mark all of it. I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 8
Massive W for us today guys. I emailed AQA yesterday about this issue and I got a reply this morning confirming that quantity doesn't matter, and they don't want students wasting time counting words. They also said that they mark and judge ALL of the work and that it's the quality that counts.SPANISH WRITING W 2.0.png
ayyyyyyy AQA coming thru for once

Massive W for us today guys. I emailed AQA yesterday about this issue and I got a reply this morning confirming that quantity doesn't matter, and they don't want students wasting time counting words. They also said that they mark and judge ALL of the work and that it's the quality that counts.SPANISH WRITING W 2.0.png

Same, I wrote 160 for the 90 word and 300 for the 150 word
They're just guidelines dw

Thank you so much for clearing this up! I spent so long counting words lol, and I could have written more. Ehh never mind, I gave it my best shot all the same :smile:
you can waffle as much as you want (at least thats what i did for my french, spanish and itialian writing exams) but you need to make sure that your grammar is on point and that there are some difficult structural features otherwise is just a waste of time
(edited 4 years ago)
Yesss I completely agree, I tried to squeeze in lots of good structures. Wow, it must be great to be multilingual!! I love learning languages
Original post by sqrt of 5
you can waffle as much as you want (at least thats what i did for my french, spanish and itialian writing exams) but you need to make sure that you're grammar is on point and that there are some difficult structural features otherwise is just a waste of time
Original post by chibibotto
Yesss I completely agree, I tried to squeeze in lots of good structures. Wow, it must be great to be multilingual!! I love learning languages

same here! im gonna learn korean this summer cant waittt

They probably should make that clearer. That is not well-known, I'm sure some people would have limited themselves due to the word limit.
Wow that sounds amazing :smile: Is it sad that I know better Spanish than i do my own mother tongue :s-smilie: I want to focus on learning it this summer too
same here! im gonna learn korean this summer cant waittt
Original post by UnbelievablyEasy
They probably should make that clearer. That is not well-known, I'm sure some people would have limited themselves due to the word limit.

the word limit is there for a reason. if you're not able to articulate your sentences with good phrases/structures the examiner will mark you down.
Original post by chibibotto
Wow that sounds amazing :smile: Is it sad that I know better Spanish than i do my own mother tongue :s-smilie: I want to focus on learning it this summer too

no it's not hahah dw x
the word limit is there for a reason. if you're not able to articulate your sentences with good phrases/structures the examiner will mark you down.

I completely get your point, but it isn't a word limit. They could clarify that anything way over 150 words is still getting marked, in my opinion (in the question).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending