The Student Room Group

My Journey to becoming a Song Writer/Singer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kim~Shawn Mendes
hey guys a little update heres what i have been working on

Listen track

Spoiler

Like everyone else it seems, will be listening once I get home from work :smile: What a great surprise to come home to :h:
Reply 61
ok sure ill be waiting to see whever u like it
Original post by Kraggor
Like everyone else it seems, will be listening once I get home from work :smile: What a great surprise to come home to :h:
Reply 62
i won't be on at 4 but heres a reminder
Original post by Obolinda
please poke me after school(around 4pm) to remind me to listen to this?:smile:
It is okay... but I'm going to be completely truthful... I NEVER intend to hurt peoples feelings only to give them constructive criticism so that it what I am going to do.

Honestly, your vocals need a lot of work. There is quite obviously potential but that won't mean anything unless it is acted upon.

1) You need to stop creaking your voice as you go into notes. It doesn't suit your voice
2) Work on arpeggios... so listen to a piano arpeggio (look it up) and I suggest you start with A to F which is just going la¹ la² la³ la⁴ la⁵ la⁶ la⁶ la⁵ la⁴ la³ la² la¹ (1 to 6 would be from F to A, then A to F). I say this because your notes are a little flat sometimes.
3) Pronouce the words, practice singing tongue twisters (for reference... look up Moses Supposes from Singin' In The Rain on YouTube... it is an old example but I KNOW that it will show you what I mean as I have studied it)
4) Practice stomach breathing. You should be using your diaphragm more than your lungs. When you breath IN, your stomach should be pushing OUT, when breathing OUT, your stomach should be retracting IN. This will aid in the quality of your notes
5) Learn piano chords or get someone else to do that for you. This is because you need to be able to hear the notes in the music and hear when you are off in vocals. I can tell you struggle with that, especially with the track you have been given as there are notes, but a lot of it isharmonies. Therefore, if you cannot sing with simple piano chords, you will not have a chance at hitting the harmonies of a more complex piece.

I want to make it clear that I am in now at trying to tell you you are shxt because you are not. But your vocals DO need a lot of work and I have had to work independently to work these things out on my own and I think it is helpful to hear from others who are also aspiring musicians.... because even though a lot of people have commented that it is great, to be perfectly honest it is not. It is GOOD but there are many imperfections and I think people just dont want to hurt you so much by saying that it isnt AMAZING... it is still a good piece and with work you have potential. I am doing this out of kindness rather than spite and I hope you appreciate it in this way also.

💕
i won't be on at 4 but heres a reminder
Reply 64
Yeah i know that my voice isn't brilliant and is bad but thats the part i struggle with, i will work on what u said, thanks for the feedback
Original post by Camryn0903
It is okay... but I'm going to be completely truthful... I NEVER intend to hurt peoples feelings only to give them constructive criticism so that it what I am going to do.

Honestly, your vocals need a lot of work. There is quite obviously potential but that won't mean anything unless it is acted upon.

1) You need to stop creaking your voice as you go into notes. It doesn't suit your voice
2) Work on arpeggios... so listen to a piano arpeggio (look it up) and I suggest you start with A to F which is just going la¹ la² la³ la⁴ la⁵ la⁶ la⁶ la⁵ la⁴ la³ la² la¹ (1 to 6 would be from F to A, then A to F). I say this because your notes are a little flat sometimes.
3) Pronouce the words, practice singing tongue twisters (for reference... look up Moses Supposes from Singin' In The Rain on YouTube... it is an old example but I KNOW that it will show you what I mean as I have studied it)
4) Practice stomach breathing. You should be using your diaphragm more than your lungs. When you breath IN, your stomach should be pushing OUT, when breathing OUT, your stomach should be retracting IN. This will aid in the quality of your notes
5) Learn piano chords or get someone else to do that for you. This is because you need to be able to hear the notes in the music and hear when you are off in vocals. I can tell you struggle with that, especially with the track you have been given as there are notes, but a lot of it isharmonies. Therefore, if you cannot sing with simple piano chords, you will not have a chance at hitting the harmonies of a more complex piece.

I want to make it clear that I am in now at trying to tell you you are shxt because you are not. But your vocals DO need a lot of work and I have had to work independently to work these things out on my own and I think it is helpful to hear from others who are also aspiring musicians.... because even though a lot of people have commented that it is great, to be perfectly honest it is not. It is GOOD but there are many imperfections and I think people just dont want to hurt you so much by saying that it isnt AMAZING... it is still a good piece and with work you have potential. I am doing this out of kindness rather than spite and I hope you appreciate it in this way also.

💕
Have you ever tried a duet?...
Yeah i know that my voice isn't brilliant and is bad but thats the part i struggle with, i will work on what u said, thanks for the feedback
Reply 66
no but i would properly feel more confortable doing that lol
Have you ever tried a duet?...
Where abouts do you live... like rough area in the uk
no but i would properly feel more confortable doing that lol
Reply 68
lol thas the point don't live in the uk
Whatsapp?.. cant atm.coz I only have it at my nans but in a couple weeks... same situ with insta and sc
technically she is British and she is not
Original post by Haider.alix
technically she is British and she is not

What ... who are you referring to when saying she
not you certainly
What ... who are you referring to when saying she
Reply 73
no don't use that
Whatsapp?.. cant atm.coz I only have it at my nans but in a couple weeks... same situ with insta and sc
Reply 74
technically im a english
As in from England.. which is in the UK??

*an english
technically im a english
Reply 76
i live in the channel islands which is part of english terriotory
As in from England.. which is in the UK??

*an english
Oh ok hmm... how would this work then....

i live in the channel islands which is part of english terriotory
Reply 78
don't know lol
Oh ok hmm... how would this work then....
Hmm... what socials DO you have

Quick Reply

Latest