The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 and 2 - 4th/7th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Hello,

I am in Year 11 and about to do my GCSEs in eight weeks' time. If anyone here teaches English Language GCSE AQA, please could you give me some sentence starters for paper 1 questions 3 and 4 and paper 2 questions 2 and 4? Hopefully, this will make my grade go from a 4 to a 5, which I really want!

If there are also any tips that you could give me to help me get some more marks in exam questions, that too would be great! Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

I'll just give a tip which helped me out. A week or two before our exams we had a substitute teacher and she made a very good point that changed how i wrote my exam. In essence what she said got me to write the second half of the paper first, as in the creative writing bit. It's worth the same amount of marks as all of section A but its easier to pick them up (at least for me). This meant I had more time to focus on that part of it. Also for the creative writing I already had my story planned, and any plan can be put into basically nay prompt given.
Once that bit was done i went through section A. I didn't have time to thoroughly do that but i got at least two or three paragraphs on each question to rack up points through all of them.
With this i got a 7 in the papers.
This doesn't work for everyone but its what worked for me.
What was the name of Source A for AQA English Language Paper 1, 4 June 2019?
don't know, all i rmember was that the father abandoned his daughter, so she'd pick flowers up off of the road lmao
Original post by vestigalrex510
What was the name of Source A for AQA English Language Paper 1, 4 June 2019?
It's called The Mill by H.E. Bates, where Alice is given away to work on a mill for the Holland's, and there she is mentally and sexually abused by some guy called Frank Holland or something I don't know. And he got her pregnant, but she didn't even know he raped her. FOR GOODNESS SAKE SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS. Just that 'it hurt'. And she didn't know she was pregnant, she didn't understand it. Actually no. No one explained it to her. AQA VAT IS U DOIN TO UZ?!?!?
Original post by Ashleigh Stock
don't know, all i rmember was that the father abandoned his daughter, so she'd pick flowers up off of the road lmao
Reply 5
can anybody help me to answer paper 2 q2.
Reply 6
I probably will get low marks for this but asses it anyway.

Blackpool and Verona are vastly different place with Different activities. Blackpool has a roller-coaster and a theme park. "it has the largest concentration of roller-coaster in Europe". Blackpool is the type of place where it has amazing attractions for family and for pleasure.

Verona is a very cultural and historical,classic place. " beautiful old places, ballasted galleries". It creates a different atmosphere than Blackpool, This place is for people who want to experience old cultures and history in the early days.
Reply 7
Here's the paper that i'm practicing for AQA English language paper 2
Reply 8
Here is my answer model for Q3 mark it out of 12 marks. How does Dickens use language to describe his impressions of the Roman Amphitheater?

Dickens presents his impressions of the Roman Amphitheater as very violent and gruesome. "fierce thousands hurry in and out intent the bloody shows of the arena". Dickens has used an adjective "fierce" which suggest that the arena in the past was used to be a battlefield to fight aggressively to entertain a lot of people.

Furthermore Dickens has used another adjective "bloody" which implies that the arena was very gory and shows that these fighter's are very gruesome and bloodthirsty. This give an impression that these fighters were brutally murdered and killed.

Finally Dickens now focuses and describes the seat of the arena. Dickens uses a noun phase "lovely panorama" which implies that sitting on top of the seats was a beautiful and grand view of the arena. This gives an impression that it was a clear view to watch the gruesome arena fight. As a reader this makes me disgusted because these people enjoy people in the arena brutality getting hurt or injured or even getting murdered.
Reply 9
this forum is for revision purposes only and discussion about English Language aqa paper 2 only.
This is my model answer for paper 2 question 5

write a speech to deliver in a school assembly about the importance of a healthy diet.

Most people would agree that treats and surgery foods are very delightful and yummy snacks. However snacks and treats for the body isn't healthy for very young people who are developing and growing.

A sensible idea would be having a balanced diet. For example maybe have some fruits and vegetables or sometimes have some proteins along side with it. Fruits and vegetables are very good for low calories and proteins like pasta or meat is good for building up your muscle in your body. And you could also snack and treat a little bit.

Some may argue that they already are eating healthy by saying that they have low sugar. But it doesn't help the fact that they have other unknown chemicals in the food and processed,which is unhealthy for your body.

If we can't take care of our bodies properly then way may live a short life span? It could also lead to bad and contentious disease like diabetes,heart disease or liver disease. If we are overweight we can't move our bodies anymore and our bodies would be like as heavy as if we are chained up with an elephant.

I understand that these treats and snacks does boost our energy,but you also should do some exercise as well to burn them off along size eating a healthy diet. A study has shown that havering a balanced diet and exercising will live more healthy and last a longer life.

Overall we should have some treats and snacks, however we must ensure that we should also look after our bodies.
help anyone :/ ive got english language paper two tomorrow and i've spent all my time revising for the paper one that is now over. i need to quickly get some effective revision done as i have biology to revise for too.any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks
I'm not sure what to include basically, I want to do the writer's methods separate, obviously using a comparative phrase on the second paragraph but...idk if I'm going to be adding too much or too little.

I want to do it like this, e.g.:

Mayhew believes cats are sad through "kitten mews". The galvanising verb "mews" suggests helplessness. Alternatively it could show that they are soft. To intensify this idea, Mayhew believes the cats need protection through "kitten's little paws", where the effective adj. "little" suggests being tiny. The combination of "mews" and "little" show Mayhew's belief in the kittens.

Ok, so is it necessary to combine quotes for effect or even add an extra quote in the paragraph or is one quote enough and then I should move on to the comparison paragraph??
(edited 4 years ago)
I know they can ask you to write letters and broadsheet newspapers but I’m not sure what else?

Please help, thank you!
Does anybody have any techniques they used for this questions to achieve high marks? Any advice and tips would also be very much appreciated.
Speeches
Reply 16
leaflets i think
How are you guys feeling for tomorrow I've merged a few threads together as you are talking about the same exam :smile:
Just wanted to tag you guys in here so you know where our discussion is for the big exam tomorrow! Hit up any last minute questions or anything and make sure you remember to come back and talk about how it went :smile:

Let me know if I can help with anything, and good luck tomorrow.

You've got this!

AQA English Lang

Original post by Evil Homer
Just wanted to tag you guys in here so you know where our discussion is for the big exam tomorrow! Hit up any last minute questions or anything and make sure you remember to come back and talk about how it went :smile:

Let me know if I can help with anything, and good luck tomorrow.

You've got this!

AQA English Lang

You're a legend EH :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending