The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 and 2 - 4th/7th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irpn
I only did 2 paragraphs for question 2 and 3
1 big paragraph with 2 points for question 4
and 1 page for question 5 with good spag and statistics, direct address, rhetorical question etc in the correct letter form
in my opinion the content I wrote was enough for a pass but would I lose too many marks for not writing enough???

I wrote similar amount for q2, 3 and 4 but managed to write 2.5 pages for q5. Letters are my thing so was thrilled it was that. Had time left over so went back and managed to add bit to each of earlier questions. It’s not about quantity it’s quality so keep that in mind. I’m sure you did great
I did 2 big paragraphs for question 2. I missed question 3 due to Time. 2.5 big paragraphs for question 4 and I completed question 5 quite well but I wrote it as an article. Do you think I could get a 4 on this paper?
I’m really unsure about my question five now as I did talk about celebrities(singer & actors)that have skills and face and concluded that the appearance covered the people who has skills blahblahblahblah and some anecdotes,repetition, statistics and rq do you think that matches with the question?????
what about using
pronouns
emotive language
use of flattery
dramatic language (similes or metaphors)
Reply 64
For paper 2 question 4 instead of differences I did similar instead have I done it wrong or can you do that?
Original post by jazzyman123
I did 2 big paragraphs for question 2. I missed question 3 due to Time. 2.5 big paragraphs for question 4 and I completed question 5 quite well but I wrote it as an article. Do you think I could get a 4 on this paper?

there was letter to write....
Original post by karolina1234567
there was letter to write....

I know😭
Original post by Ashleigh Stock
don't know, all i rmember was that the father abandoned his daughter, so she'd pick flowers up off of the road lmao

It was from a story called 'The Mill' by H E Bates.
Reply 68
Q5 - wrote an article /letter... half/half...lol
But what I am panicking about is that I agreed with the statement, not disagreed...
Original post by Beebee69
But what I am panicking about is that I agreed with the statement, not disagreed...

I think you don’t have to certainly agree or disagree with the statement as it says you have to deliver you view point on the statement through the letter to the editor i believe
Reply 70
Original post by tongtong123
I think you don’t have to certainly agree or disagree with the statement as it says you have to deliver you view point on the statement through the letter to the editor i believe

Thanks...hope I did ok 😞

It doesn’t matter if you agreed or disagreed, as long as you fought your corner. A lot of revision videos on YouTube say to go with the least obvious one, as in if most students agree then disagree as examiner will be reading something completely different but tbh I don’t think it makes huge amount of difference as long as you’ve done as you were asked and you don’t back down or change your mind halfway through
Reply 72
Original post by Loulour
It doesn’t matter if you agreed or disagreed, as long as you fought your corner. A lot of revision videos on YouTube say to go with the least obvious one, as in if most students agree then disagree as examiner will be reading something completely different but tbh I don’t think it makes huge amount of difference as long as you’ve done as you were asked and you don’t back down or change your mind halfway through

Yip, I backed my corner strongly, agreeing with the statement and then added all my points of view.
Original post by tongtong123
I’m really unsure about my question five now as I did talk about celebrities(singer & actors)that have skills and face and concluded that the appearance covered the people who has skills blahblahblahblah and some anecdotes,repetition, statistics and rq do you think that matches with the question?????

Anyone think that will be fine?????
Reply 74
Yip, I backed my corner strongly, agreeing with the statement and then added all my points of view.

Oops...fought my corner...lol

Perfect. That’s 100% more important than agreement!
Reply 76
I did 6 paragraphs on my article/letter. I am aiming for atleast a 7. Is that still possible? I heard your only suppose to do 3 paragraphs.
Original post by Tee.Q
I did 6 paragraphs on my article/letter. I am aiming for atleast a 7. Is that still possible?

Absolutely. Why not? It’s all dependent on how you did over the 2 papers. Key is not getting hung up on any part of either exam now. It’s done. You can’t add or change any of it. No point worrying! Trust me. I’ve been here before. I’m 37 and retaking both English language and Maths 21 years after first go. Maths and English were/are my “natural” subjects and I just thought good grade was going to happen. Immediately after the exams was when I started worrying, but it did me no good and took over my summer. Relax now. This bit’s over. Go do something fun!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 78
For paper 2 question 4 instead of doing the different view points I did similar view points have I done it wrong?
You can do as many paragraphs as you want but remember 'Short and strong is better than long and wrong.'
If you did 6 paragraphs its not the end of the world as long as you didn't waffle and used the correct grammar then you should be fine. Structure is also a key thing as it shows that you understand as to what the examiner wants.

I'm sure that you've done great so don't worry. Good luck for August. The exam is now over so don't overthink it :-)
Original post by Tee.Q
I did 6 paragraphs on my article/letter. I am aiming for atleast a 7. Is that still possible? I heard your only suppose to do 3 paragraphs.

Quick Reply