The Student Room Group

Would my university allow the formation of a recreational drugs society?

Disclaimer: It would be NOT a society about taking drugs, it would be about educating people on how to take drugs responsibly and how to avoid fatal mistakes with them. Sorry about the slightly confusing title

Let's put this straight: yes, I am in favour of legalising all drugs, I believe that, for the great majority of them, there is a way to consume them safely and responsibly. But, obviously, this society wouldn't be about consuming drugs, you don't need a society to smoke some joints with buddies. No, it would have a very important function in society, it could save lives. During my first year at a well known university in London, I realised that most of my peers have tremendously wrong misconceptions about drugs: due to the fact that drugs are a very taboo topic, many of them have received little to no education on the subject, something that can be fatal for those who feel the natural curiosity of experiencing an alterated state of mind. How many believe that taking coke and alcohol is perfectly fine, when it is extremely toxic to the body? How many risk their lives taking a tab of LSD, which could actually contain any other kind of similar in effect but very potentially fatal, such as 25cNBOme, just because they don't know that many LSD testing reagents exist and are perfectly legal and easily accessible? How many believe that taking MDMA once a week will not have any effect on their body in the long run? And the list goes on

The goal of my society would be to end with this taboo around drugs, and educate new, inexperienced users into the practice of safe, responsible drug use, to teach them which drugs and combinations of drugs are particularly dangerous, what are the long term effects of taking them regular, how to easily test many drugs, and explaining them that venturing into this world it is easy to end up in very horrible situations, but, with knowledge on the substance and your limits, you can become a happy, sporadic, unharmed drug user

But the thing is, would I be allowed to do this? Would my university understand the purpouse of my society, which is not to ruin people with drugs but to save them from bad usage of drugs, or would they think I am " an idiot who is trying to form a crack den in our university"? Most of all, If I were allowed to do this, would my society be watched at all times despite everything happening in it being perfectly legal, would I be guaranteed that every member would not feel at risk of being expelled inside it?
Original post by Anonymous
Disclaimer: It would be NOT a society about taking drugs, it would be about educating people on how to take drugs responsibly and how to avoid fatal mistakes with them. Sorry about the slightly confusing title

Let's put this straight: yes, I am in favour of legalising all drugs, I believe that, for the great majority of them, there is a way to consume them safely and responsibly. But, obviously, this society wouldn't be about consuming drugs, you don't need a society to smoke some joints with buddies. No, it would have a very important function in society, it could save lives. During my first year at a well known university in London, I realised that most of my peers have tremendously wrong misconceptions about drugs: due to the fact that drugs are a very taboo topic, many of them have received little to no education on the subject, something that can be fatal for those who feel the natural curiosity of experiencing an alterated state of mind. How many believe that taking coke and alcohol is perfectly fine, when it is extremely toxic to the body? How many risk their lives taking a tab of LSD, which could actually contain any other kind of similar in effect but very potentially fatal, such as 25cNBOme, just because they don't know that many LSD testing reagents exist and are perfectly legal and easily accessible? How many believe that taking MDMA once a week will not have any effect on their body in the long run? And the list goes on

The goal of my society would be to end with this taboo around drugs, and educate new, inexperienced users into the practice of safe, responsible drug use, to teach them which drugs and combinations of drugs are particularly dangerous, what are the long term effects of taking them regular, how to easily test many drugs, and explaining them that venturing into this world it is easy to end up in very horrible situations, but, with knowledge on the substance and your limits, you can become a happy, sporadic, unharmed drug user

But the thing is, would I be allowed to do this? Would my university understand the purpouse of my society, which is not to ruin people with drugs but to save them from bad usage of drugs, or would they think I am " an idiot who is trying to form a crack den in our university"? Most of all, If I were allowed to do this, would my society be watched at all times despite everything happening in it being perfectly legal, would I be guaranteed that every member would not feel at risk of being expelled inside it?

Is it legal to take recreational drugs?
Do you think your uni would mind?
You are asking for finance to help promote one aspect of it?
Have you thought this through?
No
Original post by Anonymous

Is this real?

Of course your uni will not allow this to happen. You're more or less promoting a safe and responsible way of doing something illegal. To me, promoting illegal activities or encouraging people to say "oh it's illegal but as long as it's safe, I should still do it" is unfathomable.

Don't be so silly.
(edited 4 years ago)
usually these sorts of groups aren't official within the uni, you'll just get a group of people after a few months who meet up and do keys of ket and tabs of acid in the local park.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Is this real?

Of course your uni will not allow this to happen. You're more or less promoting a safe and responsible way of doing something illegal. To me, promoting illegal activities or encouraging people to say "oh it's illegal but as long as it's safe, I should still do it" is unfathomable.

Don't be so silly.

No need for the nastiness.

A number of universitys have started to offer drug testing kits so there is a chance their uni could allow this, there's nothing illegal about giving truthful information about drug use thankfully.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'd actually kind of be in favour of the creation of a club that helped people manage their addictions safely, as long as it also advocated the message that beginning to take addictive drugs is a terrible idea.

I don't think any university would allow the formation of such a club, because it would be terrifically bad press for the university.
The uni would want to get that message out but they wouldn't do it via a society of drug takers. Thryll have staff at the SU responsible for it.
Since societies are normally affiliated to the Students Union the university itself likely won't have much of a say. At Keele there are plenty of societies which are for campaigning on particular issues, including controversial ones. If you wanted to frame your proposal to suggest that your society will be one for campaigning for a change in the law on this issue, and that this is not to encourage breaking the law you wish to change, that might serve you better. You also might need to get other people who are willing to set this up to you to be a secretary, president or treasurer. Without these roles the union may not allow you to form.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'd actually kind of be in favour of the creation of a club that helped people manage their addictions safely, as long as it also advocated the message that beginning to take addictive drugs is a terrible idea.

I don't think any university would allow the formation of such a club, because it would be terrifically bad press for the university.

Uni do offer services for such like Student Services or Well-Being services that provide a safe, legal and professional service to students who are struggling with drug-related addiction and/or issues.

Even if there was such a club, no university would consent to this without professional guidance/overview. It's simply a matter of health and safety.

I do see what you're saying as many NHS clinics offer support and help to serious drug addicts such as advising the "best practice" to take illegal drugs. Which is an obvious duty of care. But I really don't see any universities ever allowing such a club to pass.
I wasn't being nasty. Harsh yes. Nasty, no.

No, there's nothing illegal about it. But it's as good as. No uni institution would authorise such a thing where a student wishes to promote the safe way to take illegal drugs. Could you imagine the uproar and media frenzy with would cause? Unis don't promote drug use - part of their job is to limit drug use and promote how unsafe it is, not to promote a vision of "illegal drug taking is very bad; even deadly. But as long as you practice it correctly and safely, it's fine by our standards."

Only drug addicts would support such a thing.
Original post by the beer
No need for the nastiness.

A number of universitys have started to offer drug testing kits so there is a chance their uni could allow this, there's nothing illegal about giving truthful information about drug use thankfully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending