The Student Room Group

Do GCSEs actually matter ?

Scroll to see replies

I’d say yes, they do matter AND no, they don’t. You are the person you decide to be. GCSEs or not. And ultimately, you can take them at evening classes in the future.
Your grades, no matter how dire or stellar, will never reflect who you are. But, they can smooth the paths ahead or make the roads more challenging, tiresome and difficult.
I am retaking my maths GCSE over 30 years after the first attempts (D, and D again). I didn’t do the homework in the year leading up to my exams, let alone revision (doodling a boyfriend’s name, partying, anything but study).
I fought for my place to take A’levels. Passed. Just. Had I revised, had better attendance, the grades would have been better.
I fought like hell for a Uni place and it went to panels and meetings until I won over the key decison maker. Again, a lot of hassle and time could have been avoided by actually studying to begin with.
Degree done (1% off a 1st), a Post Grad done. So GCSEs shouldn’t matter, right? Wrong.
They did. Turns out a pass at GCSE maths equated to career jumps and promotions to the tune of a good £30k pa, until I gave up work. Board’s like to see GCSE maths on the CV of managers in charge of budgets. Director? You need Maths.
Me? I’m taking my GCSE maths again now. Over 30 years later. So I can get a minimum wage job in a school to fit around my kids.
Do GCSEs really matter? No. But without effort now, and passes, they can make your life harder than it needs to be. Now is your time and opportunity to try your best. Because when I was passed over at interviews or work, it was my effort (lack of) that infuriated me, not the grade.
Now. 2 kids. Full time job. Constant cleaning and feeding of children and appliances. And crammimg GCSE maths into 1 evening a week x
(edited 4 years ago)
I get that, must say never have I been asked to prove my “7 GCSE” on my CV and it’s never affected my pay.
Just the opportunity into uni and to do the equivalent on a dimpolma route.

I’ve done higher qualifications but now I’m back filling that Maths!
Original post by Olalola
I’d say yes, they do matter AND no, they don’t. You are the person you decide to be. GCSEs or not. And ultimately, you can take them at evening classes in the future.
Your grades, no matter how dire or stellar, will never reflect who you are. But, they can smooth the paths ahead or make the roads more challenging, tiresome and difficult.
I am retaking my maths GCSE over 30 years after the first attempts (D, and D again). I didn’t do the homework in the year leading up to my exams, let alone revision (doodling a boyfriend’s name, partying, anything but study).
I fought for my place to take A’levels. Passed. Just. Had I revised, had better attendance, the grades would have been better.
I fought like hell for a Uni place and it went to panels and meetings until I won over the key decison maker. Again, a lot of hassle and time could have been avoided by actually studying to begin with.
Degree done (1% off a 1st), a Post Grad done. So GCSEs shouldn’t matter, right? Wrong.
They did. Turns out a pass at GCSE maths equated to career jumps and promotions to the tune of a good £30k pa, until I gave up work. Board’s like to see GCSE maths on the CV of managers in charge of budgets. Director? You need Maths. And, ime, twits with little experience or common sense were promoted time and time again because they came armed with passes (no relevant experience or degrees). One of those twits is now the Director of the department I worked in. He is on a hefty wage.
Me? I’m taking my GCSE maths again now. Over 30 years later. So I can get a minimum wage job in a school to fit around my kids.
Do GCSEs really matter? No. But without effort now, and passes, they can make your life harder than it needs to be. Now is your time and opportunity to try your best. Because when I was passed over at interviews or work, it was my effort (lack of) that infuriated me, not the grade.
Now. 2 kids. Full time job. Constant cleaning and feeding of children and appliances. And crammimg GCSE maths into 1 evening a week for 8 months.... I wish I studied 30 years ago x
Original post by Vits1
only matters for medicine and other competitive courses IMO. Just do good in english and maths and you should be good

i am in yr 11 right now so i am not really sure but want to do medicine in the future.
i heard from an university student that apparently for medicine they only look at whether or not u got a 5 for maths and English and science for GCSEs but primarily just look at ur Alevels since that is the most important.

but from what ur saying, if u want to do medicine u have to do really good at English and maths. how good tho? 8/9s? or is 6/7 okay?

but my main question is- is what the uni student said true?
The higher the better because you are competeting for places, the course I’m
Trying to get on have 300 applicators for 10 places!
So you need to the best you can.
Original post by help_me_learn
i am in yr 11 right now so i am not really sure but want to do medicine in the future.
i heard from an university student that apparently for medicine they only look at whether or not u got a 5 for maths and English and science for GCSEs but primarily just look at ur Alevels since that is the most important.

but from what ur saying, if u want to do medicine u have to do really good at English and maths. how good tho? 8/9s? or is 6/7 okay?

but my main question is- is what the uni student said true?
oh wow u do medicine?! u must be really smart!

but don't they compare in terms of your results in exams? like your medical examinations?
how would GCSEs affect how you do in the future. eg if i get 5/6s for GCSE but then i start building myself up and start getting top marks in Alevels , shouldn't that get me closer to medicine since during that PRESENT time, i am excelling in what i want to study?

since u r competing with 299 other applicators, shouldn't the exam u r doing for that determine who gets in? and if there are a lot of people with really high grades, they would just look at ur a-level results right?
Original post by ArghhhNo
The higher the better because you are competeting for places, the course I’m
Trying to get on have 300 applicators for 10 places!
So you need to the best you can.
I’m going into dentistry, I’m in My 30’s and competing against student who are in recent study.
I suppose why a personal statement is so vital to get right, I can’t give the uni a reason not to look at that.
So I must get good grades to meet the application critic, GCSEs they are looking at 4 + , I’m confident with the stages after that.
Original post by help_me_learn
oh wow u do medicine?! u must be really smart!

but don't they compare in terms of your results in exams? like your medical examinations?
how would GCSEs affect how you do in the future. eg if i get 5/6s for GCSE but then i start building myself up and start getting top marks in Alevels , shouldn't that get me closer to medicine since during that PRESENT time, i am excelling in what i want to study?

since u r competing with 299 other applicators, shouldn't the exam u r doing for that determine who gets in? and if there are a lot of people with really high grades, they would just look at ur a-level results right?
Hi! I’m 18 currently doing my A Levels! I got quite good GCSEs and I found when looking at universities this past year they do look at them! My best advice for GCSE is to try your best and secure at least maths, english (science too). They matter for results day to get into college/sixth form and then they matter again when applying for uni (but the most important thing is your a level for uni). I’ll sign this off with my initials if you want to contact me for some help again! - JK
Original post by Gabbyyyxxx
I’m in year 10 soon to be in year 11 but I feel like everyone is over stressing about GCSES like I do understand because I’m stressing but sometimes I come to think of it do they actually matter? Please tell me ur opinions below

It’s annoying I know that teachers often say that GCSEs mean everything in life, I have spoken to many older and successful people who have said that GCSEs really don’t matter, I have also spoken to a lot of people in uni and they said that their uni didn’t even ask for GCSE results only A level results. If you fail at GCSEs or still do well but not as much as you hoped for, it is not the be all end all sort of thing
(edited 4 years ago)
Wait why have lots of people I have spoken to said that they do not matter later in life?
Original post by Greywolftwo
It’s annoying I know that teachers often say that GCSEs mean everything in life, I have spoken to many older and successful people who have said that GCSEs really don’t matter, I have also spoken to a lot of people in uni and they said that their uni didn’t even ask for GCSE results only A level results. If you fail at GCSEs or still do well but not as much as you hoped for, it is not the be all end all sort of thing

Schools need students' grades to get good ratings; teachers need good results from their students so that senior teachers can stop complaining about poor results. I think that it is not wrong to suggest that students' GCSE grades overall influence the school and the teachers more than the students themselves. For example, if the majority of a music class failed to reach their target grades, it wouldn't affect them too much since most people don't do music in university nor college. However, the teacher of that class and possibly the department as a whole would be told off by the teachers holding senior positions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Greywolftwo
Wait why have lots of people I have spoken to said that they do not matter later in life?

Because generally they do not matter later in life, especially for careers that require university degrees.
No, perhaps not for graduate careers (although teaching is an exception).

I have to assess job applications for C1, C2 and D positions, and one of the things we do look at is the candidate's GCSE (and other Level 1 and 2 qualifications) profile.

This is true even for people applying for posts in their 40s and 50s.

Perhaps it is true that GCSEs matter less later in life if you have a good honours degree, but most people in Britain are not university graduates.
Original post by MichaelTownly
Because generally they do not matter later in life, especially for careers that require university degrees.
Original post by 学生の父

I have to assess job applications for C1, C2 and D positions, and one of the things we do look at is the candidate's GCSE (and other Level 1 and 2 qualifications) profile.

Perhaps it is true that GCSEs matter less later in life if you have a good honours degree, but most people in Britain are not university graduates.

But much do GCSEs weight compared to other factors?
It does depend on the job, but 5 Cs (4s in today's money) at GCSE is still considered a benchmark of good secondary education for many non-graduate positions.
Original post by MichaelTownly
But much do GCSEs weight compared to other factors?
Reply 154
Original post by Olalola
They did. Turns out a pass at GCSE maths equated to career jumps and promotions to the tune of a good £30k pa, until I gave up work. Board’s like to see GCSE maths on the CV of managers in charge of budgets. Director? You need Maths.
Now. 2 kids. Full time job. Constant cleaning and feeding of children and appliances. And crammimg GCSE maths into 1 evening a week x

Original post by 学生の父

Olalola,That's just...wow. Do employers really have any flexibility on the situation? Because it boggles my mind that GCSEs, a qualification taken at 16 years old have so much weight on a person's future life opportunities. You'd have clearly proven that you have the skills necessary (at the interview) that would gain you whatever the pass is at GCSE is, right? What about your university degree, clearly it contained mathematical and linguistic elements that would exceed the requirement? It baffles me that employers, who are clearly smart enough to be in their positions can be so thick when it comes to the simple process of hiring workers. And I thought top companies filtering out leaving cert scores here was bad...

It's funny because one of the key things stopping Irish people from applying to English unis is the fact that they actually look at JC results, (rough equivalent of GCSEs taken at 15). Irish unis don't even know whether you've sat the JC, let alone care about your grades. But I didn't know that this actually continued right up into the job industry. The JC was stressful enough, but I can't imagine how ridiculously cruel GCSEs must be on young people. At least afterwards there's options, I suppose.
I used to think they didn't matter at all boy was i wrong if u wanna do medicine or dentistry (medicine related courses) they definitely look at gcse results especially the amount of 7-9’s u have, also if u wanna get into a good sixth form or collage there gonna look at ur gcse results u should definitely try to get into a good sixth form one that will help u get the best grades for uni, i just stuck to my schools sixth form literally the worst decision
I’m in year 10 soon to be in year 11 but I feel like everyone is over stressing about GCSES like I do understand because I’m stressing but sometimes I come to think of it do they actually matter? Please tell me ur opinions below

Why do people go to school? It is surprisingly easy to get out of, and it is much easier and quicker to do your GCSEs on you own. You can study at your own pace, you can stop and start when you feel like it and you will be well rested as you won't have to get up in the morning.
Original post by 学生の父

How actually do you assess GCSE grades? Do you value certain subjects more than others? Are there any subjects that you don't really care much about? Do you give extra credit for students who have taken more than 8 subjects for GCSE?

What about people with other qualifications they have higher than a GCSE but lower than a degree such as HNC, A Level, BTEC, City & Guilds, etc?

Some of them (including myself) have moved directly into them without taking GCSEs.

Original post by 学生の父
It does depend on the job, but 5 Cs (4s in today's money) at GCSE is still considered a benchmark of good secondary education for many non-graduate positions.

That's actually a legacy from the CSE era when a grade C at GCSE was made equivalent in value to grade 1 at CSE.

I find it cause for concern that employers rarely care about whether that C grade was achieved by taking the foundation or higher GCSE exam paper - their curricula are different. This resulted in a culture in schools under the NuLab government to focus efforts onto making students only sit the foundation level paper as an easy way for them to get the C grade rather than encouraging students to sit the higher level paper and providing effective teaching and support services for students taking it.
People on this thread all have different opinions but I think the moral of the story is that GCSEs can matter (particularly maths and English), although no one knows at the young age of 15/16 whether their GCSE results are going to matter to them later in life. This being the case, no one should say to a young person, "don't worry about your GCSEs, not doing well in them never held me back" because everyone takes a different path in life and some people are going to need those high grades to progress in their career. It's incredibly frustrating not to have the right GCSEs grades to be able to do what you want to do, so young people should take them seriously and do their best to get good grades first time around.
Original post by harrysbar
People on this thread all have different opinions but I think the moral of the story is that GCSEs can matter (particularly maths and English), although no one knows at the young age of 15/16 whether their GCSE results are going to matter to them later in life. This being the case, no one should say to a young person, "don't worry about your GCSEs, not doing well in them never held me back" because everyone takes a different path in life and some people are going to need those high grades to progress in their career. It's incredibly frustrating not to have the right GCSEs grades to be able to do what you want to do, so young people should take them seriously and do their best to get good grades first time around.

The concern I have is the way in which so many employers and public sector organisations demand 5 GCSEs but they rarely specify the subjects. Apart from English language and mathematics, is there any sensible and intelligent reason why anybody should demand 3 other GCSE subjects but not specify the subjects?

To me it looks like a form of consistently perpetuated ill thought out credentialism.

Does triple science count as 3 GCSEs or just one to most employers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending