The Student Room Group

I failed one of the mandatory units to pass my hnc. Pls help?

So I've just finished HNC applied sciences and managed to get 12 credits out of 15 which would be a pass but I failed one of the mandatory units because I failed one of the outcome (first sitting and second). I got a conditional at university and they want me to pass and get a grade B to get into first year. Will I have to redo the unit again next year? Or is there any possibility that I the progression board will give me a pass? Can I retake unit while doing undergraduate course? I really don't want to wait till next year to redo the unit just because I failed one outcome of it. Can I make an appeal?
Original post by loulou0123
So I've just finished HNC applied sciences and managed to get 12 credits out of 15 which would be a pass but I failed one of the mandatory units because I failed one of the outcome (first sitting and second). I got a conditional at university and they want me to pass and get a grade B to get into first year. Will I have to redo the unit again next year? Or is there any possibility that I the progression board will give me a pass? Can I retake unit while doing undergraduate course? I really don't want to wait till next year to redo the unit just because I failed one outcome of it. Can I make an appeal?

My understanding is you will need to pass all units to be awarded the qualification.
If you are going to appeal, then on what basis will your appeal be?
Ask your college when the next time to resit will be?
I would be more concerned about the impact doing a HNC will have on your available HE funding because it normally counts as being equivalent to a first year at university. You need to sort this out with SFE otherwise you will end up with insufficient funding for a degree.
A levels or an Access course make much more sense imo and then entry onto a degree with foundation year if your grades are weak.
Reply 2
You don't have to pass all the units. You have to pass Chemistry to pass HNC. I failed my resit for one of my outcomes. And the resit paper was not fair because it had topics which we did not cover. So I'm gonna try to appeal for tha reason.
Original post by 999tigger
My understanding is you will need to pass all units to be awarded the qualification.
If you are going to appeal, then on what basis will your appeal be?
Ask your college when the next time to resit will be?
I would be more concerned about the impact doing a HNC will have on your available HE funding because it normally counts as being equivalent to a first year at university. You need to sort this out with SFE otherwise you will end up with insufficient funding for a degree.
A levels or an Access course make much more sense imo and then entry onto a degree with foundation year if your grades are weak.
Assuming HNCs work the same in England as Scotland, you don't always need all 15 units to be awarded the HNC and just depends how your own place has put together it's course and module structure, 12 can do it but you obv need the core ones, they won't award the HNC as a whole without it. However all our uni offers were conditional upon us passing all 15, so it was quite possible to pass the HNC with an A grade but fail to be considered for progression.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I think if you get 12 credits that's a pass even if you fail one of the core units? But I'm not sure.
Original post by StriderHort
Assuming HNCs work the same in England as Scotland, you don't always need all 15 units to be awarded the HNC and just depends how your own place has put together it's course and module structure, 12 can do it but you obv need the core ones, they won't award the HNC as a whole without it. However all our uni offers were conditional upon us passing all 15, so it was quite possible to pass the HNC with an A grade but fail to be considered for progression.
You don't have to pass all the units. You have to pass Chemistry to pass HNC. I failed my resit for one of my outcomes. And the resit paper was not fair because it had topics which we did not cover. So I'm gonna try to appeal for tha reason.

I would need to see the rules to see what the exceptions are.
Normally they are quite careful about making sure the paper covers part of the syllabus, so do your research and be sure.
If I were in your position then I would be more bothered about the impact on funding than doing an extra year.
I might even look at just doing an access course to avoid using further funding.
Reply 6
I won't have to do the whole year again. Just that one module. I would have to do that module again next year if I have to. But I think if you get 12 credits you can still get into uni but they will make you redo that module as well.
I would need to see the rules to see what the exceptions are.
Normally they are quite careful about making sure the paper covers part of the syllabus, so do your research and be sure.
If I were in your position then I would be more bothered about the impact on funding than doing an extra year.
I might even look at just doing an access course to avoid using further funding.
I won't have to do the whole year again. Just that one module. I would have to do that module again next year if I have to. But I think if you get 12 credits you can still get into uni but they will make you redo that module as well.

You need to provide the rules on which you are basing your explanation. I would be expecting them to require 120 credits to get the qualification.
As I said my bigger concern is financing.
Reply 8
The course is 15 credits. 12 would be a pass.
So for example the three mandatory units are
Graded unit level 7 worth 1 credit
Fundamental Chemistry lever 7 worth 2 credits
Laboratory skills level 7 worth 2 credits

The uni I applied for gave me a conditional. I need to pass the HNC to get I to 1st year. So to pass I need to get 12 credits.
I have passed 6 mandatory units but not chemistry. But I've managed to get to 12 credits by passing other units.

You need to provide the rules on which you are basing your explanation. I would be expecting them to require 120 credits to get the qualification.
Reply 9
I'm not worried about finance. I'm not repeating another year so Im not quite sure why you think I would be worried.
Reply 10
I have seen a thread here. He was saying he has to pay £88 to sit one module? But since its worth 2 credits he would have to pay double that.
The course is 15 credits. 12 would be a pass.
So for example the three mandatory units are
Graded unit level 7 worth 1 credit
Fundamental Chemistry lever 7 worth 2 credits
Laboratory skills level 7 worth 2 credits

The uni I applied for gave me a conditional. I need to pass the HNC to get I to 1st year. So to pass I need to get 12 credits.
I have passed 6 mandatory units but not chemistry. But I've managed to get to 12 credits by passing other units.

I have seen a thread here. He was saying he has to pay £88 to sit one module? But since its worth 2 credits he would have to pay double that.

You should link the rules and then I can look for myself how the course works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending