The Student Room Group

Child psychologist

I want to be a child psychologist when I am older but I don't know what type of things I need to do to become one. What subjects do I choose for a levels and should I take child psychology in uni? Also what type of things should I do for work experience?
Reply 1
do biology chemistry and any other 3rd subject (psychology isn't essential)
in terms of uni course i feel like you should do general psychology as it is wider jic you change ur mind
Original post by syrup.02
do biology chemistry and any other 3rd subject (psychology isn't essential)
in terms of uni course i feel like you should do general psychology as it is wider jic you change ur mind

I want to do child psychology because I prefer to work with children because I think I can handle them well. Should I do health and social care instead because I really hate chemistry?
Reply 3
i feel like a btec would limit your options

maths, physics and psychology are good a levels as well if chems not ur thing.
Original post by ABCyoung
I want to do child psychology because I prefer to work with children because I think I can handle them well. Should I do health and social care instead because I really hate chemistry?
i feel like a btec would limit your options

maths, physics and psychology are good a levels as well if chems not ur thing.

So I could do biology psychology and what about german
Reply 5
yep german would be a good one to have as very few ppl do it
you could also do a humanity subject if you wanted as well
So I could do biology psychology and what about german
yep german would be a good one to have as very few ppl do it
you could also do a humanity subject if you wanted as well

I would do geography but at a level it's so long and boring
Reply 7
mmm fair enough,
then bio psych and german sounds like the best combo tbh
mmm fair enough,
then bio psych and german sounds like the best combo tbh

Thank you
Be careful as there isn't a specific job called a child psychologist. If you train as a clinical psych you will train to work across all ages, it would only be the job you do after qualifying that would mean you could work with children
Original post by Interrobang
Be careful as there isn't a specific job called a child psychologist. If you train as a clinical psych you will train to work across all ages, it would only be the job you do after qualifying that would mean you could work with children

I don't understand the last bit
I want to be a child psychologist when I am older but I don't know what type of things I need to do to become one. What subjects do I choose for a levels and should I take child psychology in uni? Also what type of things should I do for work experience?

As interrobang mentions i would try to identify a specific career as "child psychologist" isn't a specific job, then you might get more useful advice l:smile:

This is also an area I'm interested in. I did psychology, geography and English language at A level as English had a child language section.

I have accepted an offer for a general psychology course at Plymouth university as they have a baby lab where they do research on young children (as well as it being close to home). They give you the opportunity to do a year's work experience in the lab which I am very interested in. But obviously look at courses and open days and choose the best uni for you.

I didn't do any work experience myself but obviously it would help. I assume any nursery or primary school placement would be useful as you'd have experience working with young children.
If for example you got a job in CAMHS then you would be working with children (up to 18) but you would have to train with adults too
I don't understand the last bit
You may want to consider applied behavioural analysis as a long term goal.
Hi, I want to do the same thing, and I was advised to just do the subjects you are best at and most confident in, because thats what really counts, however a science or psychology may be useful depending on which uni you want to go to
Original post by Chanpanda
This is also an area I'm interested in. I did psychology, geography and English language at A level as English had a child language section.

I have accepted an offer for a general psychology course at Plymouth university as they have a baby lab where they do research on young children (as well as it being close to home). They give you the opportunity to do a year's work experience in the lab which I am very interested in. But obviously look at courses and open days and choose the best uni for you.

I didn't do any work experience myself but obviously it would help. I assume any nursery or primary school placement would be useful as you'd have experience working with young children.

Do you think general psychology would be better than just child psychology because it would widen my career choices
Do you think general psychology would be better than just child psychology because it would widen my career choices

I never looked at a specific child psychology course because I wanted to keep my options open and also had interest in other areas of psychology. I would just compare both courses and see which would you think you would be happiest doing.

I work in child psych (research) and no nobody who did their undergrad in it specifically. I would avoid as it also looks a bit weird on a CV.

Quick Reply

Latest