The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
Being straight should not be something to be celebrated neither is being gay, IMO. It is should be part of you.

No - being gay is a celebration of living in a democratic country. I am not gay but I would defend anyone to the death for being gay.
Original post by Ciel.
No, usually we are just called disgusting freaks and ******s who should die and go to hell. And anyway, it's because straight people never had to face discrimination purely because of their sexuality.

Isn't it discrimination to say that straight cannot celebrate being straight but gay people can?
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No - being gay is a celebration of living in a democratic country. I am not gay but I would defend anyone to the death for being gay.

Nobody is arguing against the celebration of gay pride. Straight people feel discriminated against and want to have their own celebrations but some are being called homophobic for even suggesting it.
Neither have most gay people today
I think you misunderstand what pride is about, it’s about celebrating being brave enough to be yourself in a world that can sometimes be very hostile to you because your sexuality.

Legally the UK is very good, but there is still a lot of homophobia about. Respectfully, unless you are a LGBT person, you can’t really comment about it as you are not in a position of ever having to experience it
I agree with you. It is disgusting how homosexuals get treated. I think homophobes should be jailed for such disgusting acts.

However, the UK is way better than many countries prob 98% of the world.
Nobody is arguing against the celebration of gay pride. Straight people feel discriminated against and want to have their own celebrations but some are being called homophobic for even suggesting it.

If you are in the majority, you can hardly be discriminated against. Gay pride is not aggressive - it is a wonderful eccentric parade
Neither have most gay people in developed countries today
Original post by forgotten_one
No, it is not. Straight people never had to deal with the death penalty for their sexuality.
If you are in the majority, you can hardly be discriminated against. Gay pride is not aggressive - it is a wonderful eccentric parade

That is fair, so why shouldn't straight people have their own?
That is fair, so why shouldn't straight people have their own?

Because you don't need it - what are straight people going to do - march down Guildford high street in their Next Shoes and their Primark shorts saying glad to be straight.
Pride began as a protest, demanding basic human rights. It still is to an extent, because in many places, it's still illegal to adopt, get married, show gay PDA or even just exist without going to jail, or being put to death. The fight is not over. Gay people weren't allowed to marry within my lifetime. Gay people weren't allowed to show PDA within my lifetime. Gay people weren't allowed to adopt within my lifetime. LGBT rights are a recent occurrence. pride celebrates this progress. Yes, it's partially about being proud of being LGBT, but that's because we were told for so long that our identities are not normal, and that we should be ashamed.
Because you don't need it - what are straight people going to do - march down Guildford high street in their Next Shoes and their Primark shorts saying glad to be straight.

What are gay people going to do? March around brighton in their lack of clothes and fetish gear saying glad to be gay?
"I dont like pride"

"if you dont like it dont go to it and you can have your own straight parade"

"Ok then"

"a..aaactually it suuper problematic because *Pulls nonsense out of their arse*"
Original post by AperfectBalance
What are gay people going to do? March around brighton in their lack of clothes and fetish gear saying glad to be gay?

Yep - and it is fun - my son - who is as straight as a ruler - went to gay pride in Guatemala - love the photos - fetish, bottoms, bondage. It is a celebration of gayness. I think what you are getting at is why would anyone want to be gay. And the answer is I don't know but I would bet my last pound on the fact that they don't choose it.... so let them celebrate
Reply 53
Isn't it discrimination to say that straight cannot celebrate being straight but gay people can?

Nobody is saying that straight people can't celebrate being straight/have their own parade. We are just laughing at the idea of it.
A lot of people disagree with this because lots of younger kids go to pride. I've not seen it at pride in a while, probably due to complaints.
Yep - and it is fun - my son - who is as straight as a ruler - went to gay pride in Guatemala - love the photos - fetish, bottoms, bondage. It is a celebration of gayness. I think what you are getting at is why would anyone want to be gay. And the answer is I don't know but I would bet my last pound on the fact that they don't choose it.... so let them celebrate

That isnt gay pride, that is fetish pride and that should not be accepted, keep all that odd sexual stuff at home no matter if you are straight or gay. All that really does is make gay people look like sexual deviants.
That isnt gay pride, that is fetish pride and that should not be accepted, keep all that odd sexual stuff at home no matter if you are straight or gay. All that really does is make gay people look like sexual deviants.

Believe me straight people can look like sexual deviants too. I think you need to observe a gay pride March and see the happiness
Believe me straight people can look like sexual deviants too. I think you need to observe a gay pride March and see the happiness

Yes and it is not acceptable for sexual deviants to be parading around in public.

Latest

Trending

Trending