The Student Room Group

Iranian girl gets highest possible Mensa IQ score

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palmyra
An 11-year-old Iranian school girl has just become the new face of braininess after receiving the highest possible score on the Mensa IQ test.

"Tara Sharifi, a student in UK's Aylesbury High School, recently took the test in Oxford, where she scored an impressive 162 points. The result puts Sharifi well above the “genius benchmark” of 140.

It also places her just ahead of Albert Einstein's projected IQ of 160 (although Einstein never sat for the test and this estimation has been questioned).

Her father Hossein Sharifi told reporters that he is "extremely proud" of his daughter -- though he had an inkling of her intellectual prowess. “I figured she might do well when we watched TV and she would get maths questions before the contestants. I knew she was very clever but I did not think she would have such a high IQ.”

The 11-year-old has expressed an interest in pursuing further studies in maths -- a sign, perhaps, that she will follow late the late [Iranian] Fields Medal-winning mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani's footsteps?"

Source

“Iranian girl”

Wonder why you posted this :wink:

In all seriousness, that’s really impressive.
Original post by JasmineLLB
“Iranian girl”

Wonder why you posted this :wink:

In all seriousness, that’s really impressive.

You know me, I like to share all positive news of incredible achievements :tongue:
Well my name is Hannah...
Original post by Palmyra
Her name is Tara...
Original post by -Quava-
Well my name is Hannah...

"Its imperative that Muslim children are named with Islamic names"

Can't be that imperative then can it...
I did also mention that my some members extended family knows of her family??? So I’m right to assume.
Why are you getting triggered about me celebrating the girls race, religion, gender- everything about her needs to be appreciated because it’s not common for an ethnicity minority, of a Muslim background also being a female to make such an achievement.
Why are you not happy about her achievemen and everything she stands for? It’s amazing.
I’m so happy I identify with someone like that, my mother growing up never had young girls like her in the press. So I’ll be celebrate her religion, race and gender till the cows come home because I’m so proud of her.
Good day.
Original post by angel.xo
If those are your views thats fine but i and many others don't give a **** about what muhammad said. Please don't assume shes muslim and its sad you need someone to be a muslim to relate to them.
Its a damaging stereotype to dump her under muslim just because shes iranian. In times like this I wish iran was truly iran with zoroastrian and not a silly religion imposed on them but oh well i will read this letter forever and dream http://www.persepolis.nu/timeline-letters.htm

have a good day :smile:
Yay! So proud of my iranian sister ^^
Original post by Palmyra
"Its imperative that Muslim children are named with Islamic names"

Can't be that imperative then can it...

Tara and Hannah are both Islamic names:colonhash:

Why am I having this argument? Again, I’m just here to celebrate her religion race and gender because it’s a big thing for a young girl of her background to be in the press. I’m here to celebrate everything she is and stands for.
So a huge applaud to my Iranian Muslim Sister- wonderful achievement and a great example to other young Arabs/Asians/Women/Muslims.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by -Quava-
Tara and Hannah are both Islamic names

Hannah is a Hebrew name and Tara is NOT an Islamic name (it's Persian).

http://quranicnames.com/tara/
https://www.behindthename.com/name/hannah
Proud to be persian/iranian. 🇮🇷 :u:
Original post by palmyra
an 11-year-old iranian school girl has just become the new face of braininess after receiving the highest possible score on the mensa iq test.

"tara sharifi, a student in uk's aylesbury high school, recently took the test in oxford, where she scored an impressive 162 points. The result puts sharifi well above the “genius benchmark” of 140.

It also places her just ahead of albert einstein's projected iq of 160 (although einstein never sat for the test and this estimation has been questioned).

Her father hossein sharifi told reporters that he is "extremely proud" of his daughter -- though he had an inkling of her intellectual prowess. “i figured she might do well when we watched tv and she would get maths questions before the contestants. I knew she was very clever but i did not think she would have such a high iq.”

the 11-year-old has expressed an interest in pursuing further studies in maths -- a sign, perhaps, that she will follow late the late [iranian] fields medal-winning mathematician maryam mirzakhani's footsteps?"

source
Yes, but is she nice?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, but is she nice?

She looks innocent enough, but at that age don't they all! :tongue:
Hannah was the wife of Imran and Isa (AS) grandmother- how is that not Islamic?
Tara can be used as a Muslim name- it’s just not mentioned in the qur’aan: even the link states that.
Don’t just do two google searches and pull out two links- you really going to put all your trust in that?
Yet again, what even is this argument.
Im literally just here to say congrats for her representing the minority. Can I do that and pls leave without getting dragged across TSR?
I’ve literally not said anything for both you users to come at me apart from celebrate who she is as a young girls and what she represents and what she would mean to other young girls who see that article.
Original post by Palmyra
Hannah is a Hebrew name and Tara is NOT an Islamic name (it's Persian).

http://quranicnames.com/tara/
https://www.behindthename.com/name/hannah
When we speak about names 'belonging' to a religion/race we typically speak of origins. The origins of Hannah is in Hebrew, not Arabic or Islam. Islam is a plagiarism of Judaism and hence the overlap.

Anything can be "used as a Muslim name", that doesn't make it a Muslim name (you said "Tara and Hannah are both Islamic names"). Tara is not in the Koran thus not an Islamic name, pretty simple.
Original post by -Quava-
Hannah was the wife of Imran and Isa (AS) grandmother- how is that not Islamic?
Tara can be used as a Muslim name- it’s just not mentioned in the qur’aan: even the link states that.
Names do not have to mentioned in the Qur'aan to be classed as Islamic.
If the name is permissible to be used in Islam, then it is an Islamic name whether or not it has an overlap with other cultures or religions.
Most names will have an overlap considering Islam, Christianity and Judaism are all religions 'of the book.'
Yes, the names Tara and Hannah are permissible to be used therefore classed as Islamic, not belong to Islam- they are indirect Qur'anic names.
Bearing in mind Tara and Hannah also have very direct Qur'anic last names so if you are easily confused about overlaps of names then you can always refer to our last names for clarification :wink:

Now let me get back to congratulating my Iranian Muslim sister for her amazing achievement (that you are very bitterly attempting to stop me from doing so.
Regardless of the assumptions of her name, the facts here are she's young, she's female, she's Muslim, she comes from an ethnic minority and she's made a huge achievement. These aspects of her are important to acknowledge because not everyday does someone with all these categories makes such an amazing achievement.
Like I said before, I'm here to celebrate every part of who she is whether or not someone gets bitter over certain aspects of her that I've mentioned and they dislike.
Put the hatred and the differences aside and celebrate a wonderful moment for this sub-group of women in society.

Original post by Palmyra
When we speak about names 'belonging' to a religion/race we typically speak of origins. The origins of Hannah is in Hebrew, not Arabic or Islam. Islam is a plagiarism of Judaism and hence the overlap.

Anything can be "used as a Muslim name", that doesn't make it a Muslim name (you said "Tara and Hannah are both Islamic names"). Tara is not in the Koran thus not an Islamic name, pretty simple.
either way its not particularly impressive. the comparisons to mirzakhani are ludicrous
Original post by mpaprika
isn't the children's test a maximum of 162 and the adults max is lower?
a fortnite streamer got 240 on an iq test. they dont mean sh**
it's nice to have a high IQ and be in Mensa, but that is not as cool as having 12 gems and being on TSR :smug:
Original post by Krishna1601
yeah she goes to my school and all the teachers are so gassed to have her as part of our school

Really? Lool
Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
Ummmm good for her I guess
IQ is utter BS lol
There is so much more to life and a person than some number from some test. It's so bad at measuring what it claims to, that it can vary by as much as +-20 in a person's life. Totally just boasting rights for people who have nothing else going for them, and I suspect this girl will regret having ever agreed/ that her parents agreed to release her information to the reporters.

Sounds like someone is a bit salty. If IQ was a load of bullocks, psychologists wouldn't be using them. There's a difference between something having flaws and being utter bs. With that being said, the sky is the limit for her, but there are plenty of people with high IQs. I only resent this post due to the comparison with Einstein. Posts declaring a child prodigy always make these comparisons to people that didn't even take IQ tests. I'd be willing to bet that she won't surpass him, in achievements.
Original post by noname900
Sounds like someone is a bit salty. If IQ was a load of bullocks, psychologists wouldn't be using them. There's a difference between something having flaws and being utter bs. With that being said, the sky is the limit for her, but there are plenty of people with high IQs. I only resent this post due to the comparison with Einstein. Posts declaring a child prodigy always make these comparisons to people that didn't even take IQ tests. I'd be willing to bet that she won't surpass him, in achievements.

A totally fair and nuanced contribution, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending