The Student Room Group

fire alarm beeping

Hey guys,
so for a week now the fire alarm has been beeping every 30 secs in my student accommodation flat just in front my room, you can imagine that it's impossible to sleep, it's so damn loud. Raised it several times to reception and they ofc say they'll repair but still haven't. Yesterday, I've been promised that someone would come today to take care of the fire alarm but came back from uni only to find that it's still annoyingly beeping. What should I do?
They aren't doing anything about it and obviously don't care, I'm really busy with uni and I need my sleep and also, it's against the regulations to have a fire alarm that isn't working properly, isn't it?
My bet is that the battery needs to be replaced and I cannot do it myself since I'm not allowed to tamper with the fire equipment.
It's really frustrating and driving me insane to the point I just want to cry and pull all my hair out (lol)
I've been thinking about putting in a complaint but they probably won't take it serious, I also thought about complaining to the national code but here's the thing the contract ends in two weeks, so I'll be moving out in two weeks but I definitely don't want them to get away with this unacceptable behaviour and just being in my room since a week has been hell.
What would you do?
Tomorrow's the weekend so there's no proper reception and the manager never seems to be there.
maybe it's a carbon monoxide alarm?
Original post by sorailli
Hey guys,
so for a week now the fire alarm has been beeping every 30 secs in my student accommodation flat just in front my room, you can imagine that it's impossible to sleep, it's so damn loud. Raised it several times to reception and they ofc say they'll repair but still haven't. Yesterday, I've been promised that someone would come today to take care of the fire alarm but came back from uni only to find that it's still annoyingly beeping. What should I do?
They aren't doing anything about it and obviously don't care, I'm really busy with uni and I need my sleep and also, it's against the regulations to have a fire alarm that isn't working properly, isn't it?
My bet is that the battery needs to be replaced and I cannot do it myself since I'm not allowed to tamper with the fire equipment.
It's really frustrating and driving me insane to the point I just want to cry and pull all my hair out (lol)
I've been thinking about putting in a complaint but they probably won't take it serious, I also thought about complaining to the national code but here's the thing the contract ends in two weeks, so I'll be moving out in two weeks but I definitely don't want them to get away with this unacceptable behaviour and just being in my room since a week has been hell.
What would you do?
Tomorrow's the weekend so there's no proper reception and the manager never seems to be there.

Do you know if anyone else in your building has complained?

Any alarm that is constantly beeping is either detecting something or going wrong. If you have a separate number to call to report maintenance issues, then use that - if it's faulty, then you won't be warned if a fire does start (which is against the H&S laws I believe), or if it's detecting something then that will need dealing with too.
Reply 3
Original post by mpaprika
maybe it's a carbon monoxide alarm?

I think it might a carbon monoxide alarm but knowing this won't help me much, I guess
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Do you know if anyone else in your building has complained?

Any alarm that is constantly beeping is either detecting something or going wrong. If you have a separate number to call to report maintenance issues, then use that - if it's faulty, then you won't be warned if a fire does start (which is against the H&S laws I believe), or if it's detecting something then that will need dealing with too.

No, it's only the alarm in front of my room, and I don't think anyone else had the same problem.

Yea, I'm also suspecting that there might be something wrong bc a red light flashes before it starts to beep. There's not really a number I can call, I mean I could get an external electrician or someone to repair it but I don't want to be spending money on something that the accommodation should take care of
No, it's only the alarm in front of my room, and I don't think anyone else had the same problem.

Yea, I'm also suspecting that there might be something wrong bc a red light flashes before it starts to beep. There's not really a number I can call, I mean I could get an external electrician or someone to repair it but I don't want to be spending money on something that the accommodation should take care of

If you don't have any out-of-hours number to call, then you might have to go to the council or Citizens Advice Bureau. It's against the law to not repair faulty fire safety equipment/ignore alarms, and that is your landlord's responsibility.
Hey guys,
What would you do?

It sounds like it's probably the battery. Personally, I would take it out over the weekend and put it back in on Monday morning before anyone comes. If there are other fire alarms close to your room, they would still go off if there is a fire so you would be alerted should anything happen.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you don't have any out-of-hours number to call, then you might have to go to the council or Citizens Advice Bureau. It's against the law to not repair faulty fire safety equipment/ignore alarms, and that is your landlord's responsibility.

Yea, I might have to do that, thanks for your advice!
Reply 8
would love to mess with it and rip the battery out but I have no idea how and it looks quite complicated, don't want risking damaging it or anything
thanks for helping tho!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
It sounds like it's probably the battery. Personally, I would take it out over the weekend and put it back in on Monday morning before anyone comes. If there are other fire alarms close to your room, they would still go off if there is a fire so you would be alerted should anything happen.

If I knew how to take the battery out, so tempted to just remove the thing completely but thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest