The Student Room Group

Bus company trying to take money out of my account

So when work pays me I only put small amounts into my account (enough as I need for the day) just Incase I loose my card or something stupid like that

On Saturday I got on a bus, told a little lie about my age and got a child ticket

On Sunday I got a text from my bank saying “Sorry, your payment of £1.60 on card ending 40** failed as there wasn't enough money in your account. Please check your account balance“

I then got a notification from Apple Pay saying the exact same thing

And then, this morning I got the exact same text agin.

I’m 99% sure it’s the bus company (EYMS) trying to take money out of my account cause the ticket was £1.60 and I only used Apple Pay on the bus

So can anyone help explain why they’re doing this and if I can stop it?

Cheers
Original post by HiMyNameIsLewis
So when work pays me I only put small amounts into my account (enough as I need for the day) just Incase I loose my card or something stupid like that

On Saturday I got on a bus, told a little lie about my age and got a child ticket

On Sunday I got a text from my bank saying “Sorry, your payment of £1.60 on card ending 40** failed as there wasn't enough money in your account. Please check your account balance“

I’m 99% sure it’s the bus company (EYMS) trying to take money out of my account cause the ticket was £1.60 and I only used Apple Pay on the bus

Cheers

You need to speak your your bank and ask what is happening - but quite frankly because you openly told a lie, you deserve all you get. These companies are run as businesses and subsidised by me - the taxpayer - so you are stealing from me too.
I don't get the question, how can i stop a bus company charging me for a ticket i bought? :confused:
Reply 3

Cheers

Its pretty self explanatory: you got on the bus and paid using apple touch, the payment went through however you simply didnt have enough money in your account (it was paid through overdraft). The bank has now notified you that you dont have enough money, and to put some in your account before they put interest on it.

You cant do anything about it other than putting the £1.60 in your account.
I had £20 in and the account and I was took out of my account after I paid. I can’t have an overdraft as i used a debit card
You are a thief, pure and simple. If you had taken two apples from a shop and only paid for one, you would be called a shoplifter. I'd support the bus company banning you from travelling, if they chose to do this.
Reply 6
I had £20 in and the account and I was took out of my account after I paid. I can’t have an overdraft as i used a debit card

Most debit account nowadays have an overdraft for a limited period (usually a few days) with a max amount. Usually payments take awhile to come out of your account, so if you've spent all the money beforehand then you'll receive these notification to let you know. All in all its best to just put some money in your account and the problem will be over. If it continues then you should probably discuss it I your local branch.
Bet you're a right laugh on a night out.
Original post by barnetlad
You are a thief, pure and simple. If you had taken two apples from a shop and only paid for one, you would be called a shoplifter. I'd support the bus company banning you from travelling, if they chose to do this.
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad

Tbh it aint that much of a big deal, and the OP isn't a thief. Liar, maybe, but not a thief since he still paid for the bus fare even though it was the incorrect one. The responsibility lies on the bus driver. Bus drivers are responsible to charge the appropriate fare for each passengers (even if he has to ask for ID), and he deemed that the OP was young enough for the child ticket, so its his error in judgement really.
Original post by username4659730

Cheers

I may have missed something here, but do you have the means or authority to communicate with your bank and ask them how much someone is trying to take and who it is? Perhaps the bank can be contacted over the telephone or maybe they have the internet and you can look online?

How many times have you told lies and bought the wrong ticket fraudulently?
Original post by 999tigger
Perhaps the bank can be contacted over the telephone or maybe they have the internet and you can look online?

Banks don't have internet, well known fact.
Reply 11
Original post by username4659730

Cheers

You're confused as to why they're trying to take the payment for the ticket???

Contactless is an "offline" transaction - it can take a few days to actually come out of your account. Apple has tried to take it from your bank account and you don't have enough.

You now owe someone the money, probably Apple.
Original post by IWMTom
You're confused as to why they're trying to take the payment for the ticket???

Contactless is an "offline" transaction - it can take a few days to actually come out of your account. Apple has tried to take it from your bank account and you don't have enough.

You now owe someone the money, probably Apple.

I believe I may have given the OP too much credit and assumed there was a £20 balance in there which had been mysteriously taken i.e the amount being taken was more than £1.60.
Reply 13
I believe I may have given the OP too much credit and assumed there was a £20 balance in there which had been mysteriously taken i.e the amount being taken was more than £1.60.

Looks to me like they don't understand how contactless and offline transactions work.

Hope they don't have to use Pay at Pump!
Original post by IWMTom
Looks to me like they don't understand how contactless and offline transactions work.

Hope they don't have to use Pay at Pump!

Until we know how much and who by then we dont have a clear picture of what is happening. My instinctive reaction besides getting that information would be to put some more money into the account. I would be far more concerned about other aspects. Maybe it was just a troll.
Reply 15
Until we know how much and who by then we dont have a clear picture of what is happening. My instinctive reaction besides getting that information would be to put some more money into the account. I would be far more concerned about other aspects. Maybe it was just a troll.

It seems pretty clear to me - Apple tried taking the £1.60 from the OPs bank, it failed, they tried again the next day, it also failed.
That's weird

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending