The Student Room Group

Love comes when you are not looking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
That's awesome, well done you :smile: If you don't mind me asking how did you ask him out? Especially in a work setting where there are lots of other people about and a formal environment? There is someone I really like.. I know he is physically attracted to me but like I said he never asked me out so I assume he's not that into me :frown:

Well firstly I did some digging with his colleagues - asked them what his name was and if he was single. Then I just went up to him, asked if he was single (obvs I knew the answer) and asked if I could have his number. He wrote it down for me and off I went. Texted him the next day and we went on a date that evening. :h:
It came to me when I wasn’t looking for it tbh. But it’s one of the best things that has happened to me and I wouldn’t change it for anything. Not being prepared for a relationship back then kinda made things difficult in the beginning. However, things worked out well for us. You really do meet the best people unexpectedly.
Definitely true. :colondollar:
Reply 23
Happened to me before, I suppose.
The relationship I’m in now, by far the best one, was a surprise. I knew him from school and we had a one night stand after talking for a bit when I’d just split up with my ex. Realised we clicked straight away and meaningless sex turned into the best and happiest relationship unexpectedly :smile:
Reply 25
To answer your original question, statistically speaking, neither is a strict rule. Either, or both, could happen.

I am probably the least experienced when it comes to love in this thread so all I can give is stats :biggrin: hope all works out well for you
That's awesome, well done you :smile: If you don't mind me asking how did you ask him out? Especially in a work setting where there are lots of other people about and a formal environment? There is someone I really like.. I know he is physically attracted to me but like I said he never asked me out so I assume he's not that into me :frown:

How do you 'know' that he's physically attracted to you?

Sounds like he's worth a shot, especially if you really like him. Find a time when you can be alone-ish somewhere around the office & try to make time to engage with him a bit more in conversation.
There was a time when I was attracted to someone in my office and found opportunities to make conversation and spend work-related time together (whether that was sitting in the work kitchen or walking out of the office in the same direction). As we got to know each other better we spent more time together and I ended up grabbing a drink with her after work and telling her about how I felt about her and the feeling was reciprocated ... the rest is a bit complicated, but hopefully that's enough to help you move forward a bit.
Keep us updated with how you go.

For the record I've never happened upon someone I fell in love with (eg it just came along/happened), it's always been a concerted effort by one or both parties to engage the other with a relationship as end-goal.
:colondollar:
Love comes in mysterious ways, like when you're in the post office one morning. That's how I met my husband of 2 years. We've been married since 17, my parents disapproved at first, but we ran away and eloped. Now, we have 2 kids and another on the way. We live in a peaceful cottage in the Cornish south.
Don't look for love, let it look for you.

Farewell, hope you find love one day, like me and my husband, Derek.

-BiologyGAL123 and Derek xox
@byeongkwans
@Professional G

So glad things are still working out for you
Love 💕 om
Original post by Oxford Mum
@byeongkwans
@Professional G

So glad things are still working out for you
Love 💕 om

Thank you! I’m so glad they’re working out too 💞
Original post by WhyKidz
How do you 'know' that he's physically attracted to you?

Sounds like he's worth a shot, especially if you really like him. Find a time when you can be alone-ish somewhere around the office & try to make time to engage with him a bit more in conversation.
There was a time when I was attracted to someone in my office and found opportunities to make conversation and spend work-related time together (whether that was sitting in the work kitchen or walking out of the office in the same direction). As we got to know each other better we spent more time together and I ended up grabbing a drink with her after work and telling her about how I felt about her and the feeling was reciprocated ... the rest is a bit complicated, but hopefully that's enough to help you move forward a bit.
Keep us updated with how you go.

For the record I've never happened upon someone I fell in love with (eg it just came along/happened), it's always been a concerted effort by one or both parties to engage the other with a relationship as end-goal.
:colondollar:

I assume that he is attracted to me because we once shared a very passionate kiss! How did you set up the drink btw? I feel like because he didn't ask me out he's not really interested in me? Then again it's a long story but everyone seems to think I like someone else in the office just because we talk a lot, but I don't I like the guy I kissed but I'm just too shy around him now :frown:
Original post by BiologyGAL123
Love comes in mysterious ways, like when you're in the post office one morning. That's how I met my husband of 2 years. We've been married since 17, my parents disapproved at first, but we ran away and eloped. Now, we have 2 kids and another on the way. We live in a peaceful cottage in the Cornish south.
Don't look for love, let it look for you.

Farewell, hope you find love one day, like me and my husband, Derek.

-BiologyGAL123 and Derek xox

That's amazing, I had never even hugged or even had a guy at 17 let alone been in love! I've had this account since being at uni in my mid 20s, but I'm now in my late 20s I sometimes feel too old to be posting here. I should just hire a therapist lol :tongue: But yeah I'm giving up looking now I'm too old.
Hit me unexpectedly. It can be under your nose. It happens when you don't expect
Some people say love comes when you are not looking.

Others say you have to know what you want and be proactive about it.

I'm so confused about all the conflicting information on relationships and I'm on the verge of giving up on finding love. I'm sick of waiting and hoping for something that may not even happen. I think it's best to just live my life and forget about love.

What do you think?

That's stuff people in relationships say to make single people feel better about being single. You are right that it is best to just live your life. You should still continue living your life even when you're in a relationship. I've given up on finding love and focusing on myself, becoming more self-reliant. I feel a lot happier doing that now.
I assume that he is attracted to me because we once shared a very passionate kiss! How did you set up the drink btw? I feel like because he didn't ask me out he's not really interested in me? Then again it's a long story but everyone seems to think I like someone else in the office just because we talk a lot, but I don't I like the guy I kissed but I'm just too shy around him now :frown:

If I recall as she was coming past me in the office I asked if she had a minute for a quick word and she said yes, we ducked into a meeting room and I asked if she'd like to go for a drink after work that day.
We'd recently been just regular chatting most days and I was fairly confident that she didn't have anything on that evening, so if she'd said she was busy that would have been a clear signal for me that she wasn't interested.

Yes kissing is a fairly clear indicator ... however he may also be feeling shy/unsure off the back of it ... don't think for sure that his reticence is because he's not interested.

Good luck
Some people say love comes when you are not looking.

Others say you have to know what you want and be proactive about it.

I'm so confused about all the conflicting information on relationships and I'm on the verge of giving up on finding love. I'm sick of waiting and hoping for something that may not even happen. I think it's best to just live my life and forget about love.

What do you think?

You're right. You can't be proactive about finding love.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending