The Student Room Group

Iranian girl gets highest possible Mensa IQ score

Scroll to see replies

i'll see it when i believe it
I scored 166+ in an online IQ test.
Sure, I figured out that every time it has the same questions in the same order and I memorised them so I could do the test in front of my friend and make him think I was a genius for a laugh, but I think I'm well clever for even thinking of that :u:
I have a really low iq but that’s because my mind doesn’t work that way ( at least that’s my excuse). I am more interested in people and seeing what makes them think the way they do. In this regard, TSR is truly fascinating
Well done Tara, by the way. I admire anyone who can do anything well, no matter what it is. If I had the choice, I would rather be clever than beautiful.
You can study for an IQ test, thus you can get better results without actually being any smarter. Though I do agree that is somewhat of an okay measurement, as it can give a general insight into someone's ability at answering that kind of question, it by no means takes into account many other kinds of intelligence, such as language analysis, intuition, lateral thinking skills, application of knowledge, etc. Because of this you cannot say that someone is more intelligent, or cleverer, just because they scored better than an IQ test.
Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
Ummmm good for her I guess
IQ is utter BS lol
There is so much more to life and a person than some number from some test. It's so bad at measuring what it claims to, that it can vary by as much as +-20 in a person's life. Totally just boasting rights for people who have nothing else going for them, and I suspect this girl will regret having ever agreed/ that her parents agreed to release her information to the reporters.

I've always found jealousy a singularly unpleasant characteristic.
Jealous of what? :tongue: I was in my local newspaper for my GCSE results (and frankly regret that a lot, media is questionably trustworthy). I'm heading off to Cambridge this year if all goes well. She has nothing that I want. It is far more rewarding for me to work hard and I already prefaced my case with the fact that I don't believe in the accuracy of such tests. IQ is BS, that's all I came here to say, QED. (Y'all know I'm taking the mick when I QED'd it. If not, oh dear...)

FYI, I do not come asking for you to find me pleasant. Like me or not, I speak my mind where it matters. Just don't misconstrue my intentions or twist them into something that makes you seem so noble to judge others.

Btw this might be annoying and sorry if you're sick of me, but 'envy' and 'jealousy' should not be used interchangeably. They have different contexts. One of my pet peeves.
Original post by Frankkly
I've always found jealousy a singularly unpleasant characteristic.
(edited 4 years ago)
This made me have a lil laugh!
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I scored 166+ in an online IQ test.
Sure, I figured out that every time it has the same questions in the same order and I memorised them so I could do the test in front of my friend and make him think I was a genius for a laugh, but I think I'm well clever for even thinking of that :u:
Here's your metaphorical internet fields medal
It says on it
sinx = x for all x and a mod is not allowed to delete this monstrosity
Original post by jessicamac2727
i also scored 162 in my mensa test :smile:)
Typical engineers smh. next you'll tell me π=3=e! (exclamation mark not factorial)
Here's your metaphorical internet fields medal
It says on it
sinx = x for all x and a mod is not allowed to delete this monstrosity
I agree that IQ tests are dumb. Different tests provide very different results. Also children tend to take “child IQ” test which tend to be much more simpler.

That being said, many of the comments in this thread are so pathetic. It’s like people are trying to overcompensate because there is a person who is naturally more intelligent.
Original post by javedkid123
That being said, many of the comments in this thread are so pathetic. It’s like people are trying to overcompensate because there is a person who is naturally more intelligent.

Couldn't agree more...!
Original post by Palmyra
An 11-year-old Iranian school girl has just become the new face of braininess after receiving the highest possible score on the Mensa IQ test.

"Tara Sharifi, a student in UK's Aylesbury High School, recently took the test in Oxford, where she scored an impressive 162 points. The result puts Sharifi well above the “genius benchmark” of 140.

It also places her just ahead of Albert Einstein's projected IQ of 160 (although Einstein never sat for the test and this estimation has been questioned).

Her father Hossein Sharifi told reporters that he is "extremely proud" of his daughter -- though he had an inkling of her intellectual prowess. “I figured she might do well when we watched TV and she would get maths questions before the contestants. I knew she was very clever but I did not think she would have such a high IQ.”

The 11-year-old has expressed an interest in pursuing further studies in maths -- a sign, perhaps, that she will follow late the late [Iranian] Fields Medal-winning mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani's footsteps?"

Source

Horseshit. There is no "highest possible IQ score". The standard test becomes unreliable after 160, because it's calibrated at 100, and 60 points is too high a deviation. It's still possible though. And there are other tests that calibrate higher, to attempt higher accuracy. The highest recorded IQ was ~210.

Pretty sure they hand out IQ points like sweets though, tbh. Mine's 160 and I'm not very smart.
Clearly you're smart enough to see through the horseshit. I used to read a lot about this... (dark times). The original IQ test was not designed for those several SD above the mean. It was instead used to test (specifically) children on the other end. To have a cap at 162 is a bit strange. Seems even the people who developed the Cattel B resigned to the fact that any higher is very very difficult to test.
Original post by Tootles
Horseshit. There is no "highest possible IQ score". The standard test becomes unreliable after 160, because it's calibrated at 100, and 60 points is too high a deviation. It's still possible though. And there are other tests that calibrate higher, to attempt higher accuracy. The highest recorded IQ was ~210.

Pretty sure they hand out IQ points like sweets though, tbh. Mine's 160 and I'm not very smart.
(edited 4 years ago)
Clearly you're smart enough to see through the horseshit.

Nah I'm just good at Googling :lol:
Shhhhhhhhhh that's the secret!
Original post by Tootles
Nah I'm just good at Googling :lol:
Shhhhhhhhhh that's the secret!

PRSOM :h:
Reply 97
Nice achievement, hopefully she will achieve many great things. It’s a shame that people on here are so jealous and trying to put down her ah ievment instead of being happy for others. I fell like a lot of tsr users are so cynical
Original post by JTharma
Nice achievement, hopefully she will achieve many great things. It’s a shame that people on here are so jealous and trying to put down her ah ievment instead of being happy for others. I fell like a lot of tsr users are so cynical

People aren’t jealous. They are actually talking some sense and I personally found what most of them said very informative. TSR is a place for people to express their opinions and they’re free to do so especially since it seems to be mostly valid and not just nonsensical “jealous” remarks.

However, I do agree that it’s impressive that she did that well regardless of what her results imply.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 99
Good for her. I hope she'll exceed her potential

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending