The Student Room Group

what a-levels should I pick for Law/International Relations?

Hello, I have about a week till my GCSEs will be over.

We’ve already picked our A-levels, I picked French, History, English Literature and Psychology. At first, I really wanted to do something with Law, so I picked these subjects without thinking if I’d actually like them.
Now, I’ve decided that I am definitely going to go into either Human Rights/International Relations. I’m definitely going to do French and Psychology, but I’m not sure about the other two: I’m especially put off with History (finishing the History exams was such a relief and I don’t really like the look of the course.) I’ve always been good at geography, and I much prefer it to history. I know you don’t need specific A-levels for Law, but if I choose Geography I can’t do English Lit.

Anyone do/did these courses? What were they like, and what A-levels did you choose?
Reply 1
History and English Lit are perfect for Politics & IR and Law, I just finished my History and English Lit a levels and hopefully going on to study IR in a few months loool, also, government and politics will make u a stronger candidate. All 3 are hard work though so.... be aware
to answer the question i'd say: Law, history, politics
So you're definitely doing French and Psychology....and since you much prefer Geog to History, I would say go with Geography or English Lit and forget the idea of a 4th A level, if your school will allow it?
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
So you're definitely doing French and Psychology....and since you much prefer Geog to History, I would say go with Geography or English Lit and forget the idea of a 4th A level, if your school will allow it?

Yeah, that’s allowed. What I’m thinking though, is to take four and drop one, in case I don’t like one.
Reply 5
Original post by HumbleBee_x
to answer the question i'd say: Law, history, politics

Sadly, my school doesn’t offer Law as an A-level anymore.
Original post by barboraaa
Yeah, that’s allowed. What I’m thinking though, is to take four and drop one, in case I don’t like one.

Ok so you'll be starting French, Psychology, English Lit or Geography and one other.

There are no particular A levels you should pick - maybe Religious Studies (or whatever they call it in your school), Economics (if you are ok at maths) or Politics?

Quick Reply

Latest