Can someone help with this speed time graph

Watch
studentzz123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A car moves along a straight horizontal road. The car starts from rest at a fixed point A on the road and moves with constant acceleration for 30 seconds, reaching a speed of 15 m s−1. This speed is then maintained. When the car has been moving for 15 seconds a motorbike starts from rest at A and moves along the same road in the same direction as the car. The motorbike accelerates at 1.5 m s−2 so that it catches up with the car when the car has been moving for T seconds.

(a) Using the same axes, sketch the speed-time graph of the car and the speed-time graph of the motorbike up to the time when the motorbike catches up with the car

For the motorcycle why is the graph reaching a point and then coming back to zero speed, they never said that the motorcycle comes to rest ? Why isn’t it just a straight line from 15s to Ts
Attached files
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the motorcycle graph should end at T s. The vertical line at T s would not be physically possible (instantaneous braking) and there is nothing in the question to say what happens, so just ignore it and it is a straight line from 15 to T.?

(Original post by studentzz123)
A car moves along a straight horizontal road. The car starts from rest at a fixed point A on the road and moves with constant acceleration for 30 seconds, reaching a speed of 15 m s−1. This speed is then maintained. When the car has been moving for 15 seconds a motorbike starts from rest at A and moves along the same road in the same direction as the car. The motorbike accelerates at 1.5 m s−2 so that it catches up with the car when the car has been moving for T seconds.

(a) Using the same axes, sketch the speed-time graph of the car and the speed-time graph of the motorbike up to the time when the motorbike catches up with the car

For the motorcycle why is the graph reaching a point and then coming back to zero speed, they never said that the motorcycle comes to rest ? Why isn’t it just a straight line from 15s to Ts
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 years ago
studentzz123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So do we always assume that the Second vehicle reaches zero speed eventually ?
(Original post by mqb2766)
the motorcycle graph should end at T s. The vertical line at T s would not be physically possible (instantaneous braking) and there is nothing in the question to say what happens, so just ignore it and it is a straight line from 15 to T.?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't think you assume anything. Just draw it until T then leave it there.
(Original post by studentzz123)
So do we always assume that the Second vehicle reaches zero speed eventually ?
xavierosei65
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Where is this question from please ??
jcrr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
bit late, but I think the reason why the vertical line is there is to show that it ends at t=T, just like the vertical line where t=30
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads