The Student Room Group

IGCSE

What's the difference between GCSE and IGCSE.

Also, would it matter if you buy normal GCSE revision guides instead of IGCSE?
IGCSEs are an international version of the GCSE. To some extent, it does matter whether you buy GCSE revision guides instead of IGCSE- as well as the type of GCSE, the exam board also matters.

Some IGCSEs are completely different from their counterparts, some including a variety of different sub-topics and practical assessment. Likewise, some IGCSEs have a coursework element to them which almost all GCSEs no longer have.

TL;DR - IGCSE is an international [equivalent] version of GCSE. In some cases, it matters a lot as to which revision guide; you should buy a revision guide that is specific to IGCSE and your exam board.
Reply 2
The point of the iGCSE is that it's for students who don't have English as a first language.
Reply 3
I did IGCSE's and i think we do IGCSE because we are a British international school in China.
Original post by Cam3r0n
The point of the iGCSE is that it's for students who don't have English as a first language.
IGCSE are mainly done in private schools because they are meant to be more "prestigious"
Original post by Cam3r0n
Original post by Cam3r0n

I don't think that's true because English is my first language, yet I'm doing IGCSE History
Reply 6
Original post by luckyangel_.x
I don't think that's true because English is my first language, yet I'm doing IGCSE History

They've started using it for more people now, but that was the initial intention.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Cam3r0n
They've started using it for more people now, but that was the initial intention.

Yeahh maybe
IGCSE are the international version of GCSE and their difficulty is practically the same (however some say IGCSE are harder) but when it comes to revision guide you'll seriously need your board because the syllabus isnt same for all
Original post by Cam3r0n

That's ridiculously wrong. I did my IGCSE in 2004 with English as my first language, so did dozens of other schools in my country. What you can say is that IGCSEs were not initially meant for students in UK. It was meant for children outside UK hoping for a recognised international qualification. Now, it has become increasingly popular in the UK.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
That's ridiculously wrong. I did my IGCSE in 2004 with English as my first language, so did dozens of other schools in my country. What you can say is that IGCSEs were not initially meant for students in UK. It was meant for children outside UK hoping for a recognised international qualification. Now, it has become increasingly popular in the UK.

The iGCSE was first made with simpler English for those not in the uk who did not speak English as a first language. The iGCSE them becoming increasingly popular elsewhere and in uk schools.
Like I said
Reply 11
Original post by Cam3r0n
The iGCSE was first made with simpler English for those not in the uk who did not speak English as a first language. The iGCSE them becoming increasingly popular elsewhere and in uk schools.
Like I said

I sat an igcse paper last month titled "first language English" and it was a regional paper specific to the UK 🤔
Original post by leo1233
I sat an igcse paper last month titled "first language English" and it was a regional paper specific to the UK 🤔

It's developed since it first started; it is now used as an alternative to gcse.
Reply 13
Original post by Cam3r0n
It's developed since it first started; it is now used as an alternative to gcse.

alright Michael Gove😆
Original post by leo1233
alright Michael Gove😆

Are you suggesting that I took cocaine, hmm?😆😆😆
Reply 15
Original post by Cam3r0n

Original post by Cam3r0n

Yeah but you get a pass was you 'deeply regret' it 😆

Quick Reply

Latest