The Student Room Group

Has Trump done anything good since becoming president?

Question above^

Scroll to see replies

Depends what your political ideologies are. If you're a right-wing white male then Trump has done amazing things. If you're a woman who values the rights over her body and an immigrant who wants equal opportunities then not so much :frown:
As a businessman, I respect his boldness with trade wars and tariffs. Not many would be brave enough to go balls deep on multiple fronts.
Original post by Themysticalegg
As a businessman, I respect his boldness with trade wars and tariffs. Not many would be brave enough to go balls deep on multiple fronts.

That either means he is a forward thinking smart guy, or a moron. Judging from his business failures I’m leaning towards the latter.
Yh-Gave us the phrase "Fake News"
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxxQM7GxJA
(edited 4 years ago)
What exactly has he done?
Original post by Themysticalegg
What exactly did he do?I have heard of the abortion laws getting more strict (which is not good) is that the only bad thing which he has done?
Original post by powerpuff674
Depends what your political ideologies are. If you're a right-wing white male then Trump has done amazing things. If you're a woman who values the rights over her body and an immigrant who wants equal opportunities then not so much :frown:
Original post by Anonymous1502
What exactly did he do?I have heard of the abortion laws getting more strict (which is not good) is that the only bad thing which he has done?

Abortion laws becoming more strict isn’t trumps doing at all. Individual states are legislating on the issue.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Original post by limetang
Abortion laws becoming more strict isn’t trumps doing at all. Individual states are legislating on the issue.
https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/laws-policy/federal-government/donald-trump-abortion/

Trump’s has chosen many nominees who are against reproductive freedom, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch. He had said that he is strongly 'pro-life' as well.

Some quotes:
-Trump said there should be “some sort of punishment” for women who seek abortion if it were outlawed.
-He’s said of Planned Parenthood, “It is like an abortion factory, frankly.”
I guess he's proven the supposed checks and balances of the separation of powers works to some extent, what with being struck down by the Judiciary whenever he tries to turn his latest authoritarian brain fart into reality via an executive order...

(also more recently, by the House of Representatives)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
he's done more than any other president in the last 20 years, its just a shame the left has brainwashed basically every single dumb person in the education system, which is about 90%R of you cornbynistas :smile:
Here's my attempt at giving examples.

1. He's plans to put tariffs of 5% on all Mexican goods which will increase the cost of goods from Mexico to the US. With Tariffs the income of 5% goes to the US government and it makes Mexican goods less competitive for US consumers who may choose to buy elsewhere. Although Mexico has a trade surplus and you may think they have the advantage. (they export more to the US than they import from them) They actually really don't as this will likely cripple Mexico's economy who exports around 76% of their goods to the US. People may buy their frying pan from Canada instead of Mexico because Canadian goods are cheaper as a result of the tariffs as Mexican goods become less competitive and more expensive. (Silly sample)

Summary: Trump is intent on using economic weapons to cripple Mexico's economy until they reduce migration from Mexico to the US from next week. He has threatened that these tariffs will rise from 5% to 25% if they don't take considerable steps to reduce migration. Hope that made sense.

2. Tariffs and trade war with China. This has damaged both sides extensively and the IMF believe $455 billion in output will be lost next year. The US are negotiating with China on a new free trade deal and they really want their way. Until the US gets their way the US is willing to damage both the US and China economically in order to get their way but Trump knows he can do more damage to them than China can do to the US. The US are at an advantage again because the US import $539 billion worth of Chinese goods and China only imports $120 billion of US goods. So what does that mean? Well the Chinese have tariffed $110 billion basically everything they import from the US. The US have only tariffed $250 billion so far but they can tariff $289 billion more goods whilst China only have $10 billion more to play with. Tariffs have increased from 10% to 25%, so Chinese goods have become severely less competitive.

Conclusion: The US can continue crippling China because the China exports and sells far more goods to the US than the other way. Therefore, as a businessman he's doing well. You get the point, the US is doing the same thing to India now too. :lol: I hope that made some sense. He is very intent on renegotiating trade deals around the world and he withdrew from the TPP trading partnership. :rofl: The most risky one is China which cripples both economies but he knows he has the upper hand so....
Things aren't as simple as I have described their are other factors in play such as foreign currency reserves but it should give you an insight into what Trump is doing.

I do not believe any sitting president has done anything so drastic in economic policy in recent years has done anything so drastic, especially with China which I do not believe anyone was brave enough to start a trade war with before to address issues such as the consistent Chinese trade surplus with the US. You'll also notice a lot of his cabinet are actually businessman.

Businessmen are ruthless. :tongue: He's also aiming his gun at the EU with tariffs on EU Steel and plans for further tariffs...
What exactly has he done?
(edited 4 years ago)
To be fair that was a legacy in itself. Other US presidents have not brought North Korea onto a negotiating table.
Also, Paris Climate Agreement withdrawal, such a ridiculous and egocentric move
I hate Trump but I think his willingness to question China's trade policy is a bold one that more leaders should discuss even if he is approaching it from the wrong way and the fact he is undermining his policy by alienating all of his other western allies when he needs them most.
Reply 16
Original post by powerpuff674
Some quotes:
-Trump said there should be “some sort of punishment” for women who seek abortion if it were outlawed.
-He’s said of Planned Parenthood, “It is like an abortion factory, frankly.”

And the fact that he said such things makes the case, anyone saying such things is just... bad. There's even no need for further elaborating, it's just... bad. Technically speaking, he is right in saying that if someone commits a crime ought to expect some punishment. It's not even mildly controversial, under the light of reason. As for PP, I don't know them but presumably they offer abortion as a service. Semantics.
Annoyed the normies.
IMO the only good thing he's done is nearly gotten himself impeached. Shame he hasn't succeeded
Pulled out of the Trans Pacific Partnership.

Quick Reply