The Student Room Group

Primary Education but I’m Shy!!!?!?!?

Hi just wondering what people’s opinions are on this

So basically, I would love to go into primary teaching, BUT I’m quite a shy and introverted person, and I always found doing presentations and stuff at school pretty challenging so I just don’t know if I have what it takes!!
If you can't publicly speak at the moment, that's not a reason to write off teaching. Get some experience in front of small groups, then look at cover supervision (you can attain this work through agencies and all you need is a bachelors degree). I had done a little bit of public speaking before I started my PGCE but still found the initial period nerve-wracking (that's normal, and a slightly good thing!).

Keep your interest but perhaps try and find out through school experience, how you feel in front of students.
Maybe start with volunteering at something like Guides or Scouts or any local youth group near you? It'll help to build up your confidence
I am in the same boat!! I think you should maybe try and get some work experience (for example in a nursery) so you can start small and then try and build up your confidence.
I started my QTS degree two years ago. Prior to that I was extremely socially anxious Iand introverted- spent about four years of my upper primary/lower secondary education not speaking (selective mute as a result of anxiety). Even now I don't say anything in lectures unless I'm 100% comfortable to do so. I couldn't walk into a room first without having a panic attack. But, with the kids I'm totally different. You are (generally- certainly on my course but not sure about PGCE) given an observation week when you join your first class of students, so you can get to know them, their personalities etc so that when you stand at the front, you don't choose a child who hates speaking etc. This was so beneficial for me, I felt much happier and you learn the routines of the class and what works with this group of children before you teach them. With my course too, everything is phased where necessary, they won't just say "teach all day today". You start by doing a short activity, then a main activity, then the entire lesson, and possibly a morning/day by the end.

I never thought I'd go to uni, move away for uni, stand at the front of a class etc. But, I do. I started tutoring in my "spare time" (it wasn't spare, there's no such thing on this course for half the year) and tutored abroad this summer which helped loads.

As the others have said, absolutely get some experience in a classroom and just notice whether you are comfortable. It's invaluable in the long term.

It also depends if you're thinking primary/secondary. Primary is much more hands on a lot of the time so it's unlikely you will stand at the front and give presentations quite so much (in my experience at least).

Let me know if I can help any further!
Original post by Mollyr.baker
Hi just wondering what people’s opinions are on this

So basically, I would love to go into primary teaching, BUT I’m quite a shy and introverted person, and I always found doing presentations and stuff at school pretty challenging so I just don’t know if I have what it takes!!

Hey,

I am in the exact same position as you. I would love to go into primary teaching for like reception classes but i am so shy and have always hated standing in front of a class to do a presentation.

My advice would be, get some work experience/volunteering. For example, I am currently volunteering at my local primary school one afternoon per week as part of my school programme. If you did something like this you would feel much more confident and realise that its not actually that difficult to stand in front of a primary class as they are much younger and look up to you rather than you feeling like you are being judged by them. Also, please dont write the idea off. Keep going at it and you will feel more confident. There are not enough good teachers out there so its a great oppertunity to persue your dreams.

I hope this helped a little bit and good luck with your future. Let me know how it goes!

Charlotte x
Hi,

I'm naturally introverted and a lack of confidence held me back a lot in my early/mid-twenties. It's something I've been really working on over the last year or 2 and other than the general things such as gaining work experience, by far the best thing has been joining my local theatre group.

You're constantly thrown out of your comfort zone and challenged to do things which is great for confidence building. Not only this but I learned a lot of techniques such as "grounding" and controlling your nerves, breathing and projection, which are all helpful for public speaking.

When I first graduated, I couldn't consider teaching as a career as the idea of standing in front of 30 kids genuinely terrified me...but now I've worked on my confidence I'm going for it and applying for 2020 entry.

So step out of your comfort zone, join a local group, volunteer, gain experience within a school and then, when you feel ready...go for it!

Best of luck! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending