The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, id rather not say that.

But its not a high amount, its less than 50%, and then i have no other expenses besides £200 rent money and 2 other direct debits, but after all car,rent, phone and gym, i have still got a very hefty amount, and at 17/18 that is fine, i can still put a little away for savings and then the rest of fuel, going out etc
Original post by IWMTom
Out of curiosity, what percentage of your income (after tax) are you planning to spend on this car per month?
Reply 41
Original post by IWMTom
You've been told porkies by your dealer. You'll be charged through the nose for any damage not documented. PCP on a used car is a bad idea, and most financial experts would agree (Martin Lewis specifically) - used car PCP doesn't come with dealer contributions and the interest is sky high, along with the other drawbacks of PCP it makes it a bad deal.

Tone your attitude down, you're not even 18 yet, consider whether this is the right car for you.

Whats a high interest rate for you? 4%? 5%? Tell me, and i'll show you PCP Deals with interest rates lower than what you think. And why are dealer contributions necessary? its the exact same as if you had money taken off the car.

You do understand that dealers offer contributions on new, nearly new cars in order to entice people into paying the high cost of buying a new car and cover the depreciation.

Tell me mate, do you drive, and if so how is it financed (if it all)? Or lemme guess, cash only am I right?
Cash only with my cars. I would never dream of lashing out £11,500 or more on a car.

It won't get me from A to B any quicker in the UK, nor in any more safety, nor comfort, nor more reliably than the right type of £1k to £4k car.

All it will do is look nicer / more fashionable / newer on the outside. None of which I care about.

And as for cars attracting the opposite sex, my girlfriend would (quite rightly) be very annoyed if I were to spend over £5k on a car.
The real question is, are you going to stick a loud exhaust on it?
Original post by MrCole&Co
I asked the question as i know it isnt the exact same process insuring a high end car such as the evoque, i understand you all may think that i am trolling but i dont see how it is so un achievable when it is merely 250 per month to finance such vehicle. £250 a month on finance is very affordable when you work hard and have a good job. But i mean if you all want to think im lieing then think that

I'm not going to call troll and claim this is not achievable, I could probably finance an Evoque too, but the interest would be through the roof and I'd probably need a good 5k+ deposit easily to finance one at 250 quid a month (taking into account interest). And even then I still wouldn't do it because any Evoque I'd find at that price would be lucky to find in mint mechanical condition and most likely need the timing chain changed, which is a common Range Rover fault and is not cheap to deal with, it's pretty common that people will PEX their range rovers the second they know it's coming. That + gearbox issues that might ever arise on a RR will absolutely fist your savings to death. Do yourself a favour, get yourself a nice cheapish low end of high mileage 10 year old BMW/Merc, enjoy it, and save for a house while you still can. The Evoque isn't even that nice to drive compared to the sport.

However the concept of insuring an Evoque or a Micra is the exact same. You just have to dig far deeper to find insurers which isn't exactly difficult, google can do that, because it'll simply be insurers not on comparison sites and the option to take the hit and have a high all sections XS instead of a high premium is always on the table. To be fair, if you can afford an evoque and the insane road tax and maintenance costs that come with it, you can definitely afford to insure it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you, i know it sounds like a troll post but it really is not that un achievable, as i said its around £250 for a 2016 with decent mileage, £400 if i go for the HP option (Which i think i will do, after the 4 years it is said to be atleast £15k still which then means i can sell and invest that 15 into a deposit for a house or sell for a new car etc, the car will be mine if its HP and it will be my little investment/asset)

I have done comparison sites and its about 3.3k with a box, which i dont find too bad, but i heard that if you just keep searching insurance it goes up.

So due to the fact i would be getting it after my 18th and after im back from my lads holiday, i dont want to go on comparison sites for a while.

But thank you for your help, i know it is a big ask, but if i messaged you the link to the one on hold, could you tell me if you think it is any good? I have had a mechanic look over the post and check the post for an red flags, he said that it was alright, but even that, when i go to buy the car i think i will pay for a mechanic to come with me and check it out.

Thank you again Sir for your help.
Original post by nevershear
I'm not going to call troll and claim this is not achievable, I could probably finance an Evoque too, but the interest would be through the roof and I'd probably need a good 5k+ deposit easily to finance one at 250 quid a month (taking into account interest). And even then I still wouldn't do it because any Evoque I'd find at that price would be lucky to find in mint mechanical condition and most likely need the timing chain changed, which is a common Range Rover fault and is not cheap to deal with, it's pretty common that people will PEX their range rovers the second they know it's coming. That + gearbox issues that might ever arise on a RR will absolutely fist your savings to death. Do yourself a favour, get yourself a nice cheapish low end of high mileage 10 year old BMW/Merc, enjoy it, and save for a house while you still can. The Evoque isn't even that nice to drive compared to the sport.

However the concept of insuring an Evoque or a Micra is the exact same. You just have to dig far deeper to find insurers which isn't exactly difficult, google can do that, because it'll simply be insurers not on comparison sites and the option to take the hit and have a high all sections XS instead of a high premium is always on the table. To be fair, if you can afford an evoque and the insane road tax and maintenance costs that come with it, you can definitely afford to insure it.
Thats your opinion and i respect that, i just dont have the money to be able to buy a nice car outright, so im going with finance which i still dont think is a bad idea personally.

Thank you for your input :smile:
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Cash only with my cars. I would never dream of lashing out £11,500 or more on a car.

It won't get me from A to B any quicker in the UK, nor in any more safety, nor comfort, nor more reliably than the right type of £1k to £4k car.

All it will do is look nicer / more fashionable / newer on the outside. None of which I care about.

And as for cars attracting the opposite sex, my girlfriend would (quite rightly) be very annoyed if I were to spend over £5k on a car.
Sorry again, the interest varies as i am getting the evoque second hand off autotrader, each dealership offers different %, but i have seen 5%, 9%, 7% which is not bad to be fair. All i need is my mum as a guarantor and its good to go. I currently have one on hold but im looking at all options and ways to get it cheaper.
Original post by nevershear

Why would you even want an evoque is my question.
Evoques are class, so much better looking than the big version.

each to their own i guess
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Why would you even want an evoque is my question.
They are a bit of a WAGs car though.
Original post by Admit-One
They are a bit of a WAGs car though.

That's a bit gender biased surely? In this day anyone should be able to suck off a Championship defender for a used Rangey.
Original post by MrCole&amp
Hi Guys

Yeah you probably have read the title and thought, keep dreaming but i am getting a range rover evoque and getting rid of my corsa.

As you may expect, i am finding very little insurance companies to insure the car, besides the one i can see on compare the market websites, are there any that wont appear on the comparison site?

Thanks

J

Idk why everyone is ******** on you. You would get a higher interest rate if you were getting the loan by yourself but as your mum is the guarantor it’s be a lot more reasonable which I have seen mentioned by you

An evoque isn’t out of the question at 18 but is afar from what people are used to being little 1.0 fiesta and 1.0 nandowagons so it’s understandable most people are out of their depth on this matter. I know someone who has an RS4 at 18 and pays a small amount every month as he put a hefty deposit down from his own savings.

Regarding insurance, you will have to ring around as most online quotes will be a little off to what they could actually offer you. I would imagine you have 1 years ncb from the corsa so that would help you but you may need to shop around. Another thing you could try is finding a Range Rover or evoque forum where you can get a percentage off your insurance if your a member. I don’t think there are any but it wouldn’t hurt to look

Obviously it would be more responsible to buy a shitbox and save your money but hey you only live once so you may as well spend on things you like. Just don’t over leverage yourself and make sure you can afford the payments and any maintenance the car may need. As your buying from the dealer, they would offer their own warranty but I would shop around for another warranty that would cover common problems. It could save you a bit of money further down the line.

Otherwise enjoy the car if you do buy it and make sure to test drive it beforehand or if the dealer won’t let you then look at hiring one for a weekend so you are 100% decided on the car
Original post by MrCole&Co
Evoques are class, so much better looking than the big version.

each to their own i guess

They don't look too bad, but they're very low powered and don't have an insane amount of torque, it's worse than the drive from a Ford Kuga.

In terms of looking at it for you, without physically checking the vehicle I'm not even close to being in a position to tell you if it's a good shout.
Whoah! You're buying a 2016 Evoque?! That's madness. That's a £15k to £17k car!

For sure they are nice, but in certain key respects they are worse than a 10+ year old Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, BMW 330d or 530d, Audi Q7 etc etc etc. All of which can be bought for a LOT less money.

Having a nice car is great. But how about having a really nice car for like £5k or less instead of £15k or more?
As in let's be sensible in our choice of nice car and use our heads as well as our hearts in buying it. Instead of just using our hearts and losing our heads?
Original post by classic3296
Idk why everyone is ******** on you. You would get a higher interest rate if you were getting the loan by yourself but as your mum is the guarantor it’s be a lot more reasonable which I have seen mentioned by you

An evoque isn’t out of the question at 18 but is afar from what people are used to being little 1.0 fiesta and 1.0 nandowagons so it’s understandable most people are out of their depth on this matter. I know someone who has an RS4 at 18 and pays a small amount every month as he put a hefty deposit down from his own savings.

Regarding insurance, you will have to ring around as most online quotes will be a little off to what they could actually offer you. I would imagine you have 1 years ncb from the corsa so that would help you but you may need to shop around. Another thing you could try is finding a Range Rover or evoque forum where you can get a percentage off your insurance if your a member. I don’t think there are any but it wouldn’t hurt to look

Obviously it would be more responsible to buy a shitbox and save your money but hey you only live once so you may as well spend on things you like. Just don’t over leverage yourself and make sure you can afford the payments and any maintenance the car may need. As your buying from the dealer, they would offer their own warranty but I would shop around for another warranty that would cover common problems. It could save you a bit of money further down the line.

Otherwise enjoy the car if you do buy it and make sure to test drive it beforehand or if the dealer won’t let you then look at hiring one for a weekend so you are 100% decided on the car

Please tell me how he got insured on a RS4!! I made a deal dependent on grades to be allowed to drive a car, but its insurance group is 46 and no ones willing to insure me until 20, by which point the car will be long gone.
You can get insured on whatever you want it’s just a matter of how much you’re going to pay. I’m looking at an M3 which is group 43 for insurance and I was getting quotes for around £4.8k so I’m assuming a group 46 would be in the region of 5k . I have two years no claims which might make a difference but I’m still only 19 so idk but either way you can still insure your RS4 or whatever else but just be prepared to pay the price to play with big boys toys.

Original post by UrBusted
Please tell me how he got insured on a RS4!! I made a deal dependent on grades to be allowed to drive a car, but its insurance group is 46 and no ones willing to insure me until 20, by which point the car will be long gone.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
You can get insured on whatever you want it’s just a matter of how much you’re going to pay. I’m looking at an M3 which is group 43 for insurance and I was getting quotes for around £4.8k so I’m assuming a group 46 would be in the region of 5k . I have two years no claims which might make a difference but I’m still only 19 so idk but either way you can still insure your RS4 or whatever else but just be prepared to pay the price to play with big boys toys.

Was that with a black box?
How much would insurance be for a 10 year old 330d? Which is a quicker car on public roads from A to B due to the less frequent fuel stops (and greater reliability).
Original post by AtheClassicMan

My quote at 20 was 9k, I'd be fine paying 5k @ 19. The car has barely got 300hp, and the M3 is definitely more dangerous lol. Looks like I have to wait for a few years!!
Original post by classic3296

Thank you Sir, i have thought hard about it and it is looking promising, he said he will even advertise my corsa for me to get a quick sale at a very good price.

He said i can test drive it and i can come a view before i do buy it.

He said he will even black out the wheels for free which makes it look so much nicer.

Latest