The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How is straightness celebrated everyday? Do heterosexuals get pats on the back for being straight? Of course not. I think you are reaching with this one.

Yes, it is sad that homophobia still exists. Things are improving now.
your immutable characteristics aren't virtues
''Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance.'' A definition of pride from wikipedia. It is a protest as well as a celebration, and even the celebration isn't just 'oh look I'm gay and better than you' it's 'I'm gay and am actually able to express that now with less chance of being beaten up or killed'. Straight people don't receive any kind of discrimination, and they never have. There's nothing to celebrate or protest against.
Original post by Wired_1800
This is wrong. Gay people celebrate the homosexuality and who they are as individuals. Straight people should be allowed to do so. I am not against gay pride, but i am in favour of a straight Pride.
Original post by remussjhj01
''Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance.'' A definition of pride from wikipedia. It is a protest as well as a celebration, and even the celebration isn't just 'oh look I'm gay and better than you' it's 'I'm gay and am actually able to express that now with less chance of being beaten up or killed'. Straight people don't receive any kind of discrimination, and they never have. There's nothing to celebrate or protest against.

I don't agree. We don't know all straight people. Some may feel discriminated.
Reply 84

You probably don't have any friends, do you?
No, but you don’t get your mother freaking out and threatening to kick you out of the house for coming out as lesbian either do you?

Think of the all the children’s movies you watched growing up, every book you read, all the movies you watch now, adverts, the celebration of heterosexuality is everywhere. 99% of media that involves a romantic plot line or subtext is heterosexual in nature. You don’t even see gay superhero movies. There are no gay Disney movies. You don’t see it because you are used to it.
How is straightness celebrated everyday? Do heterosexuals get pats in the back for being straight? Of course not. I think you are reaching with this one.

Straight people are not discriminated against for being straight. That is a fact. You are allowed to marry, exist, adopt children and be openly in love with your partner in every country in the world. You will never be kicked out your house for being straight, you will never lose friends for being straight, you will never be denied jobs or housing for being straight, you will never be beaten up for being straight. Straight people are not discriminated against for being straight, LGBT people are every day.
This is changing though. There are more shows with homosexuals now or homosexuality story lines. The whole landscape is changing rapidly that all that is no longer an issue. You keep pushing things from the past or even distant past. In 2019, homosexuals in the UK are better off than at any point in the past.

Not all mothers freak out about their daughter being Lesbian. I’m sorry that your mother probably freaked out about you sexuality, but I think this attitude is changing or even changed now.
Original post by Ciel.
You probably don't have any friends, do you?

Gay friends? I have a few. Why?
Original post by Jacobknowles99
Neither have most gay people today

Gay rights isn't really a thing of the past.It was only in 2000/ 2003 that section 28 was reversed.Thats not exactly ancient history.Its one generation removed.
Reply 90
This is changing though. There are more shows with homosexuals now or homosexuality story lines. The whole landscape is changing rapidly that all that is no longer an issue. You keep pushing things from the past or even distant past. In 2019, homosexuals in the UK are better off than at any point in the past.

Not all mothers freak out about their daughter being Lesbian. I’m sorry that your mother probably freaked out about you sexuality, but I think this attitude is changing or even changed now.

Sure, things are better than they used to be. But they are far, far from perfect. We still get discriminated against. We still get plenty of abuse. Like, a week ago my boyfriend and I got banned from his favourite restaurant thanks to some homophobic trash.
Gay friends? I have a few. Why?

Doesn't matter...
You don’t understand what I’m saying at all, do you? Just because we are equal legally does not mean we are equal socially. Gay men have some of the worst rates of depression and suicide out there, even exceeding straight men. LGB people have significantly higher rates of poor mental health, suicidal ideation and other negative hallmarks. That’s not even getting into what Trans people go through. Gay people in the UK still get physical and verbal abuse for their sexuality in the UK, in 2019. Repeating “gays have it better than ever before” means nothing when you can get beaten up for your sexuality in 2019 in Britain. What part of this are you having difficulty understanding.

If straight people actually suffered because of their sexuality then it would be equal to have a straight pride parade. But it is the status quo to be heterosexual, so having a straight pride parade is ridiculous at best

I simply don't see the point, but if they really want one then sure go ahead
Original post by Ciel.
Sure, things are better than they used to be. But they are far, far from perfect. We still get discriminated against. We still get plenty of abuse. Like, a week ago my boyfriend and I got banned from his favourite restaurant thanks to some homophobic trash.

Doesn't matter...

Of course. Things are improving. It wont be 100% overnight.
They are not 'celebrations of being straight' they are simply characters doing what a large majority of people do, engage in heterosexual relationships, I dont see anyone going OMG LOOK HES STRAIGHT WOW, because they simply dont care and nor should you.
You are refusing to understand my point. Yes, gay people have it horrible. I agree. However, they are still better off in the UK than in many countries. Homosexuals are being hanged in many countries.

Social acceptance is improving, like I have written. It wont happen overnight, but it is happening. Things are changing.

I dont think having a heterosexual parade is ridiculous. It is celebrating what it means be straight. It is not anti-gay parade but a pro-straight celebration.
How is straightness celebrated everyday? Do heterosexuals get pats on the back for being straight? Of course not. I think you are reaching with this one.

You don't need a pat on the back.Its just assumed that being straight is the superior position.Being gay is implicitly seen as being inferior.Only the other day a prominent politician suggested we might one day be cured by science.The suggestion is implicit.That being gay is wrong.
Original post by James2312
You don't need a pat on the back.Its just assumed that being straight is the superior position.Being gay is implicitly seen as being inferior.Only the other day a prominent politician suggested we might one day be cured by science.The suggestion is implicit.That being gay is wrong.

Ann Widdecombe is known for her notoriously conservative views. Her views don't count. Sky News got blasted because they tried to use her to push an agenda.
Okay, it isn’t overtly celebrated, but it’s expected, it’s the status quo. Heterosexuality is shoved down our throats from when we are infants in the form of Disney princess movies and never stops from there. It permeates every area of modern society, all forms of mass media. Everything that is not heterosexual is deviant and abnormal
Original post by AperfectBalance
They are not 'celebrations of being straight' they are simply characters doing what a large majority of people do, engage in heterosexual relationships, I dont see anyone going OMG LOOK HES STRAIGHT WOW, because they simply dont care and nor should you.
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
no

one

****ing

gives

a

if

you’re

straight

And why should anyone care that someone is not straight? I honestly don't see the need to flaunt one's sexuality at all, whatever it might be.

Latest

Trending

Trending