username4743820
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, im a first year at LSE and im worried about failing 2 modules and hence being forced to resit the year. I wouldnt mind taking a year out however I'm worried about how the resit year may impact future internship/job opportunities? I'm interested in Law/consulting/banking so was wondering whether you knew of anyone who had to resit their modules and was then able to get a job/internship in the aforementioned sectors?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You have to get below 45% to fail. That is honestly really difficult.

Exams are also marked very leniently compared to work during the year. On one of my exams last year, only 2 essay questions came up that I had revised for (due to bad planning on my part), so I had to write the third essay based on vague memories of a lecture and my A-level syllabus. I still got a high 2:1 overall on that exam.

I know it's really easy to think that you've failed two modules, but in reality you almost certainly haven't.

Plus, hasn't the uni just introduced August resits? I think you may be able to resit the exams in August if you do fail them, meaning that, as long as you pass them then, you'll still be able to progress into second year.
username4743820
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)

Exams are also marked very leniently compared to work during the year. On one of my exams last year, only 2 essay questions came up that I had revised for (due to bad planning on my part), so I had to write the third essay based on vague memories of a lecture and my A-level syllabus. I still got a high 2:1 overall on that exam.

I know it's really easy to think that you've failed two modules, but in reality you almost certainly haven't.

Plus, hasn't the uni just introduced August resits? I think you may be able to resit the exams in August if you do fail them, meaning that, as long as you pass them then, you'll still be able to progress into second year.
I'm worried about more mathsy modules which is very easy to fail haha!

ah I never knew about august resits, thanks so much!

but just to consider the worst-case scenario, do you know of anyone who has had to take a year out and was still about to get an internship/job in banking/law/consulting?
MJlover
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hi there! Are you at the LSE? I just wanted to ask if u think it qould be possible to pass when i missed the last question of an exam because I didnt have enough time. I do history at the LSE and am in fear of failing since that exam, im in my final year and want to graduate finally so bad.

I am just asking because it sounds similar to your situation about using vague memories of lectures for question.

Could u explain further how lenient examiners can be in exams?

Thanks so much
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
Hi there! Are you at the LSE? I just wanted to ask if u think it qould be possible to pass when i missed the last question of an exam because I didnt have enough time. I do history at the LSE and am in fear of failing since that exam, im in my final year and want to graduate finally so bad.

I am just asking because it sounds similar to your situation about using vague memories of lectures for question.

Could u explain further how lenient examiners can be in exams?

Thanks so much
On this particular module, was there a summative essay, and if so, how much was it worth?

And how many essays were you supposed to write on the exam? Do you think the others went ok?
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On this particular module, was there a summative essay, and if so, how much was it worth?

And how many essays were you supposed to write on the exam? Do you think the others went ok?
Hi i had 30% worth of summatives. At 15 % for each summative i got 68 and 64. I was supposed to answer 4 questions and i missed the last question and had to bullet point the third question after the second paragraph. The other exams were fine though.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi i had 30% worth of summatives. At 15 % for each summative i got 68 and 64. I was supposed to answer 4 questions and i missed the last question and had to bullet point the third question after the second paragraph. The other exams were fine though.
Well, according to my calculations:

SUMMATIVES
0.15 x 0.68 = 0.102
0.15 x 0.64 = 0.096

EXAM
I'm going to assume that you got an average of 65% on the first two essays, 40% on the third essay and 0% on the last essay.
(0.65 + 0.65 + 0.4 + 0)/4 = 0.425
0.425 x 0.7 = 0.2975

TOTAL
0.102 + 0.096 + 0.2975 = 0.4955 ==> Above the pass mark.

Obviously that's assuming that my estimations of your exam marks are reasonably accurate - they could be slightly lower and you'd still pass, but if they're significantly lower then it will be a little bit more touch-and-go.
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
/
Well, according to my calculations:

SUMMATIVES
0.15 x 0.68 = 0.102
0.15 x 0.64 = 0.096

EXAM
I'm going to assume that you got an average of 65% on the first two essays, 40% on the third essay and 0% on the last essay.
(0.65 + 0.65 + 0.4 + 0)/4 = 0.425
0.425 x 0.7 = 0.2975

TOTAL
0.102 + 0.096 + 0.2975 = 0.4955 ==> Above the pass mark.

Obviously that's assuming that my estimations of your exam marks are reasonably accurate - they could be slightly lower and you'd still pass, but if they're significantly lower then it will be a little bit more touch-and-go.
Thanks! Sorry but could you give me the figure as a final mark, do u mean 49%?
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
/

Thanks! Sorry but could you give me the figure as a final mark, do u mean 49%?
Well, 49.55% which would round up to 50%
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, 49.55% which would round up to 50%
Cheers! Thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads