I would try to help her if that's what you mean
Reply 3
Original post by xylas
I would try to help her if that's what you mean

How?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
How?

Talk to her about it. See if there's anything you can suggest that she would be willing to try. Or if she has any suggestions you can offer to do it with her. Otherwise go see a doctor.
why would I treat her any different?
Reply 6
Original post by ayyyy.x

what if you were treating her really badly before for sleeping a lot and being “lazy” and just generally treating her badly but she tells you that she has depression. Would that mean you would treat her better or worse?
Original post by ayyyy.x

Cause she has depression??? Obviously you'd do something about it. At the very least the parent would be a bit more lenient and comforting.
Play some happy songs to her
Reply 9
I'm assuming you're the "daughter" in this scenario?
Cause she has depression??? Obviously you'd do something about it. At the very least the parent would be a bit more lenient and comforting.

state the obvious, I know she has depression but what I meant was I would still treat her the same and not in a way in which she thinks I am withdrawing from her or I can't help her. Some people prefer their parents treating them the same rather than changing their behaviour and acting completely different.
Original post by ayyyy.x
state the obvious, I know she has depression but what I meant was I would still treat her the same and not in a way in which she thinks I am withdrawing from her or I can't help her. Some people prefer their parents treating them the same rather than changing their behaviour and acting completely different.

silly question, obvious answer
How'd she get depression in the first place?
what if you were treating her really badly before for sleeping a lot and being “lazy” and just generally treating her badly but she tells you that she has depression. Would that mean you would treat her better or worse?

I would treat her the same. I mean giving her special treatment whilst having depression won't make it easier but it should be my place to try and understand and see where she needs the help and etc.
silly question, obvious answer

a simple question and required a simple answer. The answer wasn't obvious if everyone has different views.
My dad started treating me more when I was diagnosed. He started inviting me to stay at the weekends, usually bribing me with my favourite foods. It’s like he was suddenly attentive to the fact I wasn’t taking care of myself so started doing more for me in a subtle way. At the time I didn’t make the connection that that was when he started showing more interest in my life and keeping me busy.
Original post by sinfonietta
My dad started treating me more when I was diagnosed. He started inviting me to stay at the weekends, usually bribing me with my favourite foods. It’s like he was suddenly attentive to the fact I wasn’t taking care of myself so started doing more for me in a subtle way. At the time I didn’t make the connection that that was when he started showing more interest in my life and keeping me busy.

Did that method work?
bump:angry:

Please dont bump so early after creating a thread :smile:

To answer your question i would endeavour to treat my hypothetical daughter well no matter the circumstances and encourage her to seek professional support
Did that method work?

What do you mean?
Original post by sinfonietta
What do you mean?

Are you like free of depression now?

Quick Reply

Latest