The Student Room Group

Do GCSEs actually matter ?

Scroll to see replies

For getting into your a level courses (and Oxford), GCSEs matter. Apart from that, no. Your life will almost definitely not be over if you screw them up. In fact, it's a good learning curve to bounce back from.
The cringe is strong with some of the replies.
Too many people here answered with speculations instead of facts. Obviously, when you apply for universities you should have sensible GCSE grades but A Levels and the interview are the decisive factors. For college applications, you only need to have good behaviour and meet your course requirements.
*deep breath*

YES!

If you've got bad GCSE's you'll struggle to get into your preferred Sixth Forms and Colleges, and they will plague you for the rest of your life as they'll always turn up in your job applications and CVs.

Treat them seriously and do your best. They won't be the hardest thing you'll ever face but they're still incredibly important.
Schools and teachers put so much emphasis on GCSEs because your results ultimately benefit them as your good grades make them look good.
Original post by ThePootisPower
*deep breath*

YES!

If you've got bad GCSE's you'll struggle to get into your preferred Sixth Forms and Colleges, and they will plague you for the rest of your life as they'll always turn up in your job applications and CVs.

Treat them seriously and do your best. They won't be the hardest thing you'll ever face but they're still incredibly important.

Can't tell if you are trolling or not
Original post by MichaelTownly
Can't tell if you are trolling or not

Can't tell if you have brain cells or not.

I've heard stories from people in my school's learning support who were struggling to get better jobs because while they had good qualifications from A-level onwards, their GCSEs, which act as a foundation for your CV, were not high quality.

I've heard stories from people in my school's learning support who were struggling to get better jobs because while they had good qualifications from A-level onwards, their GCSEs, which act as a foundation for your CV, were not high quality.

Nice insult btw, it shows that you are really offended. It is definitely a respectable thing to do by a "respected member" of this community.
(edited 4 years ago)

What you are saying is just so convincing when you use words like "stories", "better", "good" and "bad" which hardly suggest anything.
I've literally seen my best mates lose out on going to the sixthform they wanted to because their grades in certain subjects weren't good enough. Do you really think teachers are emphasising the importance of GCSEs just to look good to their boss? It's so you don't irreparably screw up your education - though I have a feeling educating you is a lost cause.
I've literally seen my best mates lose out on going to the sixthform they wanted to because their grades in certain subjects weren't good enough. Do you really think teachers are emphasising the importance of GCSEs just to look good to their boss? It's so you don't irreparably screw up your education - though I have a feeling educating you is a lost cause.

I never disagreed that sixth forms care about GCSEs.

Hehe, I know that teachers care about my education, but they put "SO MUCH " emphasis is due to the fact that their student's GCSE results ultimately determine the fate of their school. This is even more evident in optional subjects in which some teachers care more about their students' grades than the students themselves, despite that optional GCSEs often don't matter that much,
(edited 4 years ago)
To be fair, chatting with you is a lost cause since your most recent reply doesn't quite say anything that I disagree with. You are getting emotional so I advise you to calm down. You really love the strawman, don't you?
(edited 4 years ago)
In order to avoid future straws and confusion, I clarify that yes, six forms care about your GCSEs, and that although schools and teachers do care about their student's education, they often misrepresent the importance of GCSEs to encourage their students to do better. However, bad students won't care anyway and good students will over-stress.
By the way, you know who you should ignore when someone relies heavily on insults and emotion.
It does matter, when I was a 16 year old I was predicted high grades.
I already had my path in mind(British Army)
I didn’t revise much and although I got a pass in maths (D) it never affected me and in life Ive been pretty successful.
But I’m now in my late 30’s and having a career change which involves me need to apply for uni.
That D has stopped me from applying as you need 5 A-C grades which must inc Math,Science and English.
I’m now retaking it, I have a mortgage, family and a job to work round to do so.
So my advice is this, it may not affect your choice for career but you never know where life my take you. So work hard now, get the grades while you have very little to worry about and have NO REGRETS!
(edited 4 years ago)
Put in maximum effort and keep your options open, that's all I'm going to say.
Yes yes yesss, I really regret not taking mine seriously because although mine were not horrendous (3As, 7Bs) they did cost me a university offer last year at one of my top choices. I never thought I’d need them but honestly you’ll never know who will ask for them so it’s definitely better to be safe than sorry. Also, you’re only in year 10! Don’t stress, as long as you keep doing small but consistent amounts of work leading up till GCSEs then you’ll find the bulkier revision around March time will be a lottt easier
Original post by bambs123
Yes yes yesss, I really regret not taking mine seriously because although mine were not horrendous (3As, 7Bs) they did cost me a university offer last year at one of my top choices. I never thought I’d need them but honestly you’ll never know who will ask for them so it’s definitely better to be safe than sorry. Also, you’re only in year 10! Don’t stress, as long as you keep doing small but consistent amounts of work leading up till GCSEs then you’ll find the bulkier revision around March time will be a lottt easier

Which University did you apply for? Are you sure that your GCSE grades are the sole factors for your rejection?
Do you think you would have been accepted by your top choice if you had perfect GCSE grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending