The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 and 2 - 4th/7th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mythology
I know they can ask you to write letters and broadsheet newspapers but I’m not sure what else?

Please help, thank you!

Letter
Article
Leaflet
Speech
Essay

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-87002-FI-W.PDF
Embed the quotes because it shows you have knowledge of the text. Try see what you can infer from both texts to get the highest marks and compare them with each other on how they differ or are similar.
Original post by slideshow2377
I probably will get low marks for this but asses it anyway.

Blackpool and Verona are vastly different place with Different activities. Blackpool has a roller-coaster and a theme park. "it has the largest concentration of roller-coaster in Europe". Blackpool is the type of place where it has amazing attractions for family and for pleasure.

Verona is a very cultural and historical,classic place. " beautiful old places, ballasted galleries". It creates a different atmosphere than Blackpool, This place is for people who want to experience old cultures and history in the early days.
thanks for the feedback I will use this advice for the exams. :smile:
Original post by Arman132
Embed the quotes because it shows you have knowledge of the text. Try see what you can infer from both texts to get the highest marks and compare them with each other on how they differ or are similar.
here is another paper 2 exam practice we could practice on I hope it is useful.
Reply 24
I don't know what you've been taught, but the main advice we've gotten from our English teacher (we've literally spent forever on language) is:
Q1 - pretty self explanatory, just read the text and lines to use carefully
Q2 - use a SQI structure for answering (i.e. make sure you INFER from the text as to what they intend, but you don't need to explain so much - just use phrases like I can infer... or this insinuates... etc)
Q3 - this is language, so make sure you include methods and zoom in to their effect using layers of analysis (even if it's just one word from one quote, you can still say a lot about it)
Q4 - we've been taught a PEECPEE structure (point, evidence, explain, compare, point, evidence, explain) for each source. You just need to think about the ATTITUDES and intentions of the authors
Q5 - idk, there's a lot to think about but mainly - PLAN (this is important, it makes your piece more coherent and impactful) and think about your audience (this is particularly key for a speech)
Sorry for waffling, but this is the key stuff that we've been told to remember, and sorry if you know this already :smile:

Original post by Matthew Griffy
Does anybody have any techniques they used for this questions to achieve high marks? Any advice and tips would also be very much appreciated.
on question 5 you should use persuaders
pronouns
rhetorical questions
statistics (facts)
use of flattery
alterations or anecdotes
dramatic language (simile or metaphors)
exaggeration (hyperbole)
repetition
sentence verity

we these should help to get a higher mark.

Original post by redmeek
I don't know what you've been taught, but the main advice we've gotten from our English teacher (we've literally spent forever on language) is:
Q1 - pretty self explanatory, just read the text and lines to use carefully
Q2 - use a SQI structure for answering (i.e. make sure you INFER from the text as to what they intend, but you don't need to explain so much - just use phrases like I can infer... or this insinuates... etc)
Q3 - this is language, so make sure you include methods and zoom in to their effect using layers of analysis (even if it's just one word from one quote, you can still say a lot about it)
Q4 - we've been taught a PEECPEE structure (point, evidence, explain, compare, point, evidence, explain) for each source. You just need to think about the ATTITUDES and intentions of the authors
Q5 - idk, there's a lot to think about but mainly - PLAN (this is important, it makes your piece more coherent and impactful) and think about your audience (this is particularly key for a speech)
Sorry for waffling, but this is the key stuff that we've been told to remember, and sorry if you know this already :smile:
guys i have a strong feeling that q5 this year is gonna be a leaflet cos AQA hates us
Don't jinx it.
Original post by 14lahmeddd
guys i have a strong feeling that q5 this year is gonna be a leaflet cos AQA hates us
Original post by 14lahmeddd

Please don’t say that 😂😫
If it's a leaflet, for example to explain, will they give us a topic? Because I saw one mock paper and it just said "write a leaflet to explain" I was like explain what?!
If that happens tomorrow I’m screwed! Surely they’ve got to give you the topic?!
Original post by TheRevisionPig
If it's a leaflet, for example to explain, will they give us a topic? Because I saw one mock paper and it just said "write a leaflet to explain" I was like explain what?!
what is worse than a leaflet is writing a report.

YOU ARE A LIFESAVER
THANK YOU
I hope they don’t ask us to write a leaflet...
I’m hoping to write a speech ....
Original post by Loulour
If that happens tomorrow I’m screwed! Surely they’ve got to give you the topic?!

I've just googled it - check out madameanglaise.wordpress.com a quick, handy guide for leaflets!
Yes they must give you a topic mustn't they! Must've been a typo!!
A report? Could that come up??
Original post by slideshow2377
what is worse than a leaflet is writing a report.
it was okay I guess
but man aqa was such a savage
Guys what order do you recommend I do the questions?
You may also get a blog which is very similar to an article.
Original post by iqra iqbal
help anyone :/ ive got english language paper two tomorrow and i've spent all my time revising for the paper one that is now over. i need to quickly get some effective revision done as i have biology to revise for too.any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks

Question 1 is easy. To do question two, you make a statement about one source, then add evidence. Repeat for the other source. Then make inferences comparing them.

Question 3 is Paper 1 question 2, just more marks.

Question 4: quick introduction comparing viewpoints, then identify a viewpoint and find evidence, identify the method used and explain how it shows the viewpoint, zoom on keywords if appropriate. Then write a comparative statement for the other source, and repeat. Remember to use comparative language e.g. in comparison, in contrast, unlike, likewise, both writers...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending