The Student Room Group

Medicine at University and A - Levels

I really want to become a doctor and i think i want to be a surgeon, but i did really bad in my biology exam in my GCSE's. What can i do and what can i study in my A - Levels so i can manage to get into Uni and do Medicine? Because as far as i know doing biology, chemistry and maths was the only route for me to become a doctor/ surgeon.
Hey, I thought exactly the same as you last year - I thought I had messed up my biology exam and therefore my GCSE but when it came to results day I was pleasantly surprised. The exams for biology are always quite hard and so the grade boundaries are quite low in accordance.
Just keep going forward with your other exams and hopefully on results day you will get the grade you need.

I study A Level biology now and it is quite hard - it requires a lot of dedication and determination, so if you don’t like it or are not sure about it, I don’t recommend taking it. For medicine, chemistry is a given for most universities but I’m sure some universities would be happy accepting other science subjects in replacement for biology. Having said that, biology is a major component of the medicine course.

Don’t worry and keep on going forward - if you really want to do medicine, you’ll get there in the end 😊
Thank you soooooo much for the support that you are giving me. And yes i really want to do medicine but i know that my biology exam went horrible and except of the fact that i am really scared about what will i do since i can not take biology, i am also worried about my parents beacuse school is extremly important for them and failing such an important exam for me is really serious. I really appreciate for the support that you are giving me!
Original post by _.angelica._
Hey, I thought exactly the same as you last year - I thought I had messed up my biology exam and therefore my GCSE but when it came to results day I was pleasantly surprised. The exams for biology are always quite hard and so the grade boundaries are quite low in accordance.
Just keep going forward with your other exams and hopefully on results day you will get the grade you need.

I study A Level biology now and it is quite hard - it requires a lot of dedication and determination, so if you don’t like it or are not sure about it, I don’t recommend taking it. For medicine, chemistry is a given for most universities but I’m sure some universities would be happy accepting other science subjects in replacement for biology. Having said that, biology is a major component of the medicine course.

Don’t worry and keep on going forward - if you really want to do medicine, you’ll get there in the end 😊

Quick Reply

Latest