The Student Room Group

Am I too late to apply for uni 2019?

So I finished college july 2018 and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, so I just got a job in retail and planned to work until I had some idea with a career path. Didn't even write a personal statement or make a UCAS account or anything because I knew I didn't have a clue what course to do.

I've recently rediscovered my passion for computer science and decided I would like to study it at university. Obviously it's now the 5th of june, and late applications have a deadline of 30 june. I have no personal statement, no ucas account or anything. Is it possible / worth me trying to apply for 2019 start? I haven't been to any open days whatsoever either which could be an issue.

Just so you know I haven't been lazy and left my application late or anything, I only just realised this is what I want to do. I'll be more than happy if I have to wait a year and work some more to start next year 2020. Any advice is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

You can apply now if you can get your personal statement and reference completed on time so you need to work quickly. What grades and subjects did you get. Many universities require Maths A level. Open days are going on present see opendays.com. Once your application is in even if you get rejected you will be able to apply through clearing and if all else fails reapply next year with a less rushed application.
I got BBB in maths biology and physics. And I'm a little unsure about applying before I've even visited the campuses. But thank you for your information!
Original post by swanseajack1
You can apply now if you can get your personal statement and reference completed on time so you need to work quickly. What grades and subjects did you get. Many universities require Maths A level. Open days are going on present see opendays.com. Once your application is in even if you get rejected you will be able to apply through clearing and if all else fails reapply next year with a less rushed application.
Original post by truetomygoals
I got BBB in maths biology and physics. And I'm a little unsure about applying before I've even visited the campuses. But thank you for your information!

You could apply to just one in the hope you get turned down that would give you more time to look into universities through clearing. Have you any sort of idea for example what area you are looking at. Do you want a campus or city university. Big or small city. Northern or southern. Is London an option How close or far from home. All these will help you restrict universities. You could then visit maybe 2 in the next couple of weekends to see what you like.
Ask an example you could attend Swansea or Kent on 15 June and Reading and East Anglia on 22 June.
https://www.opendays.com/calendar
Thanks for your help. The two universities I'm looking at are Swansea and Cardiff which accept BBB for computer science. I don't mind about city or campus. But to be honest I feel it's going to be a big rush for me to try to apply for this year, I don't even know if I'm supposed to apply through my old college or externally.
You could apply to just one in the hope you get turned down that would give you more time to look into universities through clearing. Have you any sort of idea for example what area you are looking at. Do you want a campus or city university. Big or small city. Northern or southern. Is London an option How close or far from home. All these will help you restrict universities. You could then visit maybe 2 in the next couple of weekends to see what you like.
the rush is getting your application in on time ie personal statements and references. Both Swansea and Cardiff I suspect will end up in clearing so that would give you time to go open days for both and decide which to apply to. As long as your application is in by 30 June you can decide later. You can visit both and take your time deciding which to apply to through clearing or you can take your time and apply to up to 5 universities from September. I dont see you have anything to lose applying now because you dont have to go this year you could withdraw or ask for deferment. The only thing you are losing is your ucas fee.

Original post by truetomygoals)
Thanks for your help. The two universities I'm looking at are Swansea and Cardiff which accept BBB for computer science. I don't mind about city or campus. But to be honest I feel it's going to be a big rush for me to try to apply for this year, I don't even know if I'm supposed to apply through my old college or externally.

Hi again!

As we've already had a chat in another thread, I have a good idea where you're at. Assuming you've got a C in GCSE English (or an equivalent), it sounds like you're meeting our academic requirements and should be good to go.

You'd need to apply via UCAS, and can do so independently. With regards to the personal statement, we have some course specific advice you can use for this here. From a personal point of view, my advice would be not to get too worried about this aspect - it's important to write something that portrays yourself well both in terms of your motivations and writing ability, but it should still be considered a supplementary part of information to support your application, rather than the centrepiece. Please don't let it become a source of stress because we just want to hear a little bit about you as a person, beyond your grades.

With regards to references, you could call your college to see if some of your former tutors are happy to be referees for you. You may also consider going back to a GCSE school teacher who taught you for one of your relevant GCSEs (e.g. Maths or ICT), but failing that we would happily take a professional references where academic ones have been impossible to source.

In short, applying now shouldn't be too painful a process and we'd welcome one from you! You can always get in touch with the Admissions Office here directly on 01792 295111 or [email protected] if you want to chat about things, but from what I've gathered so far your situation should be quite simple! And as @swanseajack1 correctly pointed out, you can sit on that offer and choose to defer it to 2020 if you decide you want a bit more time saving money up through your job if that's what you decide to do.

Additional edit: And yes, definitely come along to our 15th June Open Day to help you make your decision if it helps! You can check out the Computational Foundry I told you about before :smile:

Jamie
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
I'd reccomend to wait it out another year, and apply for 2020 entry, as annoying as it may sound. It's great that you've found your interest and passion to study at university, but seeing as you haven't prepared for the application process, it seems that you might rush everything. Writing a personal statement, looking at universities, attending computer science related events and lectures takes time, it isn't realistically possible in a month. University is a big money and time investment, and by working in retail you'll accumulate more money. Obviously you may disagree or others will, but don't rush your decision, attend events, find work experience, etc.
its called clearing. eat your heart out.
I dont you believe you need to take an extra year. As Jamie has said you dont really need an outstanding personal statement for either university for CS unlike say Oxbridge for Law. Just show why you want to study CS and what your interests are and you will be fine. Getting someone to do a reference or you is your biggest issue and you need to contact someone quickly. You should be able to get your application done in a week. Your reference isnt as important as one normally is as you are applying with actual not predicted grades but it does need to show you in a good light and they are not selling you so much. You definitely need to attend both open days. After your second open day you will have over a month to apply as you will be applying through clearing so it will not as rushed as you think. You may decide after attending Swansea's open day this is the university for me.

I dont know where you come from but suspect it is South Wales. You then need to consider whether you are travelling or staying. One of the advantages of Swansea if you are staying is that you are likely to be staying in accommodation on the Bay Campus whereas much of Cardiff's accommodation isnt on Campus.

Finally you have until August to decide as long as your application has been submitted by 30 June. You can decide not to go ahead and apply next year instead but doing this keeps both options open.
Original post by Deggs_14
I'd reccomend to wait it out another year, and apply for 2020 entry, as annoying as it may sound. It's great that you've found your interest and passion to study at university, but seeing as you haven't prepared for the application process, it seems that you might rush everything. Writing a personal statement, looking at universities, attending computer science related events and lectures takes time, it isn't realistically possible in a month. University is a big money and time investment, and by working in retail you'll accumulate more money. Obviously you may disagree or others will, but don't rush your decision, attend events, find work experience, etc.
Thank you very much for all your help! Yes I have a B in GCSE English. I have contacted one of my tutors from college and they are happy to be my referee. I think I'll start my personal statement in the next few days and hopefully have it all sorted in time. Just to check, would applying this year have any impact on my chance to get in next year if I am rejected? And can I apply externally (not through my old college) even though I'm not a mature student?

Sorry I'm not very familiar with the whole process.

Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi again!

As we've already had a chat in another thread, I have a good idea where you're at. Assuming you've got a C in GCSE English (or an equivalent), it sounds like you're meeting our academic requirements and should be good to go.

You'd need to apply via UCAS, and can do so independently. With regards to the personal statement, we have some course specific advice you can use for this here. From a personal point of view, my advice would be not to get too worried about this aspect - it's important to write something that portrays yourself well both in terms of your motivations and writing ability, but it should still be considered a supplementary part of information to support your application, rather than the centrepiece. Please don't let it become a source of stress because we just want to hear a little bit about you as a person, beyond your grades.

With regards to references, you could call your college to see if some of your former tutors are happy to be referees for you. You may also consider going back to a GCSE school teacher who taught you for one of your relevant GCSEs (e.g. Maths or ICT), but failing that we would happily take a professional references where academic ones have been impossible to source.

In short, applying now shouldn't be too painful a process and we'd welcome one from you! You can always get in touch with the Admissions Office here directly on 01792 295111 or [email protected] if you want to chat about things, but from what I've gathered so far your situation should be quite simple! And as @swanseajack1 correctly pointed out, you can sit on that offer and choose to defer it to 2020 if you decide you want a bit more time saving money up through your job if that's what you decide to do.

Additional edit: And yes, definitely come along to our 15th June Open Day to help you make your decision if it helps! You can check out the Computational Foundry I told you about before :smile:

Jamie
Thank you very much for all your help! Yes I have a B in GCSE English. I have contacted one of my tutors from college and they are happy to be my referee. I think I'll start my personal statement in the next few days and hopefully have it all sorted in time. Just to check, would applying this year have any impact on my chance to get in next year if I am rejected? And can I apply externally (not through my old college) even though I'm not a mature student?

If you decide not to go ahead with it for September it wont affect your application for next year.
Thank you!
If you decide not to go ahead with it for September it wont affect your application for next year.

As @swanseajack1 correctly stated, any future applications would be looked at fresh. And yes, you should be able to apply externally. If this gives you any issues though I would recommend getting in touch with UCAS directly to check everything is working correctly.

Best of luck with your application!

Jamie
Okay great. Thanks so much for all your help! :smile:
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
As @swanseajack1 correctly stated, any future applications would be looked at fresh. And yes, you should be able to apply externally. If this gives you any issues though I would recommend getting in touch with UCAS directly to check everything is working correctly.

Best of luck with your application!

Jamie

Yes you can definitely go to Uni. What you need is a plan.
-So you know you want to do CompSci.

-Now find Unis make a list of 5-10 Unis which take BBB some mid-lower end RG Unis should be around that mark (probably Unis that advertise ABB/AAB): Liverpool, Leicester, Newcastle, Loughborough... are what is coming to mind.
-I would ring/email the Unis ask if they will have availability and how suitable you are, prepare a PS for email and ask if they think you're a good fit if you can come have a look round the department in the next few weeks. There is also summer open days available as well.
-Honestly visiting a Uni can only tell you so much and its never the same as actually living on campus and doing the grind tho.

-I suspect a few Unis will already know they'll have clearing availability and would prefer to take on keen applicant they speak to now, then someone who calls up out of desperation on results day.

Its just about going around now visiting a couple Unis and tbh i think it shouldn't be too hard for a Uni to tell you Yes/no well in advance realistic chances of acceptance...
Original post by mnot
Yes you can definitely go to Uni. What you need is a plan.
-So you know you want to do CompSci.

-Now find Unis make a list of 5-10 Unis which take BBB some mid-lower end RG Unis should be around that mark (probably Unis that advertise ABB/AAB): Liverpool, Leicester, Newcastle, Loughborough... are what is coming to mind.
-I would ring/email the Unis ask if they will have availability and how suitable you are, prepare a PS for email and ask if they think you're a good fit if you can come have a look round the department in the next few weeks. There is also summer open days available as well.
-Honestly visiting a Uni can only tell you so much and its never the same as actually living on campus and doing the grind tho.

-I suspect a few Unis will already know they'll have clearing availability and would prefer to take on keen applicant they speak to now, then someone who calls up out of desperation on results day.

Its just about going around now visiting a couple Unis and tbh i think it shouldn't be too hard for a Uni to tell you Yes/no well in advance realistic chances of acceptance...

Thank you for your advice. And are you saying I could get accepted to a uni advertising AAB/ABB with my grades BBB?
Thank you so much for your help!
Thank you for your advice. And are you saying I could get accepted to a uni advertising AAB/ABB with my grades BBB?

Yes unfortunately its now very hard to tell entrance grades, as often Unis grades are not as advertised, the more prestigious Unis grades are accurate, and they are unlikely to let in someone who slips by more than 1 grade.

However the grades at all ex-poly Unis are pure ****, and lots of Unis routinely advertise a couple grades higher than required. If you are looking to get into the 'best' academic/prestige uni possible with your grades, i would recommend looking at RG unis advertising ABB... I suspect most of them who have clearing spots available will take you!

Quick Reply

Latest