The Student Room Group

Should I take A-level Philosophy

I'm taking computer science and mathematics for alevel, i might do art as well but Philosophy sounds more academic, I was wondering how difficult philosophy is and what it is like eg, do you have a lot of content to revise, is the subject as a whole difficult to learn. Plus I am in an extremely Christian religious household and my parents do not want me to take a subject that makes me contradict their beliefs. Would I still be able to get high grades by abiding by this rule, is it a lot of content to revise, please give advice :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by nakeishajm
I'm taking computer science and mathematics for alevel, i might do art as well but Philosophy sounds more academic, I was wondering how difficult philosophy is and what it is like eg, do you have a lot of content to revise, is the subject as a whole difficult to learn. Plus I am in an extremely Christian religious household and my parents do not want me to take a subject that makes me contradict their beliefs. Would I still be able to get high grades by abiding by this rule, is it a lot of content to revise, please give advice :smile:

It is extremely hard and will involve learning things which contradict Christian beliefs, though they will be presented neutrally and of course there's no suggestion that you 'have' to believe or not believe in God.

Will be great training for your mental powers if you take to it though.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe312
It is extremely hard and will involve learning things which contradict Christian beliefs, though they will be presented neutrally and of course there's no suggestion that you 'have' to believe or not believe in God.

Will be great training for your mental powers if you take to it though.

Ahh, I see- what kind of questions come up?
I did Philosophy as long as you weigh up all points of view equally and study the books hard rereading again and again, and get help if needed for exam or work really hard you should be fine.
Reply 4
Ahh, I see- what kind of questions come up?

Questions about the standard attempts to prove God's existence, like as an explanation of the existence of the universe, the appearance of design in the universe and arguments against God's existence like the existence of Evil.

There's also the topic of the mind/soul, what is the nature of consciousness, are there arguments for it being non-physical, can science explain consciousness.

Then there's moral philosophy, what is the best system to determine right from wrong, is there even such a thing as right or wrong or is it just subjective feelings in our mind etc.

Finally there's epistemology, the question of what we can know, whether we can know anything, couldn't we be in the matrix and what are the arguments against such arguments which seem to show that we can't know anything.

The ultimate feature of Philosophy A level is learning how to argue and counter-argue.
Reply 5
it sounds so interesting thank you for your help
Original post by Joe312
Questions about the standard attempts to prove God's existence, like as an explanation of the existence of the universe, the appearance of design in the universe and arguments against God's existence like the existence of Evil.

There's also the topic of the mind/soul, what is the nature of consciousness, are there arguments for it being non-physical, can science explain consciousness.

Then there's moral philosophy, what is the best system to determine right from wrong, is there even such a thing as right or wrong or is it just subjective feelings in our mind etc.

Finally there's epistemology, the question of what we can know, whether we can know anything, couldn't we be in the matrix and what are the arguments against such arguments which seem to show that we can't know anything.

The ultimate feature of Philosophy A level is learning how to argue and counter-argue.

If you're thinking about doing Philosophy/Ethics i'd just go the full hog and do English language instead. Philosophy is more mickey mouse than English and you'll still have to remember theorists in both. Coming from someone who did both (dropped Philosophy after AS), I can tell you Philosophy&Ethics is completely different to RE Gcse... I also did Compsci and maths too and am now going onto do CompSci at uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Stemstudies
If you're thinking about doing Philosophy/Ethics i'd just go the full hog and do English language instead. Philosophy is more mickey mouse than English and you'll still have to remember theorists in both. Coming from someone who did both (dropped Philosophy after AS), I can tell you Philosophy&Ethics is completely different to RE Gcse... I also did Compsci and maths too and am now going onto do CompSci at uni.

I think he’s talking about philosophy A level not religious studies. Not sure though. Micky mouse =?
Original post by Joe312
I think he’s talking about philosophy A level not religious studies. Not sure though. Micky mouse =?

Yeah I figured that, Mickey Mouse as in you can count the jobs it'll lead to on one hand if you're thinking about it that way. Though it's a subject mainly taken to prove to uni's that you are able think, discuss and evaluate.

Depends which university and subject at university you want to take. If you’re aiming for oxbridge they consider certain subjects as softer. Though, don’t compromise prestige of a subject for worse grades. If you’re likely to get the best grades in both subjects then choose either. :>

Quick Reply

Latest