The Student Room Group

Short Films

Anyone have any advice/want to collaborate on a short film or play? Would like to know some tips and tricks for making something really good and special :smile:)
Original post by jesss221
i’m an actress but i also want to create, so let me know if you’d like to collaborate or you have any stuff you can tell me that you think would be useful! thanks :smile:)

Anyone have any advice/want to collaborate on a short film or play? Would like to know some tips and tricks for making something really good and special :smile:)

Hey 👋🏻, I’m currently writing short films for fun and plan on making an extremely low budget short film this year. Although I may not have much practical experience yet, I’d say a massive thing to remember is to NOT make a film for vanity, meaning don’t just make a film to say I made a film, make sure there’s meaning behind it , maybe a message u want people to here, or a lesson you think needs to be taught, express that through the art of film and script writing.

That may sound like a stupid comment with little advice but when your in the gruling editing process you’ll have a reason to keep going.

I’d highly recommend a YouTube vid by “austinmcconnell” called I made a movie. It stunk “. He kinda covers key points beginers like us should take into account.

Other then that just have fun with it man, its your project , make it how you want it, try get it into film festivals if you think you’ve made something good ( if you can’t get in, dw there a ***** to get accepted in sometimes , it’s not always a reflection on your work ).

I hope it goes well , don’t give up, motivation is key 😁
Original post by EC_Hayes1
Hey 👋🏻, I’m currently writing short films for fun and plan on making an extremely low budget short film this year. Although I may not have much practical experience yet, I’d say a massive thing to remember is to NOT make a film for vanity, meaning don’t just make a film to say I made a film, make sure there’s meaning behind it , maybe a message u want people to here, or a lesson you think needs to be taught, express that through the art of film and script writing.

That may sound like a stupid comment with little advice but when your in the gruling editing process you’ll have a reason to keep going.

I’d highly recommend a YouTube vid by “austinmcconnell” called I made a movie. It stunk “. He kinda covers key points beginers like us should take into account.

Other then that just have fun with it man, its your project , make it how you want it, try get it into film festivals if you think you’ve made something good ( if you can’t get in, dw there a ***** to get accepted in sometimes , it’s not always a reflection on your work ).

I hope it goes well , don’t give up, motivation is key 😁

Also , I bit of extra advice , grab a note book , take it with u where ever u can , write down anything that comes to mind , even if it seems irrelevant and stupid.
I have lists of one line ideas on all sorts of things , from character types , locations , specific scenes that I think of , even if its completely irrelevant to your film , you may use it later on. It’s also handy when your stuck for ideas to refer back to.

Also I’d highly suggest if you have no ideas, listen to some obscure music, sometimes listening to music forces me to imagine scenes playing out in my head which leads to entire narratives being formed.
Thank you SOOO much, this really helped damnnn. I never thought of the music thing and i completely get you about the whole vanity thing. I do want to portray a message about unrealistic beauty standards, self love, stuff like that? i actually wrote something about this girl and how to love her, sounds kinda cheesy but i feel like with some music behind it, it could be really good. The only thing is, i’m not entirely sure how to produce it haha, so I’m going to have to research!!

Btw if you need a helping hand on set or extra actress or anything in your short film this year, i’d be happy to help! I’m trying to surround myself with it a bit more as I’ve only been in one :smile:

I’ll also watch that video on YT cause it looks like it’ll rlly help so thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks man, i appreciate it :smile:

Your welcome man 😊, nah that’s sounds like a really good idea. And tbh Im also a bit clueless on the producing side of it , but ( as tedious as it is ) if u story board your shots, at least whilst your learning, then that will help with getting a base understanding of how u want it to look, and if you don’t have access to a decent camera,lightning equipment or editing software, just use what you have , which is most likely a phone. I know it sounds like that will make it crap but there are some amazing films done on phones, and you can get cheep film editing apps on your phones App Store. And for lighting and sound , on Amazon they sell some decent kits that come with microphones , lights and phone stabilisers which all plug into your phone. Some out kinda expensive ( like £80) but it’s up to you have much you want to invest in it 😊

Thanks for the offer, that’s really nice of you. I am going to be looking for an actor/actress within the next few months, where abouts are you ? Cuz likely going to be filming in Uxbridge and Maidenhead 😊
Reply 4
Yeah , l’m aslo interested but l have need someone to partner with , especially sharing stories
Original post by Valpro
Yeah , l’m aslo interested but l have need someone to partner with , especially sharing stories

This thread is three years old and OP doesn’t use TSR anymore 💀

Quick Reply